BBC Sports Personality really bugs me.

Soldato
They have the wrong racing driver in the list. Andy Priaulx has won the World Touring Car Championship twice, following on from winning the European Touring Car Championship before that, and yet didn''t even receive one single nomination.

Associate
as people hae said this is all a popularity thing, zara phillips will most probly win it, i would like to see cooke win it or phil taylor has dpominated his sport for years and deserves the recognition.
although generally it is a popularity contest apart from beckham recently the right person has won it, although it varies with which sports you follow etc.

Permabanned
I thought this was gonna be a thread about the whole award itself. Because I think it is rather pointless and stupid really. What does being a sports "personality" mean? :confused: It's meaningless to me.

Caporegime
Alibaba99 said:
They have the wrong racing driver in the list. Andy Priaulx has won the World Touring Car Championship twice, following on from winning the European Touring Car Championship before that, and yet didn''t even receive one single nomination.

Thats a good point.
Is there an international award for anything in the show? should goto zanardi

Associate
the personality bit is a typical british way of admitting that they may not win! either it shouldnt be called that or you follow it by definition and choose personalities over the sports achievement thing.

clarke should win the hollesan award for adversity but shoud not win this - i am sure the team will win team of the year - this might be the darren clarke show! - will he win young sports personality too? he should withdraw imo.

Permabanned
freshy said:
the personality bit is a typical british way of admitting that they may not win! either it shouldnt be called that or you follow it by definition and choose personalities over the sports achievement thing.
Maybe it should be called BBC Sportsman of the Year, but they probably decided against that on PC grounds, even though a woman who plays sport is still called a sportsman as far as I'm concerned.

Associate
i know the award is 'sports personality of the year'... but i think this years competition seems pointless. its like they ran out of people to nominate so just picked a handful of popular people.

im a big equestrian sport fan (much angered by a certain newspaper that deemed eventing as a 'fake sport'), and i do think zara philips has done well this year... but there's only one or two big titles to her name this year. incredibly outstanding titles, maybe, but nothign that someone else maybe could not have done. i think it is because she is young, as well, thata gives her advantage.

when pippa funnel was nominated the other year, it was for winning to Rolex Grand Slam-winning the 3 biggest events in britain in a row. THAT, not to mention her numerous wins that year aswell, was worhty of a nomination.

but i just dont see the point in this years show.

when was the last paralympic athlete awarded anything in this show?

Soldato
So Zara Phillips is sports personality of the year bit of an upset that one for me.

Some strange decisions on the other awards.

Team of the year - St Helens (over the Ryder cup team)
Young sports personality - Theo Wallcott (young substitute of the year maybe)

Poor year for British sport though it really has been.

Caporegime
^ Agree. I can't comment on most of the awards as I don't watch rugby, show jumping or gymnastics but I was disappointed Calzaghe and the Ryder Cup team missed out and extremely surprised and disappointed that Theo Walcott got an award. It was nice to see David Walliams get acknowledged for his achievement and the tribute and award for Paul Hunter was touching if a little brief. Overall, I thought the program felt extremely rushed and it wasn't half as entertaining as it has been in previous years.

Associate
Darren Clarke should have won imo.

What that guy went through and the way he handled himself has everything to do with PERSONALITY not taking anything away from Zara Phillips I just think Darren Clarke was more deserving.

Soldato
Velocity said:
Darren Clarke should have won imo.

What that guy went through and the way he handled himself has everything to do with PERSONALITY not taking anything away from Zara Phillips I just think Darren Clarke was more deserving.

Totally agree with this post.

Back
Top Bottom