*** Battlefield 1 ***

Man of Honour
I agree, it is good for what it is and it offers huge battles but I expected the combat to be close quarters and tactical.

I would like to see a trench warfare map added to the game but I am concerned that it will be a paid expansion at a later date. If EA add Battlefield 1 to Origin Access, I could see the subscription being worthy of £4 a month but I can't see that happening for a while.

I wouldnt be surprised if there already is such a map with the game, they do seem to like to include a berlin/metro/locker style infantry type of map so I wouldnt be surprised if there is a Somme sort of infantry based trench warfare map included.

On a related note of map wishes...I would love to see a naval only map, something like the Battle of Jutland. That'd be pretty cool

Last edited:
Soldato
Even though I am loving the beta, I would agree with you that they have made WW1 feel arcadey. The average speed of a WW1 tank was 6mph for instance, incredibly slow things trundling about.

On the plus side (for me at least), I'm actually quite happy about that because I think had it been a realistic portrayal of WW1 I would be bored out of my skull. I remember buying the Arma game because I heard of its realism and loved the screenshots I saw. I played that game only briefly because after playing it I realised that it wasnt really realism I wanted, as realism tends to be firing a shot every once in a while at an enemy I can barely see. Which just wasnt particularly entertaining as a game for me. I know the game has a big following though, which is great for them but for me that sort of realism just isnt fun. So its a matter of tastes.

So being entirely fair, its a terrible portrayal of WW1 (at least of the WW1 that I was taught about), but for me at least its damned good fun, which is all I want from my shooty games :D

(well..from all games actually)

As someone that hugely enjoyed Arma 2 I think your criticism is fair. The chunkiness of that series is a huge let down. Although I honestly believe a gaming studio is missing a gap in the market by having a compromise of both words. The fluid animations of BF are mostly a joy to play, especially when directly compared to Arma.

I guess selfishly, I just want to see something of the scale of Arma 2 but built within a battlefield engine. With proper bullet drop, slower movement and a more brutal game. I suppose the closest to this is the Red Orchestra series.

Soldato
Performance is excellent on my system with DX12 :D Am keeping always above 60fps @1440p with Ultra/high
On DX11 I drop below 60fps quite abit.

AMD has Async Compute Working also, been told by friends running Nvidia Async Compute don't show up at top of the screen.
ScreenshotWin32_Final_002.png

ScreenshotWin32_Final_004.png

Man of Honour
Is it just me or are the weapons like ping pong balls? Either play with bolt action rifles or don't bother at all.

A lot of the weapons felt like battlefront to me - a bit cartoony which I wasn't expecting given the theme - I ended up playing for about an hour and then going back to BF4 which feels far more satisfying (relatively speaking) to play than BF1 does.

Caporegime
What's different about the spawn system in this? It seems identical to BF4? Eg. spawn on your squad or an objective you hold.

And the red outline of players? Isn't that only when you are killed, and exactly like it was in BF4?

It's pretty boring to read the word 'console' thrown around in here as an insult, I thought people here were more mature than this. Obviously I was very mistaken.

Soldato
What's different about the spawn system in this? It seems identical to BF4? Eg. spawn on your squad or an objective you hold.

And the red outline of players? Isn't that only when you are killed, and exactly like it was in BF4?

It's pretty boring to read the word 'console' thrown around in here as an insult, I thought people here were more mature than this. Obviously I was very mistaken.

Your in a PC gaming forum, what were you thinking? :p As for the people who are saying this feels too similar to battlefront. This game is a sequel to the game Battlefront borrows heavily from, not surprised it feels similar.

Associate
The game looks similar to Battlefront due to the UI, heroes and possibly the colours/ textures. I don't think it plays like battlefront at all, the weapons are nowhere near as accurate for a start.

Caporegime
Your in a PC gaming forum, what were you thinking? :p As for the people who are saying this feels too similar to battlefront. This game is a sequel to the game Battlefront borrows heavily from, not surprised it feels similar.

I was expecting the average age of the forum user to be that of one which is above school playground age.

Associate
I was expecting the average age of the forum user to be that of one which is above school playground age.

A lot of the hate towards consoles is very tongue-in-cheek and stems from the whole 'PC Master Race' thing.

However, a lot of PC gamers have different tastes to their console counterparts (for a variety of reasons), and are therefore concerned with the way many games are not catering to these tastes.

If you look at a game designed for PC - for example, Red Orchestra 2 - with one which is primarily designed for consoles - Battlefront - the differences are profound.

It's an extreme example, and there is a middle-ground, but we wouldn't be PC gamers if all we wanted was the same experience as console players.

Soldato
Played it to about level 20 and i'd say it's ok nothing special. May end up buying it just so I have something to jump in and play for 30 mins here and there.

Experience so far:

The map is crap.
Sniper is basically put cross hair on enemy and easy kill, seems minimal to no bullet drop.
Not seen a single medic pack or revive in that time, reviving also doesn't give you much indication.
I don't feel there is much emphasis on classes.
I don't mind heroes, i'd rather them not there but they're usually easily dealt with.

Like I say its ok, whether it will be just this map but 80% of players use the sniper rifles.

Man of Honour
The game looks similar to Battlefront due to the UI, heroes and possibly the colours/ textures. I don't think it plays like battlefront at all, the weapons are nowhere near as accurate for a start.

I think the map plays a big part in the Battlefront comparisons, because it looks quite a lot like one of the maps in Battlefront (visually). I would wager that if it had been the alpha map which bears no visual resemblance to Battlefront at all we wouldnt be seeing half as many Battlefront comparisons being made.

Associate
What experience is it that PC gamers want that is different to console gamers?

That's a very difficult question, but I think it boils down to console gamers expecting a 'plug and play' experience, whereas for PC gamers it's often the opposite - greater customisation options + higher learning curves/depth of gameplay is welcomed.

This is partly due to the the hardware differences, but also generally speaking.

I own both a PC and a PS4 and like both for different reasons.

Soldato
OP

Bf4 was the first game to introduce the glowing red outline so you can easily see what was killing you, even if they ran out of view. so childish, arcade console fluff.

They horrible spawn system isn't about spawning on your squad or a point, it's about the enemy randomly spawning behind you, or even on a capped out flag after our team has taken It back.

Associate
Lame OP bullet spounge hero pick ups

No need of specific class to rep anymore, the auto repair whilst flying and tanking is insulting. What happened to good old days of returning to airfields and landing.

The spawn system, it's as lame as I've ever seen, just helps players stay close to the fight ie doesn't punish for being killed.

Flying is stupidly arcade like, no optimum turning speed, can fly the biplanes like chuck Yeager, it's laughable the flying model.

Don't get me started on the red outline around soldiers through buildings so you see exactly where the run to so you can revenge spawn them.

Left click full mag dump for the win. Just hold away, no loss of accuracy, no increasing recoil.

I really could go on and on. This isn't battlefield, this is a console experience now for the care bears

I'd forgot about one little incident i'd had with someone yesterday.
I was pushing B flag from C, someone 'chuted down about 10 meters in front, I put a mag into their back, got them to about 20% health, before they rounded a building, i turn the corner and he's now in a flame-thrower suit, killed me instantly with me barely getting any hits in, and their health was at 80%. Thankfully the new feature of showing you the number of ppl on a flag highlighted this, because previously i couldnt have known there weren't a dozen others there or just me & him.

The rest, completely agree with too. I dont dislike in-tank repairs, but when they feel impossible to take out for 3/4 of the classes, them being able to repair and suck it up against your 5dmg grenades, 1dmg incendiary, or 5-7dmg sniper K-rounds from a typical sniper distance... they all feel utterly useless, and its not helped by starting without any anti-tank weapon that isnt thrown or dropped in its path. Planes ive always thought the BF2 way was right, not ultra-realistic but go back to the air strip and make a few passes for ammo & repairs. Not unlimited ammo & self-repair or auto repair.

'no loss of accuracy, no increasing recoil' - but an increase in accuracy with LMGs :confused:

Its a horrific map though, when it was featured in the first trailer i knew it was one i wouldnt like, theres never been a desert map ive liked, it only appeals to armor, snipers & pilots... infantry are SOOL.

Didnt get into the alpha, but im in the beta, and im getting my refund.

Back
Top Bottom