Barbie (2023)

Soldato
Decided to go and see this film today with my daughter (primary school age) and I have to say I wasn't impressed with it.

After all the buzz I thought it would have been a lot better.

Sure it had its moments the Kens having their 'beach off scene' made me chuckle but otherwise it lacked much to keep either my daughter or me interested (my daughter wanted to leave about 1/2 way through).

I was aware of some of the 'politics' of the film before I went in so that didn't come as a surprise but I just don't think it's as good as the hype would suggest.

On the subject of the 'politics' its interesting how some people can come out of some of these sorts of films thinking they have an empowering message for one group or another but yet the full analysis puts that supposed empowering take seriously into question...

It reminded me of the whole MCU/Wakanda scenario where some people like to gush over how it shows a positive 'afro futuristic' nation. But when you ask the question of why ultimately Wakanda is the way it is the answer isn't empowering at all.

I.e. did Wakanda become great because of the dedication and tireless work of it's inhabitants over years?

No the ultimate reason is a because a magical space rock just happened to land in one tribes area. Wakanda has not even developed any of the more advanced governance that larger more complex societies require to flourish and still have a explicit 'might is right' system for who gets to be at the top.

Back to Barbie land and the 'female'* Barbie's occupy all the positions of, what in the real world would be, power and responsibility but as we can infer from when Ken tries to get such a job in the real world none of these jobs in Barbie world seen to require those holding them to be competent or even dedicated. Vehicles after all drive themselves and tasks require little if any physical interaction and are just 'acted' out.

Essentially Barbie land is the way it is because its a magical version of the toy line where Barbie's various roles are are just solely cosmetic in nature and, as the movie shows, Ken only exists as a very pathetic accessory in human form for Barbie in some scenarios

* Well apart from the at least one male one that of course they had to include in 2023

This all may of course of been entirely intentional but it seems confusing that some have taken offence at the supposed political message.

The 'Kens', at least as much as the Barbies, are just as much the products of an idealised and for most hard to reach physical condition just without any pretend purposeful roles in Barbie land like their toy counterparts.

I suppose the 'mum's' story and her changed relationship with her daughter were supposed to be the positive and empowering parts of the story? But her 'deprogramming' of the Ken indoctrinated Barbie's just seemed to consist of her reciting a load of word salad feminist talking points to the Barbie's when the speech she was giving wasn't even relevant to them as it should not of been in any way relatable to the world they were from!

It was also never explained what Ken had done to the Barbie's to make them the way they were when 'stereotypical' Barbie returned with mum and daughter. But the Barbies seemed perfectly happy in their new roles in relations to the Kens and the Kens themselves were obviously more fulfilled. Given that both versions of Barbieland/ Kenland are fantastical you might be left with the impression that the 'Kenocracy' was preferable especially as (Stereotypical) Barbie didn't even want to remain in Barbie land after the other Barbie's were returned to their previous positions!

Neither the mum nor the daughter did much else of note. The mum did a short piece of reckless driving to try and get away from the bumbling Mattel goons that would have likely caused serious damage to her tyres and or suspension if tried for real and the daughters character arc was to go from a bitchy eye rolling teen in the real world to an almost non speaking role when they arrived in Barbie land. The daughter's new found 'respect' for her mother seemed to be largely predicated on her discovery that her mother wasn't quite as sensible as she had thought previously and that she was in fact, as the movie put it, a 'bit crazy'.

And also what was the point of the mother's partner/husband? His role was a complete waste of a salary and he and his attempts at learning another language could have been cut and the film would have been a few seconds shorter and a bit better for it!

I think the main think about the film that irked me about the film was how wasted Michael Cera and Will Ferrel were and how long its been since either of them have been in a great or even good movie (Juno, Superbad, Anchorman Blades of Glory and Elf all being in my opinion very good in their own ways).

So in summary any political message the film might of been trying to convey was garbled and it just failed to entertain either my daughter or me very much.

at best a 4/10 from me.

For children I would suggest the Mario film or Elemental as recent/ current releases to go and watch before the end of the holidays and for adults there are plenty of better, more entertaining and/ or more thought provoking alternatives out there.

Last edited:
^^ I saw on the news today that Barbie has taken the top spot.

I'm still yet to watch Barbenheimer, but if I did, I would watch Oppenheimer first because that's a more negative film, then watch Barbie second. Watching them in that order would leave me on a more positive note.

Commissario
^^ I saw on the news today that Barbie has taken the top spot.

I'm still yet to watch Barbenheimer, but if I did, I would watch Oppenheimer first because that's a more negative film, then watch Barbie second. Watching them in that order would leave me on a more positive note.
The classic Ghibli style, watch the bomb drop film, then the generally happy feeling kids film.

Soldato
I'm honestly shocked this has done so well and can only assume it's off the back of the brand and misplaced hype. I had the displeasure of seeing it two weeks ago after going out for an early dinner, my other half and I didn't fancy going for Oppenheimer at 8pm due to how long that movie is.

What an absolutely awful movie, I didn't laugh once and after 10 to 15 minutes we were both debating walking out but held on because we felt the hype must be warranted.

I don't want to hear the words patriarchy or dojo mojo casa house again. Saying those words over and over again isn't funny.

Suspended
I know we all like different things, but tapping out 20 minutes in to Barbie? What was the issue with the first 20 mins?

Isn't that all in Barbie land before they even make it to the real World?

Associate
I know we all like different things, but tapping out 20 minutes in to Barbie? What was the issue with the first 20 mins?

I got to the bit in the real world where Will Ferrel appears as the boss of Mattel, may have been a bit longer than 20 mins tbh.

More or less everything about it grated on me. Lots of people seem to like it though so it’s obviously doing something right… just not for me in any way whatsoever.

Last edited:
Soldato

Just ignore them. A typical downloader's review tbh :rolleyes:

"Yeah bro it was so awful I had to stop watching after 10mins I couldn't follow what was going on over my COD game whilst Whatsapp'ing my cousins and watching the critical drinker on YT it wasn't even funny anyway1"

Commissario

"Yeah bro it was so awful I had to stop watching after 10mins I couldn't follow what was going on over my COD game whilst Whatsapp'ing my cousins and watching the critical drinker on YT it wasn't even funny anyway1"
I'm suddenly reminded of something my brother mentioned, apparently on one of the forums he's on a lot of people kept complaining that films and TV stuff didn't make sense.
It turned out a lot of them were idiots who were watching things that required you to pay at least some attention whilst playing games, and running it at 1.25x intended speed so they could watch more stuff.

Soldato
Yeah @Werewolf Way of the world nowadays. If you read carefully in these forums, half of the poor reviews are something along those lines. Eg a film just out in the cinema “It was rubbish, I turned it off halfway through lol”.

Last edited:
Associate

Those are some outrageous generalisations based on someone saying they didn't enjoy a film and turned it off.

I play FIFA not COD :mad:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom