BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Next time you're in Asda or Tesco have a walk past the freeview box section and see how many boxes have top up TV. Then see how much they cost compared with a £20 or £25 basic box?

Sky want to drive subscriptions to their service. Doing anything else is just crazy. people already get half the F1 races without needing top up TV, why would anyone think top up TV is financially viable for Sky? AFAIK they'd need to remove an existing channel to give it space on freeview anyway?

so tell me how people are watching F1 in hd without a reasonably top end set top box or new tv (with HD and therefore card reader also built into the tv)

Its impossible currently

Sky wwould still be getting subscriptions, it just wouldnt be £40/month - and as stated there would be MORE than enough more subscribers to the cheaper service to get Sky more income (which is after all what they care about) than what they would get from doing it the way they are curently

Soldato
so tell me how people are watching F1 in hd without a reasonably top end set top box or new tv (with HD and therefore card reader also built into the tv)

Its impossible currently

Sky wwould still be getting subscriptions, it just wouldnt be £40/month - and as stated there would be MORE than enough more subscribers to the cheaper service to get Sky more income (which is after all what they care about) than what they would get from doing it the way they are curently

Since when do all HD tvs all have card readers in them :confused:

I'm going to hazard a guess that sky have done their research and will be getting more subscriber income with this model.

Man of Honour
Very few tvs or boxes have card readers, just look in the shop or even easier on line.

BBC HD didn't require a card reader, that's how people where watching it in HD this year.

In fact I don't know anyone with a card reader, I've looked into it several times, but it's more expensive than just signing up, or within a few £ making it pointless.

Caporegime
Most don't, however, in favour of offering a cam slot which allows them to be more flexible when it comes to providers/Encryption systems.

Wot he sed.

A CAM slot is often useed in Europe to give access to other TV stations and channels which are available on subscription. AFAIK (and please prove me wrong if you can) only top-up TV uses a CAM slot as a means of encryption.

With regard to Sky and top up TV, I'ms ure they've looked at the sums and consider a free box, free install and a minimum £30.25 per month to be good value to a serious F1 fan, considering it means you'll also get all practice sessions, qualifying and the race which is something we haven't had before as far as I'm aware and I've been watching F1 since Eurosport had it years an years ago.

Soldato
Wot he sed.

A CAM slot is often useed in Europe to give access to other TV stations and channels which are available on subscription. AFAIK (and please prove me wrong if you can) only top-up TV uses a CAM slot as a means of encryption.

With regard to Sky and top up TV, I'ms ure they've looked at the sums and consider a free box, free install and a minimum £30.25 per month to be good value to a serious F1 fan, considering it means you'll also get all practice sessions, qualifying and the race which is something we haven't had before as far as I'm aware and I've been watching F1 since Eurosport had it years an years ago.

The BBC covered all the practice sessions through the use of the red button. The only annoying thing being with Sky was that these couldn't be recorded.

Caporegime
Only just discovered today that i get access to Sky Sports F1 channel just by having the Sky HD package and don't need to subscribe to sky sports, which was an added bonus. I had always thought i'd have to have sky sports.

Guess i will be watching F1 in 2012 after all.

Caporegime
Off topic, but on twitter is there anyway to follow a trend, like #f1 surly this is possible but I can't see anything on official twitter app. If not do any unofficial apps support this.

You can search for all topics on a trend at a specific time, but it will only give you posts from a short space of time

By far the best way to follow F1 things on twitter is to follow the F1 presenters and drivers, plus the usual F1 journalists. That will get you more F1 related tweets in your timeline that you can probably be bothered to read.

Caporegime
Neither of these are actual platforms. More accurately would be Sky have no plans to launch a free-to-air channel.
Thats even worse description as theres no chance it wouldnt be unencrypted...
Wiki said:
Free-to-air (FTA) describes television (TV) and radio services broadcast in clear (unencrypted) form, allowing any person with the appropriate receiving equipment to receive the signal and view or listen to the content without requiring a subscription (or other ongoing cost) or one-off fee (e.g. Pay-per-view)

ps3ud0 :cool:

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Indeed, one of the best sites for news.

F1 fanatic is good. But impossible to navigate. It needs a redesign.

BBC news was well non existent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom