BBC possibly to drop F1 coverage...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
OP
The teams appear happy with it for now. Though honestly how they think it will grow the audience is beyond me. Everyone who has sky already has BBC anyway. How exactly can it reach MORE people?

For me now it will all depend on how good the BBC coverage is and how much of the race we see in the primetime slot. I could accept being able to watch races at 6pm rather than 6 am so long as the coverage is good and complete. Avoiding the result is going to be the only issue but I'm quite adept at that now.

Soldato
I sodding hate Bernie ecelstone with a passion, he knows nothing about the sport and only sees it as a personal piggy bank, the sooner we have a breakaway from the odious little man the sooner we get proper 'pinnacle' of motor sport cars, cos at moment Audi Lemans cars are more advanced.

Associate
Best of both worlds my **** Bernie, is this why we waited so long for a HD feed from FOM in preparation of this move onto SKY HD.

I guess anything involving Sky was always going to be exclusive didn't they try pimped up F1 coverage 10 years ago and fail hard.

Soldato
Yeah that's what he's just found out.

I'm sure the BBC are going to explain things better tomorrow, they have to after the backlash.

Seems a bit silly really. Only difference during the race will be that the Sky HD channel has slightly more bandwidth and less compression than the BBC HD one!

how can the bbc do this, they should never get involved with a private channel and subsidise them
I would bet money that in-fact it will be the opposite way round - Sky subsidising the BBC.

Imagine the sky hd offers "F1 in HD"
Eh? F1 is currently in HD. The extra thing Sky could add is 3D, but that isn't available on the FOM feed everyone gets from Bernie.

Caporegime
Nope, You can watch half the races and extended highlights of the others...

Whitmarsh said Ecclestone assured him more than once that it would be a full race rerun and not 'highlights', which isn't so bad I guess if Bernie isn't lying... the only trouble is finding out the result before it's on.

"Bernie assured me, and I asked him several times, the deferred coverage will not be highlights, it will be a full race."

Associate
given the amount of negative feedback the bbc should really be issuing apology's not trying to justify the move!

It is after all our license fee they are spending they might have asked us if we thought it was a good idea or not lol.

Associate
- Half the races on the BBC is worse than none; a genuine waste of license payers money since no fan is interested in half a season, they'll either go to Sky or not bother. The BBC press release was the worst example of hypocritical newspeak I've ever seen. Doupleplusgood! I suspect the resulting drop in viewing figures will allow the BBC to justify giving up the remainder in 2018 giving Sky the monopoly they want.

- UK viewing figures are approximately 5m, while the cost is £50m/year, that's a cost of £10/year per viewer. Now I can't afford Sky, I'm unemployed, but even the Sky apologists can't justify a cost of £600/year for someone who can, but isn't interested in the rest of Sky's programming. It's extortion made possible only by Sky's monopoly.

- After 30 years watching F1, this is the end for me, and I suspect for many others. The figures suggest that Sky won't sustain the viewing figures that the BBC has. I'd like to know what F1's sponsors and advertisers will think of this.

- Finally, this is a sport that the UK excels at, we win world championships with our cars and drivers. It puts the vain hopes every year at Wimbledon or whenever we sit down to watch an international football match into perspective. Why the BBC and those in power can't get behind this and use it to promote jobs, investment or even pride in ourselves I don't understand.

It's sad day, and I'm disgusted with everyone involved, Bernie, the BBC, the Murdoch's criminal corporate activities & the Government who have been complicit in giving them what they want.

Last edited:
Soldato
Quali build up starts soon but I cant stop thinking about this move to Sky. It has totally over-shadowed the race this weekend for me. It's going to take a very special drive from Lewis to make me forget that it could be the last Hungarian GP I will see live and in full :(

I'm not happy at all.

Caporegime
Whitmarsh said Ecclestone assured him more than once that it would be a full race rerun and not 'highlights', which isn't so bad I guess if Bernie isn't lying... the only trouble is finding out the result before it's on.

Bernie is just doing what he's always done - creating confusion, ensuring he is the only one who truly knows what is going on and so he can remain the ring master. Get the teams to sign up to this deal by giving them the impression the full race will be available FTA as a deferred broadcast, then say extended highlights are the same as the full race or some other such nonsense.

Soldato
ive signed the petition and sent a complaint to the bbc, they are damaging the sport doing this by making it inaccessible for so many, F1 would not work without fans.

i myself will not be affected as i already have a full sky package but the sport will.

the most ridiculous thing is showing half the races live then highlights of the rest later on. do they show half a football match then a replay later on?? no because its a ridiculous idea.

i hope bernie feels the wrath of this, he obviously listens to the fans because we asked for HD and we got it. so maybe he mite listen to this.

Man of Honour
- Half the races on the BBC is worse than none; a genuine waste of license payers money since no fan is interested in half a season, they'll either go to Sky or not bother.

- UK viewing figures are approximately 5m, while the cost is £50m/year, that's a cost of £10/year per viewer. Now I can't afford Sky, I'm unemployed, but even the Sky apologists can't justify a cost of £600/year for someone who can, but isn't interested in the rest of Sky's programming. It's extortion.

- After 30 years watching F1, this is the end for me, and I suspect for many others. The figures suggest that Sky won't sustain the viewing figures that the BBC has. I'd like to know what F1's sponsors and advertisers will think of this.

- Finally, this is a sport that the UK excels at, we win championships with our cars and drivers. It puts the vain hopes every year at Wimbledon or whenever we sit down to watch an international football match into perspective.

It's sad day, and I'm disgusted with everyone involved, Bernie, the BBC & the Murdochs criminally corporate activities.

Completely agree. :(

Soldato
I'm sure the BBC are going to explain things better tomorrow, they have to after the backlash.

They won't.

What can they say?

What they will say is that they will be offering fantastic coverage and this is a great deal for F1.

You don't believe me?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/9550930.stm

"The sport has never been more popular with TV audiences at a 10-year high and the BBC has always stated its commitment to the big national sporting moments.

"With this new deal not only have we delivered significant savings but we have also ensured that through our live and extended highlights coverage all the action continues to be available to licence-fee payers."

The BBC, SKY and Bernie will all preach that this is brilliant news and the best thing that could have happened to F1. Most people will fall for this...it sounds crazy, but they will.

The hardcore fans with any sense, will not fall for it.

Basically, pay £600 odd (extra) to watch all the live races.

Caporegime
As much as many people are saying this now, I suspect the reality of the start of the 2012 season may see a different story.

Especially as Sky would be stupid not to do some sort of first year offer on Sky Sports near the start of the new season to get as many people as possible to cave in eventually.
No theres too much inertia for people who dont already have Sky Sports to have it because of F1 or a SS offer. If you think about it the people on the fence will probably think theyll be adequately dealt with by the BBC coverage. I very much doubt F1 is the straw that broke the camel to make people buy SS - its a sport that isnt shown often enough to justify the cost.

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
No theres too much inertia for people who dont already have Sky Sports to have it because of F1 or a SS offer. If you think about it the people on the fence will probably think theyll be adequately dealt with by the BBC coverage. I very much doubt F1 is the straw that broke the camel to make people buy SS - its a sport that isnt shown often enough to justify the cost.

We'll see when it comes round to the start of the season but in my experience the closer people come to the point where they'd actually be missing out, the easier they find it to justify something to themselves.

Caporegime
Wake up because he is - the BBC Head of F1 has already confirmed it will be extended highlights as RECOMMENDED by Bernie and not a full race re-run.

People have to wake up to the fact that as much as Bernie acts like a bumbling fool a lot of what he says is misdirection and ambigious especially when it comes to any contracts.

Associate

From what I've heard and read, the BBC can show the races in full if they choose. This is what Bernie and Whitmarsh has mostly been saying. But questioned on the 5 Live Preview last night, Bernie would prefer hour-long extended highlights (which I guess Ben Gallop has taken on board). I guess we won't know with absolute certainty what the BBC will do until they make themselves crystal clear and reveal all the details about this deal in full, which they'll hopefully do on today's show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom