Being Sued by Atari/Davenport !

Associate
For the sake of £300 and piece of mind (think of all the other stuff you've downloaded) you should just pay it.

Or ignore it and potentially end up in court, as i'm sure the contents of these threads is read by the powers to be and your blatant ignorance to the law is here for everyone to read.

Well theres the thing, its £540, thats a big difference too some folk.

re; your comment on the law, we have already discussed that in this thread, but cuz its 15 pages off topic flame and counterflame i guess.. you may not have read it all but yeh only strictly law abiding citizens are allowed to talk here with out being repeatedly bashed with the very same point

I should be locked up and thats it yeh?

Permabanned
Or ignore it and potentially end up in court, as i'm sure the contents of these threads is read by the powers to be and your blatant ignorance to the law is here for everyone to read.
and how exactly are the powers that be going to track him down?

Unless they can view his IP and match him as the person they are threatening then they can't, as far as I know only Dons and above can view IP addresses.

Associate
Is the game any good?

No lol it was pish.. well not totaly crap but not up too much. I play GRID when i need my car fix now.

The Irony is we only wanted too see if it was worth buying, my wife & I earnt just short of 65k last year.

Just cuz i cant spell dont mean im some 14 year old retard trying too get something for nothing.

If you read that other forum you will see this is widley accepted as close as you can get too a scam with it still being legal. Out of 32k attempts they only litigated one person, who failed to appear at court after being formaly cited.

laters

Last edited:
Soldato
Ok guys thx V, much for your help.

Flamers.. de-railers read this, I know i will be. Stop holding back these forums. You really would be happier in Yahoo chat rooms.

con

If you dont like this thread, report it. If you have reported it and the MODs accept the posts here, get over it.

The point of a forum is not just to help others, its to discuss and talk about things. The thread is titles 'being sued by atari/davenport !', it doesn't mention anything about help, so all these previous posts that have been discussing the stupidity of piracy and getting caught is still on topic in my opinion.

Soldato
To be honest there's better legal advice in this thread than in the one you're linking to. All that nonsense about claiming IP addresses are unreliable will never work. They're routinely relied upon in a number of cases (not just in the UK) and so the most you're likely to get is the argument swatted down and then leave to appeal granted on that point (at which point it will get very expensive and then you'll lose).

People on there seem to assume that:
1) the ISPs have very poor details of IP address allocation - this is wrong, in fact soon (when/if the the Communications Data Bill is passed) they will legally have to keep proper records of this data so they'll all already doing it properly in anticipation.
2) Davenport have very poor details of when the file was uploaded - this is wrong you only need to look at some of the data MediaSentry routinely presents in court to see they have this side of thing in order.

Associate
sorry for bumping this thread,

But yes, Last monday (15th of sept) I got a letter back from davenport lyons.
Basically my brother had sent them a letter saying how are wireless router had no security on it, and so anyone could go on the internet ect.

(my brother sent the letter because he knows what hes on about and like because i am the youngest i couldnt really say a lot, and yes i was the one that downloaded the testdrive unlimited game :[ [and its poop] )

so yeah once we got the 1st letter, my mum gets really worried ect, and im feeling really sad because its something that i had done, not really thinking about it. (the letter was addressed to my mum because she pays for the internet).

So yeah, they sent a 2nd letter back from the letter we sent them saying that they would have our pc searched to like prove our inoccence. So yes, i admit i did do it, but still i really dont think this is on. I dont know if my brother has sent another letter back or not.
i only found out today that we got the 2nd letter back :/ they knew last monday.

So yeah, i was talking to my brother about what i wanted to buy ect (pc parts ect :D) and he says well you best get saving £500 incase you have to end up paying for the fine.

So can anyone shed some light.

sorry for my spelling :[

thanks

Soldato
sorry for bumping this thread,

But yes, Last monday (15th of sept) I got a letter back from davenport lyons.
Basically my brother had sent them a letter saying how are wireless router had no security on it, and so anyone could go on the internet ect.

(my brother sent the letter because he knows what hes on about and like because i am the youngest i couldnt really say a lot, and yes i was the one that downloaded the testdrive unlimited game :[ [and its poop] )

so yeah once we got the 1st letter, my mum gets really worried ect, and im feeling really sad because its something that i had done, not really thinking about it. (the letter was addressed to my mum because she pays for the internet).

So yeah, they sent a 2nd letter back from the letter we sent them saying that they would have our pc searched to like prove our inoccence. So yes, i admit i did do it, but still i really dont think this is on. I dont know if my brother has sent another letter back or not.
i only found out today that we got the 2nd letter back :/ they knew last monday.

So yeah, i was talking to my brother about what i wanted to buy ect (pc parts ect :D) and he says well you best get saving £500 incase you have to end up paying for the fine.

So can anyone shed some light.

sorry for my spelling :[

thanks

thats what happens when big brothers think they know it all instead of listening to all the advice about ignoring the letters :)

Soldato
There has yet to be a case in the UK where they've actually taken a PC to check it purely for piracy reasons - although a judge can order this.

There has been a case in the US though where someone's lost his case based on him destroying evidence. He just deleted the program etc. If your house court fire then there would be no way for them to prove it - but then what's your house worth vs a £500 fine? In any case whilst there are tons of ways of destroying evidence and not getting caught, destroying evidence is A REALLY STUPID THING TO DO not to mention ILLEGAL so DON'T DO IT. I wouldn't suggest anyone in this thread condones the destruction of evidence - even if it would be frighteningly easy in this case.

Back
Top Bottom