Bambu X1

Don
I've been reading a lot about this machine and it looks utterly amazing. It's a kickstarter at the moment but they have sent out a large number of review units already.
All of the senior management team are ex-DJI.

Key features are:

Multi material
Lidar scanning of the bed to do things such as automatic pressure advance calculation, first layer check etc.
Extremely fast (500mm/sec and 20mm/sec^-2)
Heated chamber

I've backed it and I'll let you know what it's like once (if) it turns up.

Don
OP
Will be interested in your thoughts, I think it does look a great printer but it just takes away the tinkering aspect which is what I enjoy the most.

I enjoy tinkering too, hence I won't be getting rid of either my large CoreXY or my tool changer. The Bambu is replacing a bedslinger that I built based on a Prusa Bear years ago.

Don
OP
Yeah, so I might have been a little premature. Happens to us all at some point in our lives.
The label has been printed but the shipment hasn't been handed over to DPD from the local warehouse yet. Maybe tomorrow.

Don
OP
Yeah, the coloir change does waste a lot of filament. It's the same with any machine that uses a single nozzle for multiple colours / materials. If you want less waste then you need a toolchanger or an IDEX.
I have a Toolchanger and it's great when it works. Pain in the ass to deal with though.

My main reason for having this though is not multi-colour prints. It's to have 4 different filaments loaded and being able to choose at the time I send the print job what to print it with rather than having to go and unload / load filiament.
At the moment I've got it loaded with PLA, PETG, ASA, and soluable support material. I think that's what it will be set up with going forwards.

Don
OP
Tough one. I still use my large CoreXY even though I have the X1. The X1 still has a relatively limiting build volume compared to a Voron 2.4 or Ratrig V-Core for example.
I'm still using my Toolchanger too because it wastes almost no filament when changing materials.

However, having printed a bunch of stuff on the X1 over the last week it's now my go-to machine. It's just so damned fast and reliable. Send the job, wait a while, get the thing. Quality is excellent too.

One thing I will say though is get the high-temp plate. The cool-plate is fine but you have to use glue stick on it or the prints adhere to it too well. I switched to the high-temp plate and haven't had to use stick at all. I've printed PLA, ASA, and ABS on it so far with no issues whatsoever and no tweaking of the default Bambu Studio profiles. Just slice and go.

Don
OP
I'm considering replacing my large CoreXY (which is a ******* child of a BLV Cube and a Ratrig V-Core) with a Voron. It's a pity the Voron uses MGN9 rails rather than 12s because the ones in my CoreXY are well pricy Hiwin items.

Back
Top Bottom