BBQ Pulled Pork

Associate
Waitrose do a passable Boston Butt joint for about four quid. It's covered in a dry rub and you cook it in the oven for a few hours.

I then shred it, drench it in BBQ sauce and serve on a bun with coleslaw.

I like the Waitrose joint too, relatively good value for money.

Just done double of the Morrison's £1.50/Kg joints in the slow cooker for tea tonight. Dry rubbed it with spices last night, seared it in a pan a bit this morning and then whacked it in the slow cooker with a couple of cans of coke for 10 hours. Lid off for the last hour to let the liquid reduce, then shredded it and mixed with BBQ sauce. Ate it in texmex style burritos with refried beans and the rest.

Ended up with 3/4 of it left over.

Can't type for toffee
Don
OP
Ended nice tbh.
Wasnt easily shreddable tho :/

Mashed up what I could put it back intot he slow cooker with half of the stock and a 250ml bottle of Budweiser Honey BBQ Sauce and heated it back up. Slapped in a bun with a slice of cheese pretty damn tasty.

I then went back to the leftovers, mixed in some chilli sauce zapped it in the microwave topped with more chili sauce and some cheese. Was pretty hot but could still taste the BBQ sauce.

Soldato
Still maintain you don't need any liquid when putting it in a slow cooker if you want it to fall apart in that 'shredded' way. Adding a lot of liquid would make it far more firm I would have thought.

Going to prepare a 3kg shoulder with my rub recipe tonight and put it on for 12 hours tomorrow morning, can't wait!

Man of Honour
Still maintain you don't need any liquid when putting it in a slow cooker if you want it to fall apart in that 'shredded' way. Adding a lot of liquid would make it far more firm I would have thought.

Going to prepare a 3kg shoulder with my rub recipe tonight and put it on for 12 hours tomorrow morning, can't wait!

I think liquid is handy when you can't keep the temperature down low enough but in an ideal world you're right and it's not needed.

Associate
I'm gonna have a go at making pulled pork and home made gravy for my Sunday roast! I mentioned to my missus about doing it for Christmas lunch, roasting it for 12 hours on the lowest heat overnight... she doesn't want the oven on all night though so I'll have to stick to 6 hours on a higher heat :( Should still be nice though hopefully

Associate
I'm gonna have a go at making pulled pork and home made gravy for my Sunday roast! I mentioned to my missus about doing it for Christmas lunch, roasting it for 12 hours on the lowest heat overnight... she doesn't want the oven on all night though so I'll have to stick to 6 hours on a higher heat :( Should still be nice though hopefully

It probably won't pull as well if you bung up the heat too much

Soldato
It probably won't pull as well if you bung up the heat too much

I would just get a cheapo slow cooker. I got a swan one that only cost £20 and it works fine. No timer though so you will have to use one of those plug in timers.

I like the Waitrose joint too, relatively good value for money.

Just done double of the Morrison's £1.50/Kg joints in the slow cooker for tea tonight. Dry rubbed it with spices last night, seared it in a pan a bit this morning and then whacked it in the slow cooker with a couple of cans of coke for 10 hours. Lid off for the last hour to let the liquid reduce, then shredded it and mixed with BBQ sauce. Ate it in texmex style burritos with refried beans and the rest.

Ended up with 3/4 of it left over.

I dont know about you but i found that when i added the bbq sauce it made it waaaay too rich. I mixed some with half the stock that the pork had cooked in and added some ground black pepper. added it in and left it to cook for about an hour longer.. ended up binning it because it was really rich and really heavy.

Soldato
My aim here is to get some decent crackling from it, not the soggy chewy type or rock hard stuff, but light and crispy.

Would it matter if I didn't use foil?

Try it, you'll be surprised. It would be quite dry if doing it that way, although in the oven I would probably use 1/2 litre of stock and put the meat on a trivet of potatoes or veg.

I've done 30 minutes at 180 at the end before (so 40 minutes at 150, 3 1/2 hours at 150 covered, 30 minutes 180 uncovered).

Bit disappointed with the cut I have at the moment, seems full of water as my dry rub had pooled into a sauce at the bottom of the clingfilm after covering it last night, lost half of it so not expecting great things. Going to try 12 hours on slow cooker and then 30 minutes at 180 to get crackling.

On the slow cookers mentioned above, I found the Morphy Richards from the rainforest very reasonably priced, mine only has temperature gauge and no timer but I really don't need it, if I did then I have loads of timer plugs anyway.

Back
Top Bottom