BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
This is rubbish news. Such a shame, BBC coverage is spot on. Will be interesting to see if FOTA do anything but I doubt it. I can't believe it would have got this far without all parties giving the nod.

There we go if you don't have subscription tv and you want to watch in hd, it will cost you £610 a year.
http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/2011/07/29/keeping-f1-freetoair/
That's £61 per race

And isn't hd £10 a month so still £49 per race in sd.
Um unless I am missing something here, I think there are 20 races per year :)

So not £61 per race, its £30.50 in HD or £24.50 in SD.

Edit: Aha perhaps you are referring to the cost of having to switch to Sky to watch the races that BBC aren't showing?

Associate
I cancelled Sky last month so pretty disappointed by this. Such a shame, as following the ITV farce of coverage, I've been enjoying F1 again. No way I'll be getting Sky back. Oh well, but I'm sure there will be plenty of online feeds.

Associate
Well that's the end of me watching F1. I've barely missed a race over the last 15 years. At least I'll save on the licence fee as F1 was all I had it for!

Goodbye F1 it was nice knowing you.

Associate
Such a blow for F1 in my opinion.

I cannot see me paying for the extra Sky Sports Sub on top of what i already pay for the extra 10 races.

Potentially you could pay for the sub and not see a race for best part of a month.

ah well i am sure i will enjoy the BBC coverage just the same and catch up on the sky stuff later in the day.

Man of Honour
I have sky sports atm and whilst their sport coverage is very good, F1 needs to be free to air imo.

I'd be interested to see how much of the BBC team will be retained.

Associate
How's it wrong, it says the same thing.
Of course we are going to get worked up about it, losing the only sport I follow.
Half the races isn't good enough. You miss half the action, can't follow the developments and everything else.

The F1 fanatic article is saying that the BBC is only airing half the races and you'll have to pay £400+ to see them all which simply isn't the case if you look at how it's actually being done.

If they're just cut down highlights I'll be annoyed as well but the BBC used to show "full highlights" which was basically the race in it's entirety.

Associate
I'm gutted by this, it's one of the very few things I ever watch on TV, there will be no chance of me getting Sky. I'm sure I will still try to follow it through the half races and highlights, but it just won't be the same :(.

Man of Honour
It does talk about highlites and r5l, so it's not wrong. it says exactly the same thing and they right If I want to watch all races I have to pay £610

Caporegime
When does the BBC's contract expire? As I am willing to bed that they will drop all F1 at that point and leave it solely on Sky. There is no way they are going to keep it untill 2018.

So its a year or 2 of half and half as it avoids the BBC breaching their contract, and then after that, all on Sky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom