BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
The F1 channel is not available on its own on Sky. You get it with either the Sports pack or the HD pack. Regardless of what other packages you have, you need to have one of those packs to get the channel.

Cheapest option is the Entertainment pack plus the HD pack. The extra fiver for Entertainment Extra gives you a lot though.

Caporegime
Whatever happened to the dedicated Freeview (top up) F1 channel - is this happening or not?

Nothing but an unfounded rumour that floated around before Sky announced the channel.

Sky Sports F1 HD will only be available to Sky TV customers with either the Sports pack or the HD pack, and potentially Virgin Media customers in an as yet undefined package.

Soldato
I dont really understand that - they already broadcast (Sky news?) on Freeview so Im not sure why they dont want to do "top up" channels (so there is no technical reason why they cant)

Im absolutely convinced they would get more money from majority of F1 followers who dont have sky paying £10/month for a top up channel, than a fraction of them paying full whack for the whole package

Soldato
I believe that the whole point of SKY buying F1 and probably paying BIG money for it, was to get more customers to subscribe to its TV packages and increase SKY's customer base. If they offered F1 on Freeview (topup), then the whole purpose of them buying F1, would be defeated.

Man of Honour
Off topic, but on twitter is there anyway to follow a trend, like #f1 surly this is possible but I can't see anything on official twitter app. If not do any unofficial apps support this.

Man of Honour
Off topic, but on twitter is there anyway to follow a trend, like #f1 surly this is possible but I can't see anything on official twitter app. If not do any unofficial apps support this.

Yeah there is, I've been using tweetdeck all season. So much better to use and more functional.

I have a column for #f1, another for all the people I follow and a news feed for facebook too. It syncs and updates them all automatically.

Use it on pc, tablet and mobile.

Caporegime
I dont really understand that - they already broadcast (Sky news?) on Freeview so Im not sure why they dont want to do "top up" channels (so there is no technical reason why they cant)

Im absolutely convinced they would get more money from majority of F1 followers who dont have sky paying £10/month for a top up channel, than a fraction of them paying full whack for the whole package

You can get Sky Sports 1 and 2 on Freeview too. However, for whatever reason Sky have said that the F1 channel will only be on Sky and VM if they work out a deal. Sure its possible to put it on Freeview, but they aren't.

And I don't think the topuptv market is actually that big. I don't know anyone who has it and I've never had a conversation with anyone around it. It required specific (and expensive) hardware for what amounts to only a few extra channels. I expect there are far more Sky customers than people with topuptv boxes.

Last edited:
Soldato
I believe that the whole point of SKY buying F1 and probably paying BIG money for it, was to get more customers to subscribe to its TV packages and increase SKY's customer base. If they offered F1 on Freeview (topup), then the whole purpose of them buying F1, would be defeated.

Customers are still subscribing , its just the way its delivered thats different.

In the current economically lean times, I can gaurentee there would be more than enough willing to pay £10/ month (instead of £30-40) to significantly increase Sky's income over what they will get for the MUCH fewer full subs , who are just getting it for F1.

There is also the probability of some customers buying F1 on topup then progressing to the full setup at some point in the future - it wont be happening the other way round for sure.

Its also getting the Sky advertising into a lot more homes - therefore keeping their advertisers happy, while also getting their internal (ie different channel adverts) seen more widely too

Absolutely no way would Sky be broadcasting to less value as a whole by putting it on topup tv

You can get Sky Sports 1 and 2 on Freeview too. However, for whatever reason Sky have said that the F1 channel will only be on Sky and VM if they work out a deal. Sure its possible to put it on Freeview, but they aren't.

And I don't think the topuptv market is actually that big. I don't know anyone who has it and I've never had a conversation with anyone around it. It required specific (and expensive) hardware for what amounts to only a few extra channels. I expect there are far more Sky customers than people with topuptv boxes.

Always thought those channels were locked - maybe only during premium shows or something (certainly appears encrypted via my freeview box , although they are picked up). (I was meaning Sky news actually being FREE on freeview, maybe you were just meaning available to pay for?

I wasnt disputing that Sky have decided not to put it on freeview :)

Im under the impresson that most settop boxes have some kind of card readed that would allow the user to unencrypt channels - just like ESPN on BTVision , I would be very surprised if there wasnt a card reader in most homes by now (even if majority of them are currently unused)

Last edited:

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
Im under the impresson that most settop boxes have some kind of card readed that would allow the user to unencrypt channels - just like ESPN on BTVision , I would be very surprised if there wasnt a card reader in most homes by now (even if majority of them are currently unused)

No way, most freeview boxes do not have a card reader!

Caporegime
Next time you're in Asda or Tesco have a walk past the freeview box section and see how many boxes have top up TV. Then see how much they cost compared with a £20 or £25 basic box?

Sky want to drive subscriptions to their service. Doing anything else is just crazy. people already get half the F1 races without needing top up TV, why would anyone think top up TV is financially viable for Sky? AFAIK they'd need to remove an existing channel to give it space on freeview anyway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom