Barbie (2023)

Associate
Genius bit of marketing it has to be said. Pretending the film is for young girls in order to pull in the parents. Seems rare to witness a film that is surely destined to be a cult classic having such a strong opening week. Near the surface it seems like a cautionary tale about the fall of feminism, but dig a little deeper, and perhaps it's really a provocative temperature check, designed intended to stimulate discourse, rather than making a statement. I for one will be following the online chatter closely. Certainly one of the more interesting releases of recent times.

Suspended
Saw it with my wife earlier and 8/10 from me. @Nitefly summed it up perfectly so there's little I can add to that.

All these men online saying Margo Robbie looks plain/ugly without makeup are mental. When she first appears on screen (which is a great homage to 2001) she looks stunning in that swimsuit. I couldn't think who else could play what we think of as Barbie in 2023 to be honest.

Most of the jokes landed, though weirdly I didn't think Will Ferrell and co were that funny. Michael Cera and Ryan Gosling were great though.

Biggest issue wasn't related to the movie but the cinema.The air-con was barely working (small screen, completely full, very hot). I literally had sweat dripping down my back :(

Suspended
Not that I agree, but just to point out that women are saying it too.

And fyi the term "mental" isn't considered P.C. these days, which as OcUK's head of virtue signalling may or may not concern you.

Soldato
Seen this, it was great. Good sense of humour, excellent use of surrealism. I think the feminist points were generally really well made. It was fun to learn about the world through the eyes of a pair of toys.

I also think it's hilarious (in a laughing at not laughing with way, to be clear) that Ben Shapiro thought he was making a great political point by playing with a doll in exactly the same way as depicted by a little girl in the same film he was criticising. Congrats on creating your weird Barbie, Ben.

Caporegime
Seen this, it was great. Good sense of humour, excellent use of surrealism. I think the feminist points were generally really well made. It was fun to learn about the world through the eyes of a pair of toys.

I also think it's hilarious (in a laughing at not laughing with way, to be clear) that Ben Shapiro thought he was making a great political point by playing with a doll in exactly the same way as depicted by a little girl in the same film he was criticising. Congrats on creating your weird Barbie, Ben.
He is hilarious, "Waaaah, feminist movie harping on about fragile masculinity, waaah! I'll show them! I'll be the poster-boy for fragile masculinity by burning dolls!"

Soldato
Genius bit of marketing it has to be said. Pretending the film is for young girls in order to pull in the parents. Seems rare to witness a film that is surely destined to be a cult classic having such a strong opening week. Near the surface it seems like a cautionary tale about the fall of feminism, but dig a little deeper, and perhaps it's really a provocative temperature check, designed intended to stimulate discourse, rather than making a statement. I for one will be following the online chatter closely. Certainly one of the more interesting releases of recent times.

Hmmm, huge budget, big studio, massive box office sales are the antithesis of what makes a cult classic, they're generaly smaller productions, on small budgets which generally do poorly at the BO, or just don't have any real impact first time round at the cinema.

I don't think cult films generally emerge from long established massive IP's either.

Last edited:
Suspended
Having watched it, my friend asked me if it would be suitable for his 4 year old daughter, and I said I doubt it, as it would be too complex.

But am I wrong? Is this kid friendly? I'd probably say 7-8 onwards to actually begin to understand/appreciate it?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Having watched it, my friend asked me if it would be suitable for his 4 year old daughter, and I said I doubt it, as it would be too complex.

But am I wrong? Is this kid friendly? I'd probably say 7-8 onwards to actually begin to understand/appreciate it?

I’d say slightly older - 10 years old, really.

I mean, it’s about a person being disturbed by own their thoughts about death and anxiety, which is subject matter probably beyond the reach of young children. It might upset very young children.

I’m generalising and stereotyping but it’s probably most relatable to people that have a bit of adult life experience under their belts (25+ years old). I’m sure there are many teenagers who have gone through some horrendous life drama that makes my own life look like a comfy picnic, but you get what I mean.

Suspended
I’d say slightly older - 10 years old, really.

I mean, it’s about a person being disturbed by own their thoughts about death and anxiety, which is subject matter probably beyond the reach of young children. It might upset very young children.

I’m generalising and stereotyping but it’s probably most relatable to people that have a bit of adult life experience under their belts (25+ years old). I’m sure there are many teenagers who have gone through some horrendous life drama that makes my own life look like a comfy picnic, but you get what I mean.
I watched Robocop on video when I was 7, so it's hard for me to be a judge of what is/isn't suitable :cry:

Man of Honour
I watched Robocop on video when I was 7, so it's hard for me to be a judge of what is/isn't suitable :cry:

Hah - in fairness every child is different and some might be fine, others not. I know some 10 year olds that screamed at Jurassic Park, which I saw earlier than that and was fine.

Just relay the content and let them make up their own mind.

… Robocop is disturbing even as an adult :eek: :p

Soldato
Superb film! Oppenheimer will win all the Oscars but Barbie is sitting next to it as best best film this year. It’s clever, funny and has a great cast. I’ll watch it again

Back
Top Bottom