BARGAIN - OcUK 24" with DVI (*VA Panel) for £179.99+VAT (This Week Only Deal!!)

Soldato
What's the difference between the TN and PVA panels apart from the reflection and viewing angle?

well i must have the TN panel as its the glossy type. When im using the monitor i cant really say i can see the reflection. Infact, nearly all laptops i come across these days have the same glossy type of screen. Even many LCD TV's. Its only noticable on really dark or black backgrounds.
Come to think of it, i like the glossy look -its like the Samsung LCD TV's.

As for viewing angles, well, i have yet to come across a TFT which does 180 degrees horizontally and vertically and this is no exception!

I find that on this monitor if your watching a movie and your eyes are below the normal sitting position (ie if your lying on your bed and the monitor is higher than your eye level) then the colours appear a lot darker. I normally have to point the monitor down so the colours appear normal and i have the normal viewing angle that i would as if i was sat at my desk. But this again, is like my 19" LG TFT and i believe this is natural and not a fault of the monitor.

I think all TFT/LCD's suffer if your watching from a much lower position. Normally everyone views from the normal seated position where either your eyes are inline (like your office desk position) or above the monitor (like your sitting room TV position).

Associate
I too am not happy with this screen. I will be sending it back tomorrow and, whilst I know you get what you pay for, this is not worth having even for free. The image has enough aliasing on the text to look like it is non native, the colours are uneven and there is some awful backlighting at the bottom.

The viewing angle is a disaster in my book. If you line your head up with one side of the screen you lose definition and colour on the other, I would say there is only around a ten degree area where you can put your head and get any kind of consistant image.

Very disappointing. That said, maybe I got a duff one and I am happy for those that like it. I am afraid that I would pay more to get a display that won't give me eye strain in a matter of hours.

Associate
Gibbo can you confirm 100% that I'll receive a VA panal before I order ?

I'm wanting to order one asap but I've no interest in receiving a TN based panal. I know the main website states it is a VA, but in your B grade section you have a few of these monitors stating they're TN based.

I don't fancy ordering if it's going to be a bit of a lottery on what panal i get, so it would be nice if you could confirm it'll be a *VA before I make the order. Cheers.

*credit card is waiting*

Associate
I'm one of the unlucky 50 with the TN panel. However I must stress how impressed i am with OCUK's customer service, excellent responce to my querry and it's being picked up monday afternoon. to be replaced with a *VA panel.

I will buy all my IT equipment from you guys in the future and will reccomemend to all my friends.

Associate
Gibbo can you confirm 100% that I'll receive a VA panal before I order ?

I'm wanting to order one asap but I've no interest in receiving a TN based panal. I know the main website states it is a VA, but in your B grade section you have a few of these monitors stating they're TN based.

I don't fancy ordering if it's going to be a bit of a lottery on what panal i get, so it would be nice if you could confirm it'll be a *VA before I make the order. Cheers.

*credit card is waiting*

If it says VA then it's a VA. Gibbos earlier post explains all you need to know.

Associate
If it says VA then it's a VA. Gibbos earlier post explains all you need to know.

Not really mate. Seems there's a few TN panals in the mix as well.

It clearly states in the pic below (from the B grade section) that the monitor uses a TN panal, thing is, ocuk have never listed the TN version on their main site (as far as I'm aware).

Also:

I'm one of the unlucky 50 with the TN panel.

So If you don't mind I think I'll wait for an official response before parting with my cash.

Soldato
OK. Gibbos response summed this up.

He stated that they had sold some 3000 of these monitors, out of which a batch was contaminated with about 50 monitors that were kitted out with TN panels. This explains mkel78's response, that he has one of these TN equipped panels. In their defence, OCUK have stated that they will replace any OCUK DGM monitor's that turn out to be TN equipped, free of charge.

He also went onto state that once the contamination was detected, they went through their inventory and looked for any 24" DGM monitors that had the TN panels. Those that had the TN panels were moved to the B-grade section and sold at a low price. This explains what you have found on their website.

Basically, OCUK know what is going on and are rectifying the problem. The chances of you getting a TN panel are low, though I would imagine, it is still possible (if it slips through), in which case, just ask for a replacement, which OCUK have agreed to provide with no hassle and free of charge, as per Gibbo's earlier post.

Its a good monitor dude and I think its worth the risk. And this comment is coming from someone who feels LCDs are poor compared to CRT monitors. I still think this, but this monitor comes close to CRT quality. In some areas, this monitor betters my Sony CRT, but overall, the Sony CRT still rules.

Associate
Woops, I hadn't even noticed Gibbo's post on the last page:/ I just seen the TN models in B grade and thought WTF.

Anyway, thanks for clearing that up, I'm gonna go ahead and order, like you said, if I get a TN it can always be returned. :)

Associate
Gibbo, just a question before I buy the monitor.

Since I live in Malta, will I still be able to get a new monitor if the one I receive is part of the contaminated batch?

Soldato
yes and no - I use my PC for gaming but mainly its my media center as well, If I buy a TV, it will be a downgrade in resolution and I will have all the additional kit like tv tuners that I just dont need.

However, having been watching prices for the last few months, I think you are right as I can not see 32 LCD's ever coming down in price whereas 32" TV's have really dropped..

Soldato
For all those who have RMA'ed, do OCuk come and pick the monitor up or is this something you have to arrange with a courier?

They arrange to collect it. I chose Tuesday morning for example. Unfortunately they will not do a swap there and then so I will be without until Thursday.

Associate
:o

i just got my replacement dgm panel and its shiney i guess meaning its a TN panel,
it seems to work ok but what makes the TN panel so bad over the other type?
and is it worth sending it baack to get a mat finish panel i initally payed over £220 pounds for?

Back
Top Bottom