Being Made Redundant, Looking To Change Career

Caporegime
Congratulations!

So you're still with the company that originally made you redundant from your role? Does that grate at all, as if I was made redundant rather than being redeployed I would probably have that on my mind and want to leave anyway.

Soldato
OP
I started Mid Jan, shadowing an established Delivery Lead. 4 weeks in I kind of took over her role and she focused on her other team. I met with a lot of people, gathering advice, asking for feedback etc. The recruitment drive was coming, I started preparing for an interview (I finished with a 21 page Google Doc full of evidence, ready for any question!).

Bearing in mind this coming Thursday is my last day... Friday morning I had my interview... Friday afternoon I got a phone call offering me the job!!! Super happy! Throw in a 15% pay increase and I think Christmas has come early!
So, I was officially taken on last year as a 'Junior Delivery Lead' and last month I was interviewed for a 'Senior Delivery Lead' role. There were 7 available and I believe they were interviewing 44 people (internal and external). More prep and my document was now 27 pages long, with a lot of my shop examples replaced with 'digital' examples. I found out this afternoon I was successful :D

I don't think anything will change as I'm already on one of the bigger and more complex teams, so really just means a pay bump :cool:

Soldato
That awesome, congrats Andy. Question - are you being paid your old role + a percentage, or are you being paid as a standalone "proper" delivery lead now? :D

Man of Honour
Excellent news!

One thing to consider, two years ago you mentioned an interest in databases. There is quite strong demand for delivery leads with a level of understanding of data, due to some of the nuances (i.e. data projects don't always suit a generic PM type that can't spot or articulate the pitfalls and challenges specific to data, although the best DLs should succeed in any domain). Could be an avenue to explore when it comes to gchoosing future projects e.g. can you get some experience in that area.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom