1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Beginners Guide to Overclocking

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Jokester, Aug 12, 2006.

1. crimp

Associate

Dear Jokester,

I am looking for an COMPLETE IDIOTS GUIDE specific to my card - could you here me with this please:

Hello Overclockers,

My System:

Intel Core i7 4790K, 1150, Quad Core, 4GHz, 4.4GHz Turbo, 1250MHz GPU, Retail - BX80646I74790K
    MSI Z87M-G43 Motherboard
    8GB DDR3 2133MHz Kit
    3GB Asus GTX 780 DirectCU II OC
    Corsair CPU Cooler H100i Hydro
    620W Seasonic Evo Bronze Powersupply-SS-620GM
    2TB 7200rpm Hard Disk Drive (storage)
    240GB Solid State Drive (system)
    128GB Solid State Drive (dedicated game drive)
    27" AOC IPS Monitor
    Windows 8.1 64-Bit

I brought a pre-overclocked system from YoyoTech - they say that it is OC'ed to 4.4GHz. CPU-Z seems to concur and shows 4.4 although the number moves up and down, I thought it would stay on 4.4GHz? My ignorance begins..! I am happy with the uppey/downy 4.4GHz for the mo.

What I would really like some help with is OCing my Graphics Card please. All the reviews on my card say it is a 'good overclocker' so it seems silly not to OC it...

I have had a fiddle with GPU Tweak and all the videos I have found so far, start with a different power allowance. i.e. the video raises the max power to 110 and mine goes to 103. There are also padlock icons, which I assume means that two sets of values are linked and when you move one the other setting moves too. On opening GPU Tweak none of my settings show the padlock symbol. Also, none of the vids show how to set up a profile, nor do thry explain if the utility needs to be running to use the OC or what.

In short. I haven't got a clue. Well, that is not entirely true, it would be fairer to say, I do not have the confidence to do it on my own.

So, could I ask for someone to give me an idiots guide, a-blow-by-blow-leave-nothing-out-even-though-it-seems-obvious-guide.

Thank you in advance!

I have had a quick fiddle with GPU Tweak and

Mr Crimp

2. djkav

Mobster

You need to edit out the competitor you have mentioned, as its against the forum T&Cs

3. novadragon849

Associate

Great guide, thanks!

4. smokingtommy

Associate

cool post great read

5. compasiune

Associate

Thank you for this great guide. It really helped me!

6. is149

Associate

Does anyone know of a good software to measure pcb temps? I have been using GPU meter but it doesn't read PCB temps.

7. TubbyGreg

Gangster

I don't know of any software but you could get some thermal imaging equipment on ebay or something

8. SavyM

Associate

Great guide but a bit does go over my head still learning haha.

I will soon be purchasing my parts for my first for which I have spent a fair amount of time to hopefully get the best I can afford and hopefully give me some oc potential. The main components are:-

I5-4690K

Cooler Master RR-212E-16PK-R1 Hyper 212 Evo

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Intel Z97 (Socket 1150) DDR3 ATX Motherboard

HyperX Savage 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) 2400 MHz DDR3 CL11 UDIMM XMP Memory Module

MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 Gaming Twin Frozr HDMI DVI-I DP Graphics Card (4GB, PCI Express, DDR5, 256 Bit)

This is about as much as I can do with my budget and hopefully this will allow me to do some oc if there are any potential improvements I could make then please feel free to guide me.

Thanks

SavyM

9. dudemiseter182

Gangster

Awesome guide, I'm definitely going to be OC'ing my system when i've finished my build. Thanks.

10. Bigminimus

Gangster

I found this guide really useful to OC my 6700k

11. nipnosis

Gangster

Just read through all of this and it's a great guide thanks.

12. danlightbulb

Wise Guy

I dont understand the voltage and what im supposed to do with it guys.

My motherboard has an in built profile for 4.4 ghz on a 6600k and i can leave the voltage in auto. But i dont know whether this is optimal and if not what i need to do. I dont understand what fixing the voltage at a set value will do to the ability of the cpu to step up and down to respond to load.

The guide doesnt mention what to do with fan profiles.

13. Danny75

Soldato

Which?

14. danlightbulb

Wise Guy

Gigabyte z170 k3 eu.

15. String

Capodecina

You need to assess how much voltage is being applied and what the resultant cpu temperature is on full load conditions. Is your cooling adequate?

Auto voltage is bad, if you're overclocking to 4.4GHz then you should be in control of the variables rather than leave it to BIOS.

16. danlightbulb

Wise Guy

Ok. Id like to do that. But im not sure what/how, and if ill lose the adaptive /speedstep thing. I have a thread on this just below where ive included a screenshot of the cpu monitors if you would take a look its really appreciated.

17. CONSOLE_BUTCHER

Hitman

Just been thinking about doing some base overclocking rather than running stock speeds, especially seeing as my rig is watercooled.

I printed off the OP' guide and now im in the bios trying to set as many things to manual as i can and i found a performance upgrade option under advanced frequency settings. Is that worth using?

Also there is a cpu upgrade option with an auto clock ratio where i could select to put my 6600k on either 4.2/3/4 would either of those give me something stable ?

18. Flight

Gangster

Brilliant guide so, once again, thanks to Jokester.

Monitoring software in the links seem out of date though. What software do folks use for monitoring and tesitng RAM, CPU, temperatures etc these days please ?

19. kristapsl

Gangster

Excellent guide. Thanks.

20. Del77

Associate

Sounds great - it loks in-depth to read at the mo, but thanks for the Heads Up/hints eg OP