Baltimore Bridge

Soldato
So more details starting to come.

Vessel tried to slow its forward heading by backing down, they had deployed the aft anchor as seen in some helicopter footage which appears to have been dragged along trying to slow down. The issue is when a vessel this large backs down being a single prop ship, they tend to career off course.

There were no tug boats nearby to assist, in the 3-4 minutes it took for the vessel to go off course and hit the bridge. The had contacted the port and notified them of an emergency on board.

Last edited:
Soldato
I saw a couple of videos from a channel What is going on with shipping? (Which seems like a good channel) and it showed they were slowing.
Reading the comments… :/ I weep for mankind.

Last edited:
Caporegime
"
So more details starting to come.

Vessel tried to slow its forward heading by backing down, they had deployed the aft anchor as seen in some helicopter footage which appears to have been dragged along trying to slow down. The issue is when a vessel this large backs down being a single prop ship, they tend to career off course.

There were no tug boats nearby to assist, in the 3-4 minutes it took for the vessel to go off course and hit the bridge. The had contacted the port and notified them of an emergency on board.

What an incredibly unfortunate time for the vessel to lose power.

Soldato
One thing I don't understand is, why didn't the tower holding the bridge have protection piers (or whatever they are called) around it like most other large bridges in shipping lanes have to protect against this kind of thing ?

Associate
These ships are not "piloted" they are largely autonomous, the course is plotted and the ship navigates on its own, very little manual navigation is done, even less so on vessels this large.

Whilst true that while out at sea in open water they will be almost certainly using the autopilot and autopilots on modern vessels are very advanced, in this incident I'd be very surprised if they were in anything other than hand steering due to the confined waters. In any case, the track and the autopilot settings are still programmed by a human and I've seen autopilot do some weird stuff over the years, particularly in strong currents etc.

I do this for a living and have been a deck (navigation) officer on large ships for over a decade.

The speculation so far that it was a power loss on board looks on the money to me. Something like that happens at the wrong moment then you've pretty much had it tbh. Could be all sorts of causes for the blackout, the investigation will figure it out.

Caporegime
My main interest is in the ship's maintenance.

When the power went out, there were no external emergency lights to be seen. I'd have thought that if a ship suffered a total loss of power, that several battery systems would come online and light it up to prevent other vessels at sea crashing in to it, and if it suffered a breach, to light up the path to the lifeboats. Yet it just went totally dark, like a ghost ship. Going by the power repeatedly coming on and off in the short clip we've seen, it's possible that this ship was struggling for some time and that the ATS couldn't take it any more and packed up.

I'd also like to know how a ship of this size managed to get itself in to this situation in the first place. The amount of safety and alarm systems in place to prevent this exact type of scenario taking place would have had to be immense, unless it's a 40 year old 3rd world vessel running on 10p coins. That captain's deck will likely have lit up like a Christmas tree several times before getting to this point. And I don't mean in the last few minutes, I mean the last few days, if not weeks.

The investigation is certainly going to be interesting, I suspect we're going to see a company cutting corners, ignoring engineers, and forcing their staff to continue sailing despite the obvious warnings.

Last edited:
Soldato
Seen this on the news this morning, crazy how fast that came down. Was speaking with a colleague who is In the region, used a lot for shipping and ports around there

I wouldn't want to be driving over that when it hit

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom