*** Battlefield 1 ***

Man of Honour
The heroes need to be reduced to one a map, if any. It's obvious that they are OP deliberately and can ruin the balance

I've no problem with them doing that, can remove them altogether if they want, but its a strange thing, I have had no trouble with any of the heroes. All of them have been dispatched quite easily. The tankbuster rifle guy dies very quick if you catch him unawares, the flamethrower guy dies very quick if you drop him from distance and the big machine gun guy dies very quickly if you chuck gas grenades at him or catch him from behind. Can honestly say I havent found them OP at all.

Soldato
DICE have totally messed up with this map for the open beta

The Alpha map was amazing fun and showed the game off...but most didn't get to try it as was closed alpha.
Now when the open beta is on for MILLIONS they do this map and putting people off the game lol

Shocked they haven't released the Alpha map as a "Thank you" for like a couple of days before the end of the beta but on Twitter they even ruled that out!

To late for me and my clan mates... We've been stung before with battlefield titles so the old "This isn't the complete game so you cant judge" will never wash with us again (not that you said that, your point is valid).

Tho cant complain, saved me a small fortune in cancelling my pre-order!

Soldato
Hardcore mode will fix most things like auto repair and the mount of rounds its take to kill.
But heroes in put downer on the gameplay but maybe some servers will have them off.

Man of Honour
Hardcore mode will fix most things like auto repair and the mount of rounds its take to kill.
But heroes in put downer on the gameplay but maybe some servers will have them off.

Or just kill them easily using the methods I mentioned. Its something I find so odd, people say that Heroes are OP and tanks are OP. Yet both are easily killed if you use the scissor to their paper, its just that people arent bothering to. Few people bother to attack tanks with Cannons or Antitank Rockets, preferring instead to run around them. Few people bother to use range against the flamethrower or gas/rear attacks against the machinegunner, preferring instead to keep running into them. Doesnt make sense to me that people on the one hand are claiming that BF1 is too easy compared to past BFs , yet want it made even easier because they arent using the right tools for the job.

Only thing on the beta map which I would say is OP are snipers, in part down to the layout of the map and in part down to the mechanics of the snipers weapon.

Caporegime
The "Heroes" aren't even a factor for the most part, the only one that can do much damage is the flamethrower as he can engulf a few players at the same time. MG guy usually gets pumped when faced with a couple of players and the tank hunter doesn't seem to last any length of time 1-1.

Soldato
Had some fun last night, but when I have a bad round it's truely shocking. On one round, missed all the vehicle/horse spawns at the start, and from then on every spawn I was immediately killed. Other rounds I did much better, but there seems to be so much inconstancy (Not that I'm surprised, early versions of BF have been like that for me since BC2).

Still haven't reached rank 1 for any class even though I'm ~ rank 31 and kept leaving the servers after each round.

There is no auto repair, and like BF4 I very much doubt HC will be in any way balanced.

Soldato
I've plugged in my xbox controller to try the flying, whent 0 to 15, decided flying is not for me. Still not happy with the game it seem to be very inconsistent (for me) with the sniping....the bullet drop is probably the most frustrating part with leading the shots on a moving target to be another frustration. I am not sure if it because I cannot get used to it, my muscle memory is still dialled to bf4 and every time I play this I need to adjust on my game play. Its not a fault of the game tho its just different...

Associate
Lame OP bullet spounge hero pick ups

No need of specific class to rep anymore, the auto repair whilst flying and tanking is insulting. What happened to good old days of returning to airfields and landing.

The spawn system, it's as lame as I've ever seen, just helps players stay close to the fight ie doesn't punish for being killed.

Flying is stupidly arcade like, no optimum turning speed, can fly the biplanes like chuck Yeager, it's laughable the flying model.

Don't get me started on the red outline around soldiers through buildings so you see exactly where the run to so you can revenge spawn them.

Left click full mag dump for the win. Just hold away, no loss of accuracy, no increasing recoil.

I really could go on and on. This isn't battlefield, this is a console experience now for the care bears

You've hit the nail on the head here. This was also my impression from playing it last night. I'd have thought they'd have learned from the criticisms of Battlefront but they seem to be porting over much of the dumbed down gameplay and mechanics from that. This feels like a casual gamer centric first person shooter targeting console users but it's doesn't feel like Battlefield to me. I've bought and played every Battlefield game from the start and this is the first time I think I'm going to give one a miss at launch. I might pick it up when it's heavily discounted but I'm in no rush at all.

I'll admit that their take on WW1 has annoyed me from the start and to the point that even viewing it as a fictional war for the purposes of a game I still found myself finding it hard to take. I really am trying to just see it as a game and forget the amount of people running around with machine guns and the overpopulation of vehicles on the battlefield but I'm struggling.

I'll give it another go tonight. I want to like it as I all other Battlefields but im honestly struggling to like anything about this latest offering.

Soldato
I think some valid points have been raised:

My view based on my play as a medic so far

- I don't think the behemoths/heroes actually impact the game that much or at least I haven't noticed a massive swing as a result of their inclusion. More of a nuisance than anything. Heroes are quite easy to take down at range given how slow they move.

- I agree that respawn time is way too short and it's too easy to spawn back to the fight! Medics aren't really useful in terms of revives as a result as you might as well wait 10 seconds and spawn back on a squad member. The game is also significantly faster paced as a result as you are never too far from the fight.

- The map is pretty bad for armoured vehicles dominating when players aren't countering them. However it does seem slightly skewed that the tanks can rotate turrets pretty quickly but the artillery emplacements move at the slowest pace ever meaning you have no chance if spotted which is highly likely given most placements are in plain sight. Some balancing is needed on that especially as not everyone is carrying around assault weaponry.

- Gunplay feels significantly better imo on higher ranked weapon unlocks, still not ideal but definitely better than initial impressions.

- Being in an effective squad as is the case in most battlefield games makes a massive difference to the enjoyment factor!

- Need to fix the horse armour as people are using it as an advantage in 1v1.

Associate
The game is aimed at the casual gamer, I have even read from one person that the game plays better with a controller and it is meant to be a competitive FPS game?

Battlefield 4 was a good game because it met a middle ground in between tactical realism and casual gameplay but Battlefield one is too casual.

Save your money and buy Verdun if you are looking for an immersive experience set in World War I experience, the game offers a much more historically accurate portrayal of World War I.

Soldato
Well i had a few games yesterday after a lot of crashes. Had to come down from Ultra. What i have noticed is, the little tank thing with the cannon. You just cannot see where your're aiming. No one, and i mean no one heals or revives from what i have experienced. I really have a feeling this is going out of the window in this edition. Albeit i know it's beta and everyone is trying out classes.

Also change back the classes to how we are used to. Not a biggie but i dont see why they would move it around unlike the rest of the franchise.

Soldato
So I got to try the Open Beta last night and although it was quite fun in places. There was so much more that just annoyed me and put me off completely.

It hits your straight away with the awful menu system/configuration/option page. What a mess. I was also unable to bind anything to my mouse 4 and 5 buttons on the side.

Why the hell are the vehicles so fast? It's crazy how fast tanks and armored vehicles are travelling through rough terrain/massive boulders etc.

Why on the assault class does the first 2 or 3 bullets not go where I am aiming? Is this on purpose or a bug?

Sniper rifles seem the most effective weapon in the game at all ranges.

Quite disappointed in how arcadey they had made WW1 feel. I felt like there was scope to make this a slightly slower more brutal theater of war but it feels so cartoonish in every aspect.

Man of Honour
Quite disappointed in how arcadey they had made WW1 feel. I felt like there was scope to make this a slightly slower more brutal theater of war but it feels so cartoonish in every aspect.

Even though I am loving the beta, I would agree with you that they have made WW1 feel arcadey. The average speed of a WW1 tank was 6mph for instance, incredibly slow things trundling about.

On the plus side (for me at least), I'm actually quite happy about that because I think had it been a realistic portrayal of WW1 I would be bored out of my skull. I remember buying the Arma game because I heard of its realism and loved the screenshots I saw. I played that game only briefly because after playing it I realised that it wasnt really realism I wanted, as realism tends to be firing a shot every once in a while at an enemy I can barely see. Which just wasnt particularly entertaining as a game for me. I know the game has a big following though, which is great for them but for me that sort of realism just isnt fun. So its a matter of tastes.

So being entirely fair, its a terrible portrayal of WW1 (at least of the WW1 that I was taught about), but for me at least its damned good fun, which is all I want from my shooty games :D

(well..from all games actually)

Soldato
I think some valid points have been raised:

My view based on my play as a medic so far

- I don't think the behemoths/heroes actually impact the game that much or at least I haven't noticed a massive swing as a result of their inclusion. More of a nuisance than anything. Heroes are quite easy to take down at range given how slow they move.

- I agree that respawn time is way too short and it's too easy to spawn back to the fight! Medics aren't really useful in terms of revives as a result as you might as well wait 10 seconds and spawn back on a squad member. The game is also significantly faster paced as a result as you are never too far from the fight.

- The map is pretty bad for armoured vehicles dominating when players aren't countering them. However it does seem slightly skewed that the tanks can rotate turrets pretty quickly but the artillery emplacements move at the slowest pace ever meaning you have no chance if spotted which is highly likely given most placements are in plain sight. Some balancing is needed on that especially as not everyone is carrying around assault weaponry.

- Gunplay feels significantly better imo on higher ranked weapon unlocks, still not ideal but definitely better than initial impressions.

- Being in an effective squad as is the case in most battlefield games makes a massive difference to the enjoyment factor!

- Need to fix the horse armour as people are using it as an advantage in 1v1.

A and D to rotate the fixed gun emplacements quickly rather than mouse. Never had a problem tracking tanks like this.

Soldato
It's a Battlefield game with a WW1 setting, it was never going to be remotely realistic. The one thing I do think they should change is how automatic weapons work, I agree it should reward controlled fire not make you hold the trigger down.

Associate
It's a Battlefield game with a WW1 setting, it was never going to be remotely realistic. The one thing I do think they should change is how automatic weapons work, I agree it should reward controlled fire not make you hold the trigger down.

I agree, it is good for what it is and it offers huge battles but I expected the combat to be close quarters and tactical.

I would like to see a trench warfare map added to the game but I am concerned that it will be a paid expansion at a later date. If EA add Battlefield 1 to Origin Access, I could see the subscription being worthy of £4 a month but I can't see that happening for a while.

Back
Top Bottom