Being Made Redundant, Looking To Change Career

Soldato
Out of curiosity, what is your (and others)opinion on this? Do you think it is a good idea?

From my personal experience, i don't think it's a great idea unless they're quick learners. (I've worked with both, managers who have had a technical background, and others that have not)

Whilst you don't need to be an SME to manage your team (that's what the people who work for you are there for), you do at least need to know a good level of detail, otherwise you've no idea exactly what is it they are doing. You're meant to manage your teams roadmap and overcome any obstacles they face, you're not there to just approve holiday requests etc.

Soldato
You don't need technical skills as an IT manager. You might want to consider if you want to people manage or project manage though.

The single most important skill for either is the ability to communicate, with both your direct team and those supporting. You would be amazed how poor the technical people are at communication outside of the immediate team, it's mind boggling...

Soldato
So a proper scrum master is not a manager. But the communication is still key, they are there to unblock issues the team face with supporting teams. Also generally they come with a better understanding of working principles and practices, to help the team find the best fit. With a good Agile company, you will find not ever team adopts scrum, but instead fine tunes their working practices.

That said, some companies have delivery leads, these are scrum masters that also project manage. Actual people managent also varies fr company to company. The best ones imho have dedicated people managers, not tied to projects or release cycles.

Soldato
Not in my experience, sure they work close with HR, basically helping people realise their potential etc. I guess in IT there is often a lot of support dedicated to the technical people as they are a very valuable resource

Soldato
OP
A bit of an update...

My notice ends mid April, but from mid Jan I'm no longer in my current role and just needed to provide 'meaningful work' until I leave the business.

Checking through our internal vacancies (back around when I started this thread I guess) I reached out to some of the hiring managers and they directed me to someone in the IT department where I work. I've managed to arrange 3 months working with them as a 'Delivery Lead', which is kinda the same as a Scrum master I think. There is a reasonable chance I might be able to secure it permanently, but I guess that will be down to whether I can get to grips with it quick enough.

An interesting opportunity that I'm rather pleased and excited I've managed to generate.

Soldato
A bit of an update...

My notice ends mid April, but from mid Jan I'm no longer in my current role and just needed to provide 'meaningful work' until I leave the business.

Checking through our internal vacancies (back around when I started this thread I guess) I reached out to some of the hiring managers and they directed me to someone in the IT department where I work. I've managed to arrange 3 months working with them as a 'Delivery Lead', which is kinda the same as a Scrum master I think. There is a reasonable chance I might be able to secure it permanently, but I guess that will be down to whether I can get to grips with it quick enough.

An interesting opportunity that I'm rather pleased and excited I've managed to generate.
It's like a Scrum master but far less polite :p

Congrats

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
A bit of an update...

Awesome Andy, sounds like the perfect transition, make the most of what you can and carve your own career mixing best of both worlds I would say!

Soldato
OP
Well... I have some updating to do in this thread!

I started Mid Jan, shadowing an established Delivery Lead. 4 weeks in I kind of took over her role and she focused on her other team. I met with a lot of people, gathering advice, asking for feedback etc. The recruitment drive was coming, I started preparing for an interview (I finished with a 21 page Google Doc full of evidence, ready for any question!).

Bearing in mind this coming Thursday is my last day... Friday morning I had my interview... Friday afternoon I got a phone call offering me the job!!! Super happy! Throw in a 15% pay increase and I think Christmas has come early!

Such a weird journey I've been on. When I originally posted I would say I was 99% sure I would be without a job this summer. Even when I posted in January I was still thinking I only had maybe a 30% chance I might keep a job. And now, here I am! :D

Soldato
Awesome news!

It's more expensive to hire externally so in reality that 15% increase and keeping you motivated will benefit the company long term.

Caporegime
Silver linings and all that, you’ve managed to turn a potentially negative situation into a positive one by having the drive and ambition to not only have a goal, but to actively chase it.

Congratulations, I’m sure that with your attitude you’ll do well in your new role.

Back
Top Bottom