Being underpaid at work

Caporegime
No laws are being broken. As above though they will likely ask you how you know, unauthorised snooping through personnel files may land you in hot water.

Soldato
I'm taking home 24-25k a year, the lad sitting next to me dropped a clanger the other day saying with shift allowance and everything he's a few thousand under the higher tax bracket. We do the same job, we're the same age, we're of equal skill level and work very well as a team.

The difference? He came from a £50k+ bank job and I came from a **** £18k job that I fell into after being made redundant. they could get away with offering me much less as it was still an increase even with travel costs, he took a pay cut to come here but only travels 9 miles instead of 40 to work now.

I'm not angry and him or the company, I understand the reasoning behind it, and at my pay review, it will be raised. Although its common knowledge that even the company is a great place to work, to really get more money you have to leave and then come back :D

Associate
OP
I am confused, op had said this guy is on more money than him, because he is also receiving a government grant? so what is the problem? Its not the company he works for paying him more money...
No, the guy is paid half by a government grant and half by the business, but previous employees on the same grant were paid at £8.00 and hour.
He is a lower level, not experienced, and yet he’s paid more.

Caporegime
The only question is whether you are happy with the pay for your job, there is zero value in getting upset about what someone else is being paid. If you're not happy: complain and/or leave. Otherwise carry on.

I work in social enterprise, basically it’s a community centre/church

lolreligion. Some of the managers from my old workplace were from the church. The non-believers like myself were frozen while the others got a yearly raise. After being there for 5 years, I was on £14.5k and yet they put a new starter (same job as me) on £15k. Some commenters on here said about to keep it quiet, but no, I bloody well went to the MD about this and he matched my wage to £15k. I think that new-starters should earn the same and then get increments for experience and a proven track record. I think there should be a law that prevents the OP's scenario where new-starters earn more than experienced staff for the same job spec.

Caporegime
It’s not like that, it’s a Church of Scotland, I had my wedding reception there which had to be voted on by the church board and they only had one objection out of 42 people.

So you couldn't play the gay discrimination card then, unless that one objection was the guy who decides pay

Man of Honour
A quick search online for supermarkets show roles for £10/hr as shift leader and similar in other retail places, so there are other options out there. Changing companies every few years or so is one of the quicker ways to get more experience and an increased wage.

Soldato
Solid first post :D

Basically speak to your boss and be reasonable with him explain that you don’t think it’s appropriate that subordinates are being paid more than you. Or is it skilled work he is doing? Many supervisors are paid less than skilled workers they manage. Such as engineers in factories.

Soldato
Solid first post :D

Basically speak to your boss and be reasonable with him explain that you don’t think it’s appropriate that subordinates are being paid more than you. Or is it skilled work he is doing? Many supervisors are paid less than skilled workers they manage. Such as engineers in factories.

the problem is you cannot say he is being paid more than me because no-one is supposed to know how much each person is on ?
its confidential information. i have been paid less than people that have come in after me doing the same job. been going on for years
i can't say much though, i have to justify a pay rise if i ask for one. i try and put it to the back of my mind, very annoying

Soldato
the problem is you cannot say he is being paid more than me because no-one is supposed to know how much each person is on ?
its confidential information. i have been paid less than people that have come in after me doing the same job. been going on for years
i can't say much though, i have to justify a pay rise if i ask for one. i try and put it to the back of my mind, very annoying

Not at all, since 2010 it's illegal for employers to try and stipulate in a contract that you can't discuss your salary. It's only confidential for the people processing your information, not you discussing your own.

Let’s jump straight in. Employees can legally discuss their work pay with colleagues. There you go, in clear bold writing – that is a LEGAL fact and anyone trying to say otherwise clearly doesn’t know the law behind this matter. However there are slight stipulations on the matter so let’s continue and look into the facts surrounding this:

The reason employees have a legal right to discuss their pay with other colleagues is because of this piece of legislation – the Equality Act 2010 and in particular “c. 15, Part 5, Chapter 3, Disclosure of information, Section 77”. Both staff and management need to know this piece of legislation to ensure there is no confusion in the workplace.

The key things this piece of legislation states are:

a) Employers cannot legally discipline anyone for discussing their work pay
b) Employers cannot legally have any clauses in employee contracts that stop workers from talking about pay

So as an employer/manager you must ensure that you do not stipulate ANY clauses in contracts stating employees are not allowed to discuss their work pay, this is illegal. Also you cannot formally discipline any employees from talking about their work pay, again this is illegal

Though, like with all law there are caveats...

but there is a slight discretion on this point:

If employees are caught idly gossiping about their work pay (e.g. bragging about their high salary etc) then this is of course rightfully a reason for formal discipline, that is NOT what the legislation protects. The Equality Act 2010 states that as long as the individuals discussing their work pay were doing so because they truly felt there was a case of ‘unfair pay’ within the workplace then it is illegal to discipline the employees involved. THIS is what the legislation was created to protect and that is the information both employees and employers need to know. So as long as employees are discussing their work pay since they think there may a case for unfair pay then they are completely within their legal right to discuss the matter and cannot be disciplined or told otherwise for doing so.

https://zlogg.co.uk/can-legally-discuss-work-pay-colleagues/

Soldato
Not at all, since 2010 it's illegal for employers to try and stipulate in a contract that you can't discuss your salary. It's only confidential for the people processing your information, not you discussing your own.

This is true but in OPs case he was the one processing the information. Obviously the boss he would need to speak to for requesting a pay rise would also know this information so I dont know how the confidentiality would work between people who already have access to the information?

Associate
happened to me a while back. was being paid less than everyone else and I was managing the team, taking all the stress, worked a stupid number of hours per week trying to keep on top of the workload, and ended up making myself ill. In the end I voted with my feet, left the company and never looked back. I learnt a very valuable lesson from that time.

Caporegime
Back in the day when I got promoted into junior management I was on more than my superior because there was a shift changeover they needed to fill vacancies fast so offered a good salary. My superior ended up getting a pay rise in the end but only because she queried it. Business is business at the end of the day and profits are there to be made.

Soldato
There's a lot of quite negative comments in here. I just wanted to say that I think that's ****** of them and that you should stand your ground and get paid properly. If the kid is paid more then he should be the supervisor. Greater responsibility should equate to greater pay.

Associate
There's a lot of quite negative comments in here. I just wanted to say that I think that's ****** of them and that you should stand your ground and get paid properly. If the kid is paid more then he should be the supervisor. Greater responsibility should equate to greater pay.

I think people are simply telling him that he has no legal basis to challenge the pay issue and the best way to sort it out would be to speak to his manager to see if a payrise can be agreed...not sure that is that negative, just realistic.

Associate

Yes, it should.

But meanwhile in the real world that's not how it works.

Back
Top Bottom