Belgian Grand Prix 2012, Spa-Francorchamps - Race 12/20

It seems that McLaren loading Hamilton up with the higher downforce package has pretty much stuffed his weekend.

Agreed. What were they thinking? You don't overtake people mid corner with higher downforce, and they are just going to be driving away from him down the long straights. I can only assume they were planning on a Button in Monza 2010 style race. Stick it on pole then defend. Starting 7th Hamilton is screwed.

On a track with long straights with the overtaking spots at the end of them how is high downforce anything but a poor race setup? It's not a crystal ball, its common sense.

You forget the tyre factor - downforce could have a huge influence on them. Fact is we just don't know with this F1 season.

It isn't common sense at all, there are a lot of other factors to think about.

Lewis is running the old wing not the new, said new was not working for him this morning, so they made a decision to go back to old, I guess he was a big part of that decision since he said the new one was not working for him.

Why does everyone assume that saying 'McLaren' means 'everyone at McLaren except the driver'?

Of course Hamilton was involved in the decision. Doesn't stop it looking like a bad one.

Why does everyone assume that saying 'McLaren' means 'everyone at McLaren except the driver'?

Of course Hamilton was involved in the decision. Doesn't stop it looking like a bad one.

So the other option was to run the new wing that he said was not working for him and maybe doing worse?

For someone who says they support Jenson more than Lewis you sure don't show it much, his 1st pole for McLaren and all you do is complain that Lewis got screwed over :D

Last edited:
So the other option was to run the new wing that he said was not working for him and maybe doing worse?

For someone who says they support Jenson more than Lewis you sure don't show it much, his 1st pole for McLaren and all you do is complain that Lewis got screwed over :D

+1 there.

Looks like it's Hamilton's own fault, he was given the same equipment as Button and couldn't make it work, so he chose to go back to the standard wing. How in any way is that the teams fault?

Hamilton's situation reminds me of Monza 2010. Hamilton opted for the low downforce package because, on paper, it should have been better. Button, on the other hand, went with a higher downforce package with the thinking that the F-Duct of that season would shed enough downforce in the crucial areas of the track (i.e., the long straights), while also being able to carry more corner speed due to the extra downforce.

Obviously Hamilton's thinking at Monza 2010 to go with a low downforce package was theoretically sound, but there must be a reason he chose to go for a higher downforce package for this race.

Back
Top Bottom