Basic Guide For Overclocking Q6600 on Asus P5K-E (and similar) Motherboards

Soldato
Finally got my P5K-E in and running and I'm liking it so far. :)

It arrived with the 0503 bios and seems to have fairly normal amounts of vdroop and vdrop.
1.45v in bios = 1.43 in vista = 1.42 under load.
I think I'm going to stick with this bios for now and change it if I need to for 45nm cpu's when they arrive.

Currently trying an [email protected] (400x8) :p. Has anyone had to adjust FSB, PLL or NB voltage to get an fsb that high or should it be ok on 'AUTO'?

Last edited:
Associate
After reseating my Tuniq had a fiddle round with clocking this evening.

Currently prime stable at 3.2 (400x8).

Vcore- 1.25
Temps 60,57,56,56

Got my Ram on auto volts for 5,5,5,15 timings, reckon i need a boost the get the tighter timings on the XMS 6400C4?

Associate
How do you downgrade your bios? I tried going into options but it wont let me. Incompatible EEPROM. I think I've really mucked my board. Basically, the computer started having problems getting into windows even at stock. It kept freezing \ restarting before booting the login screen. So, in my wisdom I decided to flash the bios to 602 and see whether that would solve the problems I've been havng with OC and getting it to boot up properly again. Well, it didnt help and started giving me checksum errors. So I decided to go up to 903 see if it was just a corrupt flash, didnt work and now I can't go back. This thing is annoying the hell out of me. Built it, worked fine. Started to OC it, started to get the hang of things then it began randomly not letting me into windows. Now its refusing to boot half the time. Have run mem test for 7 hours and it hasn't found any errors. Can run prime all day at stock and 3.2 np with good temps although highish volts (1.386) and the computer runs smoothly once at XP. Finishes 3d mark with reasonable results, plays UT3 smooth @ max settings no probs but now its just dieing and I dont know why. What can I do?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
How do you downgrade your bios? I tried going into options but it wont let me. Incompatible EEPROM. I think I've really mucked my board. Basically, the computer started having problems getting into windows even at stock. It kept freezing \ restarting before booting the login screen. So, in my wisdom I decided to flash the bios to 602 and see whether that would solve the problems I've been havng with OC and getting it to boot up properly again. Well, it didnt help and started giving me checksum errors. So I decided to go up to 903 see if it was just a corrupt flash, didnt work and now I can't go back. This thing is annoying the hell out of me. Built it, worked fine. Started to OC it, started to get the hang of things then it began randomly not letting me into windows. Now its refusing to boot half the time. Have run mem test for 7 hours and it hasn't found any errors. Can run prime all day at stock and 3.2 np with good temps although highish volts (1.386) and the computer runs smoothly once at XP. Finishes 3d mark with reasonable results, plays UT3 smooth @ max settings no probs but now its just dieing and I dont know why. What can I do?

did you sort this?

Soldato
Hey thanks for writing this, just what I needed although I have a P5e mATX board the options for the BIOS are virtually the same it looks like. I'm running at stock at the mo cos I'm waiting to get better cooling on the cpu and chipset(which goes to 60 on load without OC!). Though the mem has me confused. I got the Geil ULL stuff as well which is showing as 5-5-5-18 1.8V in cpuz, this is different to what is written on the Geil specs on the side of the RAM, I take it the mobo didn't detect the settings automatically? Can I leave them as they are or is it essential to change them?(bearing in mind I haven't OCed yet)

Back
Top Bottom