BBQ Pulled Pork

DcD

DcD

Associate
£3/kg at Asda so finally grabbed a chunk of pig.

I also got charcoal and JD smokin wood, hmm do I slow cooker it or stick it in the Weber.
I have no clue how to make a BBQ last 8 hours lol :p

Minion method.

Take your charcoal briquettes (lump doesn't as well) and fill your tray 3/4 full. Then take your chimney and fill it half way. Light them and place on top of unlit coals. This means the unlit coals light very slowly and over a long period of time.

This version of the minion method results in the longest use of your coals - however a more reliable way is to make a donut of charcoal (use a cylinder object as a template) and then place the lit coals in the middle.

For long smokes, nestle your soaked chips or lumps in with the unlit charcoal. This saves you opening the door or lid every hour to throw more on. Then just let it do it's thing.

You need to be careful how much initial lit charcoal you use. The more, the faster the others with light, and the more problems you will have with early temperature spikes.

Good luck. :)

Associate
oh don't use minion method with any kind of charcoal that's labelled as quick lighting - that stuff is covered in accelerants and will make your food taste aweful if its not fully lit.

Soldato
£3/kg at Asda so finally grabbed a chunk of pig.

I also got charcoal and JD smokin wood, hmm do I slow cooker it or stick it in the Weber.
I have no clue how to make a BBQ last 8 hours lol :p

After a couple of hours or so it won't take on any more smoke flavour (apparently), so just finish it off in the oven if things don't go to plan with the minion method

Can't type for toffee
Don
OP
Right Ive decided to try BBQin it.
opened the JD smoking wood, goddamn smeels immense.
Have given the pig a bosh with some steakhouse seasoning.

Soaking the wood for 30mins or so then gonna build a fire ;)
Cant find me thermometer :(

EDIT: found Thermometer :)
Am I right in thinking I want all airvents 1/2 open?

Associate
start with them half open (except the top one which should be fully open - i'm assuming you are using a weber kettle) then open open the other vents gradually only if your kettle isn't getting up to temp

Associate
After a couple of hours or so it won't take on any more smoke flavour (apparently), so just finish it off in the oven if things don't go to plan with the minion method

That isn't strictly true though as a method of cooking if he gets into trouble it's fair work around

Associate
Yep they're the ones. I'm a bit of a BBQ nut and actually have both sizes. TBH for small groups the 47 is more than enough. The 57cm is a beast I could easily get 6 7-8llb pork shoulders on that.

Associate
Couple of pics from the last pulled pork cook I did a week or two ago

IMG_2705.jpg

IMG_2708.jpg

Man of Honour
I'm making pulled beef brisket tomorrow. I've had it marinading in the rub for about 12 hours so far... Should be 24 by the time I start to cook it - 6-8 hours on the lowest possible setting in the oven.

cram, your pork looks insanely nice.

Back
Top Bottom