BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Even if Sky default on their F1 contract, why would Bernie spite himself and not re-sell the rights to another channel? He'd still be able to sue Sky for breach of contract.

Secondly, I'm not sure people withholding their money from Sky are really expecting it to immediately fail, apart from the very deluded. What is more likely is that if Sky can't get the number of subscribers they were hoping for, they won't bother to bid the next time the contracts come up for renewal, and F1 will end up somewhere else, hopefully a free-to-air channel.

It's definitely not "game over" if Sky can't make F1 work, and it's definitely not stupid to protest the move by not buying Sky.

Caporegime
Even if Sky default on their F1 contract, why would Bernie spite himself and not re-sell the rights to another channel? He'd still be able to sue Sky for breach of contract.

Because for Bernie to be able to take it elsewhere, Sky would have to give it up. If Sky worked out that dropping F1 and being sued by Bernie would cost more than just continuing with the contract (which it most likely would), then they would just continue to run out the contract at a loss.

Of course if someone drops the rights Bernie would resell them elsewhere. But the point is that Sky wont drop the rights.

Caporegime
Yep.

People thinking that by not buying Sky they will not make enough money and will drop F1 in a year or 2 are deluded in both their sense of importance to Sky and how broadcasting rights contracts work.

Don
For me, i stopped caring when i found out it wasn't going to cost me anything extra :) Sky might be the devil for other companies trying to compete with them but the service they offer for consumers is great.

Man of Honour
edited for truth - in these times I cant see many subscribing to Sky just for F1 (at the amount they are charging)

I can seeing as its £10 extra.

If it was skysports1+skysports2 package that would be different.
So so many people have sky and or virgin. That the extra 10 for hd to get f1 isn't that great. Just have to see what happens with virgin.

Soldato
I can seeing as its £10 extra.

If it was skysports1+skysports2 package that would be different.
So so many people have sky and or virgin. That the extra 10 for hd to get f1 isn't that great. Just have to see what happens with virgin.

the quote states "extra customers" - ie NOT upgrades but full package installes..... :)

Man of Honour
the quote states "extra customers" - ie NOT upgrades but full package installes..... :)

I can see that as well, I bet a fair few have already jumped from virgin, especially if your out of contract and there must be a large portion teetering on the edge of joining sky/virgin who will be pushed over the edge with f1. Again if it was on skysports the appeal wouldn't be as strong, but for a full channel for just £10 ontop of basic packages.

Soldato
I can see that as well, I bet a fair few have already jumped from virgin, especially if your out of contract and there must be a large portion teetering on the edge of joining sky/virgin who will be pushed over the edge with f1. Again if it was on skysports the appeal wouldn't be as strong, but for a full channel for just £10 ontop of basic packages.

Im on virgin and Im hoping they can come up with a deal as Im not forking out for Sky sports just to watch F1, but would pay extra if they do a dedicated F1 package

Caporegime
Go look at the Motorsport on TV in 2012 thread and see what extras you get from having a Sky or VM package.

I fail to see how any motorsport fan can not want to watch any of the array of other motorsport available on Sky? Unless of course they are just ignoring it to try and make a point :p

And FrankJH, this is the little nudge my parents needed to go from Sky+ to Sky+HD, and I will be signing up to a Sky package too. There will be many many more people doing exactly the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom