BBQ Pulled Pork

Wise Guy
Soldato
I love the stuff but I dont have a proper smoker for doing it. You can make a pretty decent one with a crock pot, but it wouldnt technically be bbq. I like it better with burnt bits in it though from bbq-ing.

DcD

DcD

Associate
I always make Carolina pulled pork in my smoker.

Dry rub:
Sweet smoked paprika
Brown sugar
Garlic powder
Onion powder
Salt/Pepper
Cayenne Pepper
Red pepper flakes

Mop (set aside some for sauce):
Apple cider vinegar
Worcester Sauce
Brown sugar
Franks hot sauce

Hot smoke at about 250F for 8 hours for an average size Boston butt/shoulder. Mop with sauce every half hour, and replace hickory smoke chips every hour. Take out when done and rest for an hour, then pull it apart and put remainder of mop into a saucepan, bring up to a simmer add corn flour to thicken slightly, and then pour over the pulled pork for a Carolina sauce.

That's what I always do anyway. :)

Man of Honour
That recipes looks awesome DcD :)

I sadly don't have access to a BBQ at the moment so I have a cheaty way of making the stuff, which works fairly well (however, I don't doubt for a moment that if you have the time and equipment that DcD's recipe will be better).

Sainsburys Basics Pork Joint (this is a pork shoulder joint).

Dry rub:
Teaspoon of smoked paprika
Tablespoon of sweet paprika
Teaspoon of salt
As much freshly ground black pepper as you can force yourself to mill
1/2 Teaspoon of garlic powder
Pinch of cumin
1/2 Teaspoon of hot chilli powder

Rub completely with the dry rub and place in a baking tray covered in foil (you want a gap between the meat and the foil but the tray needs to be completely covered/sealed).
Cook in the oven at just under gas mark 1 (or ~100C) for 4-6 hours. You don't need to turn it at all or mess with it in the slightest..just leave it in there all that time.
Take out of the oven and allow to rest for an hour (I am lazy and often skip this).
Use your fingers or a fork to pull the meat apart.

Sometimes I create a simple bbq sauce using the pork drippings and a little bbq sauce (or make one from scratch, but that doesn't quite fit in with this super lazy version of the recipe). Often I don't though, and just have a huge pile of shredded pork meat :p

Last edited:
Soldato
1 tbs ground cumin
1 tbs garlic powder
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs chilli powder
1 tbs ground black pepper
1 tbs salt
1ts cayenne (may want to reduce this if you don't like it with a mild heat)
half a cup of brown sugar

Pat the joint dry, rub this on well and leave in the fridge for 24 hours. Take out an hour before cooking then slow cook it in a slow cooker, dry, for 12 hours on low, you could then finish it off at 180 for 1/2 hour to get the crackling going.

Alternatively using the same rub on the joint, place it on sliced potatoes and carrots (used as trivets) and pour 150mls of stock (veg, beef or lamb) and start off at 180oC in fan oven for 40 minutes, then drop to 140oC and cover tightly with tinfoil. Get some nice juices at the end to make up some bbq sauce.

Soldato
This is what I sent to a mate who asked for the recipe:

Get yourself a pork shoulder. Nice and fatty cut, which is good. Stops it all drying out.

Make yourself a rub for it. For this, I use my basic BBQ rub with added cumin. So it's; 1/2 cup paprika, 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, 1/2 cup salt, 2 tablespoons garlic granules, 1 tablespoon onion flakes, 1 teaspoon celery seeds, 3 tablespoons black pepper, 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, 1 teaspoon chilli powder or flakes, then also add in your 1 tablespoon cumin.

You can make all this and store it to rub on anything. It's tasty. I make up batches and split some with cumin, for the pork and some without and use it on chicken, ribs, anything really.

Rub in on your pig and wrap in cling and leave for 3-24hrs. Depending on how well planed you are. I suck normally.

