Beginners Guide to Overclocking

Associate
Associate
nooby question seeks answer!

My rig has been clocked from 4 to 4.5ghz. Running a benchmark at 4ghz, I get decent scores. If I run the same benchmark, but at 4.5ghz I get a much lower score. The scenes seem to fly by so fast that the gc can't keep up.

I'm running a fx8350 - 8 core with a HD7970 ghz ed (slightly ocd) and 16gb kingston clocked at 2133.

Is this a case of the gc simply not being able to keep up?

Soldato
Going to make the jump to Haswell soon - overclocking that seems to be about as different to 775 overclocks as it could possibly be - am I best relearning all I know from scratch? Been reading up on the net on various guides and it seems a damn site more complicated than it used to be! I'll be going for either a 4670k or 4770k.

Associate
Is Windows Re-Install Required?

Before we start... Overclocking can also kill your Windows install so back-up anything important!

Hi,

The above is taken from the guide posted by Jokester.

So my question is, do you have to re-install Windows if overclocking your CPU?

Or is it one of those, sometimes you do, sometimes you don't and it's not until you try it that you find out?

Thanks & Regards

Soldato
I know that I'm going to sound a complete idiot , but even after reading/understanding ( or trying to ) the different information thats contained on this thread.......It all seems a bit too complicated for me...I'm having trouble getting my head round it all together

And I dont want to OC using software I would want to do it via the BIOS as that seems to be the better or more reliable option ...and I dont even know if the Ram @1600 would be up for it anyway

sorry :(

Back
Top Bottom