Bakers refuse Gay wedding cake - update: Supreme Court rules in favour of Bakers

Soldato
People confuse a right to free speech, doesnt mean anyone has to listen to you. Im sure in the UK at least it used to be that a private company is allowed to say no thanks, if it was a government bakery then I dont know.
However the law as it is recently might well support rights overriding other peoples rights which makes it all a mess.

If the courts seriously support someone suing for not being able to force others actions it seems silly, if they are suing after being attacked in some way then obviously its different

Last edited:
Soldato
Enters bakery run by a muslim.

"hello i would like a cake with a nice picture of the prophet mohammed on it please"

*sits back and eats popcorn*

Not quite the same thing. I think requesting a cake made in the form of a roast suckling pig with a slogan "Crackling is the food of the Gods" would be closer to the mark!

:D

Soldato
This is just a case of homosexuals who aren't happy enough being homosexual in private, but then want to ram it down everyone else's throats on some sort of mission to homosexualise the world.

I don't care for any religion nor anyone's private sexual practices, but I feel sorry for those Christians, they must feel like they've been raped by two gays.

One of the parties is clearly just there ONLY to cause conflict, and it is not the bakery.
I highly doubt these homosexuals ONLY wanted a cake. Otherwise they would have just gone to another bakery and this whole charade would never have happened.

And the message this gives to other crusading homosexualists is not the right one. It nurtures conflict, "Go to christian bakeries and order gay cakes".

Last edited:
Associate
This is just a case of homosexuals who aren't happy enough being homosexual in private, but then want to ram it down everyone else's throats on some sort of mission to homosexualise the world.

I don't care for any religion nor anyone's private sexual practices, but I feel sorry for those Christians, they must feel like they've been raped by two gays.

One of the parties is clearly just there ONLY to cause conflict, and it is not the bakery.
I highly doubt these homosexuals ONLY wanted a cake. Otherwise they would have just gone to another bakery and this whole charade would never have happened.

And the message this gives to other crusading homosexualists is not the right one. It nurtures conflict, "Go to christian bakeries and order gay cakes".

It certainly is a crusade exactly the same as the 2 gays who took the b&b to court which was only chosen because it advertised it's Christian ethos.
If I go in that shop and tell them I want "Ashers cake shop is rubbish" iced on my cake by law they will have to do it.

Caporegime
OP
Pretty dodgy - if Britain First had a Britain First 'Gay wing' they'd be 'inextricably linked' to same sex relations too.

Could they then sue if a Muslim owned (or for that matter, business owned by anyone with an above normal IQ and a conscience) refused to bake a cake/print a leaflet supporting Britain First's gay wing... fighting 'homophobia carried by those muslamics wot we don't like innit'

I mean campaigning against Christianity, Islam etc.. are things a gay rights group could quite legitimately campaign against as much as campaigning for gay marriage.

Caporegime
OP
It certainly is a crusade exactly the same as the 2 gays who took the b&b to court which was only chosen because it advertised it's Christian ethos.
If I go in that shop and tell them I want "Ashers cake shop is rubbish" iced on my cake by law they will have to do it.

Yeah but in that instance they were discriminated against for being gay.

In this instance no one is stopping them from buying a cake, it is buying a cake and having a political message printed on it that the owners don't agree with.

I mean say a protestant wants an 'orange order' cake made by a Catholic baker, obviously the orange order is 'inextricably linked' to his religion - is it then religious discrimination if the Catholic baker then doesn't want to bake it? Or shouldn't the banker, who might well otherwise be perfectly happy to serve a protestant a cake, be allowed to turn down that specific request for that specific cake due to the political message the customer wanted on it (not who the customer is) even if the political message is linked somewhat to a protected part of the customer's identity (religion, sexuality etc..)

The ruling (and/or) the law sucks - whether the ruling is right as far as the law is concerned isn't something I'm qualified to comment on - but in terms of right/wrong I think this is very wrong - whether that is the result of legislation or dodgy interpretation of legislation.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's quite sad to see the number of people that are supposedly ok with gay people ... So long as it's in private.

Straight couples don't have to worry about who will accept the order or not.

Should they have gone to a Christian baker, probably not. But the fact that this is news shows just how far we have to go.

Caporegime
OP
This all seems very close to trolling more then 'rights' but theres a youtube vid like that from the kfc branch in dubai someone asks for bacon and I cant post it here :o

Sydney AFAIK

you'd potentially be arrested for trying that (and especially for filming it) in Dubai

Soldato
I don't care if they are gay, straight, Chinese or Jedi, I think it's laughable how you can't choose who to serve in your own business.

You can choose who you serve.

The mistake made in this case as I said before is giving a reason for refusing to do something.

They should have just flat out refused service and given no reason, which is well within their rights and left it at that.

Soldato
I want a transsexual, metrosexual, bi sexual, hetro sexual, halal, gay and lesbian wedding cake. :eek:

Come on the must be someone who can make it. ;)

These type of stories to me are just pmsl! :D

Soldato
It's quite sad to see the number of people that are supposedly ok with gay people ... So long as it's in private.

Straight couples don't have to worry about who will accept the order or not.

Should they have gone to a Christian baker, probably not. But the fact that this is news shows just how far we have to go.

Pathetic. You go too far already buddy!

Back
Top Bottom