BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
Why would Sky ever let them have the first race? Thats their lightbulb moment. Hell I would be ensuring they had more installers and job tasks available for the following fortnight...

ps3ud0 :cool:

i said RERUN not live race.... there was a time when bbc said she would show every race in full just not live so i doubt its not possible for them.

it was bernie sayng he would prefer hour long highlights , PREFER beeing the keyword which leads me to believe its upto them aslong as its not live

Soldato
Why would Sky ever let them have the first race? Thats their lightbulb moment. Hell I would be ensuring they had more installers and job tasks available for the following fortnight...

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if the BBC live races have more to do with what Sky let them have than what the BBC want to show.

Sky and the BBC both selected groups of races in turn. However, as the BBC wanted certain races (Silverstone for one) Sky got the first race of the season.

Caporegime
i said RERUN not live race.... there was a time when bbc said she would show every race in full just not live so i doubt its not possible for them.

it was bernie sayng he would prefer hour long highlights , PREFER beeing the keyword which leads me to believe its upto them aslong as its not live
Fair point, missed the last point, but why would you ever take Bernie at his word considering what he told the head of FOTA and later his public preference which differed.

Im sure if the BBC had the leeway to run full race reruns they would...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Good News Everyone!

Well, for me :D

Nabbed my parents old Sky box and plugged it in. Seems the socket in my flat is connected up to the dish and is pointing at the right place. Without a viewing card in this box (it one of the early Digibox's) I am able to get pretty much the Freeview channels.

It proves its all working though. Anyone know of there anything I can check in the settings to make sure its pointing at the right place? Or does the fact it works tell me all I need to know. Signal strength is showing at about 65%.

Seems all I need to do now is convince the GF that we need Sky+HD :D

Soldato
I folded and Sky+HD with multi room gets fitted in the morning. It's the fact I don't have to buy sports chans that pushed me over the edge. Got my sister to go in with me and our lass also. So splitting costs 3 ways, £15 a month each ain't too bad (entertainment extra)

Caporegime
Its only single, so I won't get the ability to record one feed while watching another. I think I will also loose the Sky Anytime features too?

Its a shame, but its not a deal killer. I have a Freeview TV which I can watch if I'm recording something on the Sky+.

Sky+HD has 3 tuners anyway, so I think you need 3 feeds to get the full experience.

Soldato
Nah Sky+ HD just need two, SkyHD box only needs the one feed. Just find some channels the missus will love to watch and work from there. Tis what I did :)

excited for F1 in HD, Never actually watched it in HD before, could barely see the marbles on track they kept going on about beginning of season.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Yeah, just checked the Sky FAQ, only 2 feeds. There is a specific 'single feed mode' on the box, and a bunch of information for customers living in flats.

I've seen F1 in HD a few times. Its great. I find the best way to see the benefit of HD is to watch it for a while, and then switch to SD. It makes SD look terrible.

Soldato
Do you know if you have twin coax running to the socket you tried? As you need two cables from the LNB to box for Sky +

You only need 1 feed connected to receive Sky+

Its only single, so I won't get the ability to record one feed while watching another. I think I will also loose the Sky Anytime features too?

Its a shame, but its not a deal killer. I have a Freeview TV which I can watch if I'm recording something on the Sky+.

Sky+HD has 3 tuners anyway, so I think you need 3 feeds to get the full experience.

2 (as I see you've picked up on now). You "can" still get anytime but as you've also noticed, you should disable it. If you leave it on you'll get quite a few crashes when sky tries to use the second feed.

I've used just the 1 feed for years now and don't really miss having a second connection plugged in. Unless the mrs wants to record 40,000 programs...

Man of Honour
Good News Everyone!

Well, for me :D

Nabbed my parents old Sky box and plugged it in. Seems the socket in my flat is connected up to the dish and is pointing at the right place. Without a viewing card in this box (it one of the early Digibox's) I am able to get pretty much the Freeview channels.

It proves its all working though. Anyone know of there anything I can check in the settings to make sure its pointing at the right place? Or does the fact it works tell me all I need to know. Signal strength is showing at about 65%.

Seems all I need to do now is convince the GF that we need Sky+HD :D

Good to hear :) Might be worth checking with Sky whether they can run a second feed - https://skyforflats.sky.com/

Caporegime
The cables are all built into the walls and there's already 6 feeds coming from the dish, so its unlikely I could get another line in. I'm not going to be here forever though, I hope to move out next year so I will make do with 1 feed.

I just can't wait to get my motorsport fix back though!

smr

smr

Soldato
Well I've just bought Sky for the first time, not only that - their broadband and phone line as well.

£60 a month for Sky TV / Entertainment Extra and HD package, Broadband and Unlimited Phone calls.

Left BT (for my phone) and O2 (for broadband) ... Must say though, O2 broadband have been absolutely fantastic, hoping Sky BB is just as good - but I don't do gaming so ping isn't important and it's just streaming / surfing / downloading and moving from 8mb to 20mb capability with no FUP or download limit.

No cancellation charges from either company as well, bonus! Couldn't remember if I was 18 or 12 month with BT (I'm on month 15) but he said there wouldn't be any charges) ... he also tried tempting me into their vision package saying that they would be able to offer what Sky did - but I said I've got all the cartoon channels for my 9 month old boy Jenson, to which he went quiet!

At least all those bills will be consolidated now! Also managed to get 116 quid back via cashback website and £100 M&S voucher. Should also be able to get movies free for two months so will raise that with CS.

Looking forward to it and the HD channel, I think it will be great!

Last edited:
Caporegime
Quick sum up. So basically I get the channel free if I get Sky HD. I'm thinking entertainment plus package and the tenner for HD so around £35?

What if I just went for the Entertainment plus pack without HD. How much is the F1 channel then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom