Been offered a job. Leaning to yes (currently jobless)

Caporegime
OP
This for me, plus the fact they're a small company means the chance for further bumps (in my experience) in pay, are much harder to get.

I'd try and hold out for a better offer if it was me personally. If they're that fixed on the salary now, without even getting further increases in writing (I've joined before on X and promised in writing Y in 6 months, which was a small company and still a bitch to fight for after 6 months) it just sounds like you'll always be underpaid.

Yeah this is a fear.
It was a question I asked in my second interview and it was vague. Almost like when you have caught someone out.

I know from experience that in my field I have found it hard to jump salary within roles. And that employers seem to be reluctant to give big salary increases. All my salary increases have been from changing jobs.

Overnight I've actually moved more to wanting to delay this.
Perm roles I've been going for have had higher salaries. Initially I thought I would go for a lower salary to get in the door. However now I'm more thinking "this role seems underpaid, a consultancy should pay more than a perm"
Or at least have better perks.

This does not.
The matched pension is 3pc. That's the lowest I've ever seen. So another pay cut.

As mentioned the bonus is undefined and doesn't seem to be employee performance related.

Last edited:
Soldato
The matched pension is 3pc. That's the lowest I've ever seen. So another pay cut.
Yea, this for me would be a no, no, too. I found this with a small small company about the same number of people. It just didn't have the ability to match these benefits that really add up over time. I get 8% employer contribution at the moment and I put in 10%! 3 is ridiculously low, especially as you get older.

Caporegime
OP
I actually declined the offer.

They wouldn't even move 2k upwards.
Maybe I regret it. But to reject what is quite a modest ask to me just made me even more apprehensive.

I didn't buy the line "but after a year you'll be on 55 if you do well" surely that's what a probation period is for

Anyway. Onwards

Associate

They wouldn't even move 2k upwards.
Maybe I regret it. But to reject what is quite a modest ask to me just made me even more apprehensive.

I didn't buy the line "but after a year you'll be on 55 if you do well" surely that's what a probation period is for

Anyway. Onwards

A bit too late now, but perhaps you could have asked them to agree an uplift to £55k after successful probation?

What happens when you run out of the £10k savings?

Soldato
Good. I was just about to post that you should decline.

You're getting a sense of what sort of salary is achievable so you should not settle for less, in doing so you'd be paying them to employ you in my view. Be honest and confident about your expectation to avoid time wasters.

The feeling you're working for less than you're worth (especially that much!) is depressing, and typically a reason why people leave jobs for a better offer elsewhere. It doesn't seem right to accept a job knowing you'll immediately be looking for another one. Not gonna get the stability you're looking for that way.

Just like gucci set the price of a ****** belt, you're setting the price on your time, you seem better if you cost more.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Good. I was just about to post that you should decline.

You're getting a sense of what sort of salary is achievable so you should not settle for less, in doing so you'd be paying them to employ you in my view. Be honest and confident about your expectation to avoid time wasters.

The feeling you're working for less than you're worth (especially that much!) is depressing, and typically a reason why people leave jobs for a better offer elsewhere. It doesn't seem right to accept a job knowing you'll immediately be looking for another one. Not gonna get the stability you're looking for that way.

Just like gucci set the price of a ****** belt, you're setting the price on your time, you seem better if you cost more.

This was what position I came to.
I've been flooded with interviews. To the point I can't keep up so have taken a few days off putting my CV out.

I'd rather take a perm role for 50 (and they seem common here) than a consultancy perm for 8k less.

I didn't want to go in thinking I'm underpaid from the start. Too many red flags on this for me. Had same in my last role. Promised things verbally in interview that never came true. My instincts said not to take that. And it was right.

I have another one (one I would take) with a much better all round package. And that's what I think I'm worth. A decent bonus like others said that comes with working at a consultancy.

Also on look out for contract work.

So yeah no regrets on this one, even 8f I don't get the next as if I went for this one I'd always be wondering what I might have missed out on.

Feels like Internet dating this!

Man of Honour
You can develop very fast in a small consultancy if it grows and is successful. I work for a relatively new firm (less than 5 years old) and I've seen people develop rapidly (going from Senior to Lead to Associate Director in under 2yrs). The sort of progression I haven't really seen at larger orgs.

Man of Honour
I appreciate the decision has already been made. I would have taken the job and continued looking. You might have found a better job later and could quit. But equally you may find you loved the job and gained a lot of new experience from it and decided to stay. It also would have meant earning monney instead of having no current job.

You are not tied to a job once you accept. There will always be a notice period which is usually short during the probabtion period.

Also, big fish in a small pond might mean quick progression.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom