Poll: Belgian Grand Prix 2019, Spa-Francorchamps - Race 13/21

Rate the 2019 Belgian Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Soldato
RIP Antoine Hubert :(

That place on the circuit is extremely dangerous. Had his car not bounced off the wall like a ball and returned on the track on the racing line, he would have been alive and well.
That safety zone around Le Raidillon.... de l'Eau Rouge must be widened and shock absorbing walls must be installed.

WTH do the Belgium organisers think?

To be fair his car was hit by the other off track. (It was on the pit exit/no mans land between pit exit and track) That's not to say his car wouldn't have made it to the racing line but at the time it was hit it wasn't on it. With regards to the barriers i don't know whether they were the special ones they seem to have at some tracks or just tyres with a cover on the front so i couldn't say if that would've made a difference.

Soldato
RIP Hubert :(

I don't think F2 will be racing in Spa again.

I hope they do.I hope motorsport learns and adapts and overcomes. IIRC that is the first death or serious injury there in the modern era. Things have come a long way since Jackie Stewart led a drivers's rebellion; the deaths of Hubert and Bianchi show that we have some way to go.

Caporegime
I hope they do.I hope motorsport learns and adapts and overcomes. IIRC that is the first death or serious injury there in the modern era. Things have come a long way since Jackie Stewart led a drivers's rebellion; the deaths of Hubert and Bianchi show that we have some way to go.
Ask any driver they’ll still say it’s something they know might happen but just don’t think about. Ask any driver as well if they’d want track changes if they died and they’d say no. They know the risks and while it’s much, much safer than it’s ever been it’s still dangerous. It says on the back of every ticket. It’s a risk the drivers are willing to take. I’m not saying nothing should change, but changes, if any, should be thoroughly checked and worked out rather than be knee-jerk changes.

To change Eau Rouge and the Kemmel straight would change the absolute nature of that part of the track. Every driver would be vehemently against it. Thousands of cars have gone through there without any deaths for years and years but you can’t stop those freak, one in a million events. Yes you can reduce them, but the only way to stop them entirely is not to race.

Soldato
To change Eau Rouge and the Kemmel straight would change the absolute nature of that part of the track.

It would, and the questions should be not just, "Do we change the track?" but also, "Do we change the car?" Many times we have seen a car disintegrate, only for the driver to walk away unscathed, but perhaps more needs to be done. Better minds than ours will spend many hours on these questions.

Man of Honour
RIP Hubert :(

I don't think F2 will be racing in Spa again.

They will, but next year there will be big changes to that corner. Crazy place not to have a big run off.

It would, and the questions should be not just, "Do we change the track?" but also, "Do we change the car?" Many times we have seen a car disintegrate, only for the driver to walk away unscathed, but perhaps more needs to be done. Better minds than ours will spend many hours on these questions.

The FIAs investigation will be revealing and we don’t know the exact cause of death, but in terms of car safety I don’t see what more they can do given it was a full speed side impact and then second impact with a car. The monocoque seemed pretty intact too? All speculation of course at this point.

I feel like I did with bianchi. Strange to feel like this when you don’t even know the person.

Soldato
"Motorsport is dangerous" - it says that on the ticket.

You will NEVER stop fatalities in motor racing, you can reduce them yes, but there will always be those "freak" accident which, by their nature, are un-survivable.

We are fleshy bag flying around at over 200MPH, sometimes accidents happen and that is tragic - what we don't need is yet another knee-jerk over-reaction from the FIA!

You can be at risk of making the sport so saftey aware that it saps the essence of what is motor-sport, then no-one will watch it.

It's very sad in the sport I love, and RIP to all the great drivers over the ages that have given their lives for it.

Soldato
Saw the news and the footage. Horrific accident, no practical way you can avoid an incident like that either. Motorsports is indeed dangerous.

I guess they could add more runoff there to reduce the risk of an incident like that, but its not going to remove the risk of a freak accident.

Man of Honour
The end of this race will be interesting. I expect Ferrari to storm off, but their tyres don’t last. That said, it’s 10C cooler and none of them know what to expect.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Interestingly Pirelli increased the minimum pressures for rear slick tyres to 21psi after second practice, so expect lots of teams to be caught out with the lower track temps.

Back
Top Bottom