Basic Guide For Overclocking Q6600 on Asus P5K-E (and similar) Motherboards

Associate
blend is good for testing overall system stability but to make sure you want to run a good few hours of Small FFTs as well.. this will really stress the CPU and will load it to the max, you will note that your temps will be high on a small FFTs run as well..

But overclock looks good :)

If your feeling brave you might consider looking at the base of your heatsink / the surface of the CPU as you have some variance in coretemps there.. a bit of lapping would probably see 45/46c across the board and give you some more headroom.. :)

Glad you found the guide usefull feel free to post about anything you think needs more explaining etc..

I did notice that my temps are running cooler now, 51,52,47,47. was going to post about it but thanks for the answer.

as for lapping, i might do that in the future, but i only really ever wonted 3GHz at temps less the 55C. but I am feeling hungry for more now.

also I'm noticing my clock and my FSB are varying by about 0.5MHz is this normal?

Associate
little more help please.

I'm working my way up to 3.5GHz. i am currently primming at 3.420GHz whcih seams to be working ok 2 hours stable, but i'm getting a bit worried about the voltage I'm starting to put thought the CPU, i was wondering if anything else would aid stability. so a can lower the voltage. or am i just being a big girls blouse

current settings are

380X9
Vcore bios = 1.4
Vcore = 1.378
VID is 1.312
stepping G0
BIOS is 0503

temps are fine. 56,57,50,50 under load
system at 41

ram is under clocked to 760 and times are set to the maximum.

if i go any higher, i get a core fail during prime and then a lock up and BSOD. what are my options at this point?? up Vcore or are there other tricks

Associate
This a very nice guide full of info. I have just done my first overclock on my q6600 3.2 ghz but i would like to get about 3.6 what vcore would you recommend at this clock currently using a tuniq tower 120

Jza

Jza

Associate
i tried the "easy" overclock in the first post, 8 * 400 with 1.325V.....

Put the northbridge strap to 333mhz

Memory to what manufacturer says (ballistix stuff)

Got Bios error on boot - saying my overclock didnt work :)

With 8 * 375 it works fine....

I've got the P5 K Premium Wifi

Been reading the comments on BIOS updates - i have a choice of 0504 0204 or 0102

More volts? Update BIOS?

Associate
hey,

I used the same "easy" overclock in the first post, to the last dot. Meaning:
Ratio CMOS Setting] = 8
[FSB Frequency] = 400
[PCI-E Frequency] = 101
[DRAM Command Rate] = 2
[CPU Voltage] = 1.325v
ram timing = 5-5-5-20
Except! I used the newest update of bios and not the older one recommended.

And it worked fine with all the stress tests and so on. But my built in NIC stopped working. I had read this could happen so I wasn't that worried. So I put in a normal NIC, that aswell doesn't work! I even have the wifi board, so I thought I'd try with that, but it didn't work either.
But it was very weird, as my connection worked up to the point that it could send/receive 1 packet. So using ping in command worked for some IP addresses. I also tryed my network on my laptop, and that worked like normal. So it wasn't about ISP or anything.

After this I went to bios and tryed changing anything that could be working against me, but nothing helped. So I decided to load defaults. That didn't work either!

I had to reinstall windows xp to get everything working like normal again.

Can anyone think of what went wrong? Can it just be the fact that I used new bios version? I really wouldn't want to have to reinstall XP every time I try to overclock :p

Associate
First of all many thanks to Pneumonic for the excellent guide :D
This was my first attempt at OCing so the majority of settings were as laid out by Pneumonic.

Bios is as out of the box - P5K-E/WiFi-AP Release BIOS 0503

[Ratio CMOS Setting] 8
[FSB Frequency] 400
[PCI-E Frequency] 101
[DRAM Frequency] DDR2 800Mhz
[DRAM Command Rate] 2T
[DRAM Timing Controls] 4-4-4-15
[CPU Voltage] 1.2875
[DRAM Voltage] 2.10
[CPU Voltage Dampener] Enabled

Everything else - Auto

I'm at work at the moment so have no screenies to post but everything seems stable at 3200Mhz.
Core temp shows all cores are running between 40-50.
Prime95 ran with no problems so dropped the CPU Voltage to 1.2875. Need to run some longer testing tonight to make sure this is ok.
Altered DRAM settings as recommended to 2.1 Voltage and Timing Controls to 4-4-4-15 after initially setting them to 5-5-5-23.

Any feedback on how to push things a little further would be appreciated.
Are my memory settings ok as I used those stated for my OCZ Reaper?

Thanks in advance :cool:

Updated with screenshots

Last edited:
Associate
Hi,

I want to OC my system, but i cannot even locate 0602 to reflash the BIOS.

I found P5K-E/WiFi-AP Beta BIOS 0602 on the ASUS site but "ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/mb/fl...sUpdt61002.zip" is no longer there.

Is 0602 a BETA version?

TIA

Associate
Thanks.

I did try 9 * 400 but kept BSOD'ing after a few mins and i couldn't increase the Vcore as my temps were around 65 and didn't want to increase the vcore anymore.

I've managed to OC to 9 * 389 and still testing using prime. Prime ran for over an hour and temp was 63-65. I've decreased the vcore by one notch, and tested for 20 mins and temps were around 62. i'll decrease the vcore one one notch further tonight and run vocre for much longer and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted!

Associate
your rig is pretty much identical to mine, I could never get 400*9 to work, had to settle for 390*9 in the end, hope you have more luck than me though :)

My setting so far are (still test for stability using prime):

Ratio CMOS Setting] 9
[FSB Frequency] 389
[FSB STRAP to NB] 333mhz
[PCI-E Frequency] 101
[DRAM Frequency] DDR2 776..??Mhz
[DRAM Command Rate] 2T
[DRAM Timing Controls] 5-5-5-23
[CPU Voltage] 1.4125v
[DRAM Voltage] 2.10
[North Bridge Voltage] 1.55
[FSB Termination Voltage] 1.3

Whats yours? be good to compare :)

Associate
Not to much different to yours tbh -

Ratio CMOS Setting] 9
[FSB Frequency] 390
[FSB STRAP to NB] 333mhz
[PCI-E Frequency] 101
[DRAM Frequency] DDR2 780Mhz
[DRAM Command Rate] 2T
[DRAM Timing Controls] 4-4-4-12
[CPU Voltage] 1.4125v
[DRAM Voltage] 2.10
[North Bridge Voltage] Auto
[FSB Termination Voltage] Auto

I really should change the auto settings but its working so I left it. Also I have Transaction booster enabled but set to 0, I will try the 1/2/3 and see if it makes any difference to the PC.

Associate
My temps are much higher than yesterday and getting BSOD now.

FAILED - Prime Small - 4mins Temps 65/66 BSOD
[C1E Support] Disabled
[Prime95 - Round Of Checking under AdvOptions] Enable
Ratio CMOS Setting] 9
[FSB Frequency] 389
[FSB STRAP to NB] 333mhz
[PCI-E Frequency] 101
[DRAM Frequency] DDR2 778
[DRAM Command Rate] 2T
[DRAM Timing Controls] 5-5-5-23
[CPU Voltage] 1.3750
[DRAM Voltage] 2.10