BBC Top Gear - Series 23 discussion thread

Man of Honour
Was it just me or did the NSX look *really* quick on the test track? I mean literally right from the start, it leapt off the line and was round the first corner before you could draw breath. I guess launch control and sub-3s to 60mph will help with that. A bit twitchy in places but it was visually one of the best laps I've seen there for a while (maybe I haven't seen any supercars lately, IDK). About 9mins in on iplayer if you want to see it again.

As for Evans leaving, always seemed to be on the cards and you wonder if it was decision Evans had been contemplating for a while. Not sure on the filming schedule but ep6 had the feel of them letting MLB run with most of the hosting, there's a few segments where both he and Evans are there but he is leading.

My opinion on the presenters still hasn't changed really; Jordan seems out of water, making bad jokes and generally not adding any value. Sabine likewise seems a bit wooden in front of the camera, if they are going to persist with her she needs to spend more time behind the wheel.

One issue they've got now is that with Evans gone they only have one 'mainstream' (i.e. not purely motoring) celeb presenter that in the current guise the show needs to act as a cohesive. My expectation is that Reid could be moved into do more studio work alongside MLB as he is probably the most naturally charismatic. Harris is good, but I wouldn't overuse him in the studio, keep him doing what he does best supplemented with the odd lead-out segment following a VT when they are back showing off the motors in the studio.

It will be interesting to see what they do next season with SIARC; it was the perfect vehicle for Evans so now he is gone they may need to mix things up a bit, especially as a lot of viewers find it boring.

Soldato
A star in a ridiculously priced car would be great - that rally-cross car looked really slow. A semi rapid rally-cross car would be far more interesting.

Soldato
Nah there are some new ones too

Alfa Giulia and F12 TDF haven't been on Youtube before.

There are a number of videos he filmed with Patreon money that didn't get released because of his new TopGear gig. Hopefully they will all appear on TG.com soon

Associate
it's getting better, but it's that Yank guy that's wrong for the show, no personality or real enthusiasm for cars

they need that AC/DC Brian Johnson guy, he's quite funny, because he's got a personality, he's a real petrol head

Evans is fine, he just needs somebody that he can banter with and Johnson is perfect

I watch Brian Johnson's Cars That Rocked and he is vey enthusastic, funny and enjoys the car.
With Evans, I would say most people do not like him on TopGear and that he should stick to Radio 2.

With Johnson he is 68 now so how long could he go on doing AC DC tours and appearing on TopGear !!

Soldato
It would only be mildly derivative. A road trip on the last series had a bunch of chefs carted about trying to cook on car or bike parts in moving vehicles

They could call it Bake Gear or maybe Top Off...

Man of Honour
Maybe like many he likes to keep work and hobbies separate or he'd seen how badly the new TG was received and didn't want to end up another Chris Evans :D

Back
Top Bottom