Pork in pan, cover with foil and in the oven on 150c. You want to cook it for about 4-5 hours if it's a big joint (1.3kg plus) drop it down to say 3, if it's smaller.

When it's cooking, each 45mins take it out, pull off the foil and baste with the juices in the pan and also a mix, which is:
2 tablespoons olive oil, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, dried basil, dried oregano, chilli flakes. I think that's it... just mop it on the outside, then cover again and back in the oven.

Once you've cooked it, you can get 2 forks and just go at it. Rip it apart and slap it in a bowl. You'll then have the juices in the bottom of the pan it's been cooking in, and any leftover mop juice to pour over in the bowl and then mix it up.

One I did on Sunday was a beast. Enjoy!

Sounds like they're all similar!!

Man of Honour
Soldato
I do mine in the slow cooker:-

Chop 4 onions roughly and pile them in the pot, lay on a 3lb pork shoulder joint (excess fat removed) and pour over a cup of chicken stock, cook on low for 8 hours, remove the meat and leave to cool before shredding (removing any fat/gristle), skim the excess fat off the broth and then add a 500ml BBQ sauce (I've started using spicy ones), 2 table spoons of French's mustard, a splash of soy sauce and some fresh ground pepper (depending on your sweet tooth you can add 2 table spoons of honey as well) and then return the pork to the mixture and leave on low for another hour.

Give is a mighty good stir and serve with rice, potatoes or on bread rolls, whatever takes your fancy really.

Soldato
http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2011/03/spicy-dr-pepper-shredded-pork/

Did this not long ago and my god was it epic!

Did pretty much same rub to what you guys did but then finished it off like the recipe above minus the chipotle peppers in adobo sauce as Ive no idea what adobo sauce is. The Dr Pepper works quite well!

Funnily enough i saw an episode of MVF last night and they slow cooked a ham joint and they glased it with a paste and one of the main ingreidient was rootbeer so pretty much the same as dr pepper... Hummmm..

I do mine in the slow cooker:-

Chop 4 onions roughly and pile them in the pot, lay on a 3lb pork shoulder joint (excess fat removed) and pour over a cup of chicken stock, cook on low for 8 hours, remove the meat and leave to cool before shredding (removing any fat/gristle), skim the excess fat off the broth and then add a 500ml BBQ sauce (I've started using spicy ones), 2 table spoons of French's mustard, a splash of soy sauce and some fresh ground pepper (depending on your sweet tooth you can add 2 table spoons of honey as well) and then return the pork to the mixture and leave on low for another hour.

Give is a mighty good stir and serve with rice, potatoes or on bread rolls, whatever takes your fancy really.

Gonna give that a try this weekend had my slow cooker for a while and not used it yet. Any more.. Can we have a Slow Cooker Recipes thread :)

Soldato
Gonna give that a try this weekend had my slow cooker for a while and not used it yet. Any more.. Can we have a Slow Cooker Recipes thread :)

Ive been experimenting with different BBQ sauces as well, got a Nando's one and a Jamaican Jerk one to try next couple of times.

Associate
Going to be firing up the weber smokey mountain saturday night for pulled pork to be served Sunday lunch time. Will probably smoke a ham at the same tine. I always serve BBQ sauce on the side as I'm not a big fan of pulled pork smothered in sauce

Associate
Picked up a 6lb shoulder today. Have injected it with an Apple/Vinegar/Sugar mix, applied my rub (the usual paprika, salt, sugar + peppers type mix) and will put on the smoker sometime around midnight. Will try and remember to get some pics.

Soldato
Well mine is almost finished. I used my slow cooker and cooked for 7 hours in chicken stock after a rub mixture of steakhouse seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, ground black pepper and garlic salt. Put it in the slow cooker and poured in chicken stock. After 7 hours the pork shoulder just fell to pieces was so tender. Mixed some more black pepper in with some of the stock and cattlemans BBQ sauce. Put it back in the slow cooker for an hour. Lovely and smokey flavour. Would have liked a but more heat but can sort next time.

Back
Top Bottom