Belgium Grand Prix 2011, Spa Circuit - Race 12/19

Caporegime
looked like hamilton was following the curve of the corner and maldanado didnt so the gap closed maybe he thought he could force lewis to take avoiding action....

Soldato
There you go.

It would appear that the Stewards who have much more information than us, agree that although Maldo was to blame, Hamilton was not totally innocent.

If you look at the start of the thread, people were acting as if Maldo had committed the crime of the century. I suspect that the reason for this might've been because this is a British forum. Had it been Alonso in Hamilton's place, I wonder if Alonso would've received the same level support as Hamilton.

It was pretty clear to me from the get go that although Maldo was the instigator, Hamilton did nothing to avoid the collision. This is probably why Hamilton was reprimanded.

IMO Maldo should've been given a 10 place grid drop..but hey ho...lets make some predictions for tomorrow's race.

dry race:

1. Hamilton
2. Webber
3. Vettel

damp/wet race:

1. Button
Hamilton/Vettel/Alonso taking the remaining 3 spots.

Soldato
Bizarrely i wouldnt be surprised to see hamilton get some kind of slap on the wrist for instantly saying over the radio it was deliberate

I don't see what's wrong with the comment he made?

1. Button
Hamilton/Vettel/Alonso taking the remaining 3 spots.

Lewis is also good in the wet, and Button has a lot of cars to overtake.

Last edited:
Soldato
Lewis is also good in the wet, ...

Correction: Lewis is very fast in the wet. But, he makes mistakes in the wet and more often than not, ends up behind Button in wet races (despite being faster).
Also, in a wet/damp race, good strategy is a requirement, which we all know that Hamilton/McLaren are incapable of.
Button tends to make his own decisions in wet races, so McLaren's incompetence (with regards to Button), is negated.

...and Button has a lot of cars to overtake.

On a wet track, a fast driver can make mince meat of cars ahead of him. Wasnt Button in 21st place or similar in Canada...which he won?

On a dry track, I would agree that a good qualifying position is important. On a wet track (especially at Spa, where overtaking is possible), however, qualifying position counts for very little.

Last edited:

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Only a 5 place drop? Wow.

Seems like an absolute joke to me, but I guess the stewards have more information than we've seen. I'm amazed that Lewis hasn't gone into 'HULK SMASH!!!' mode yet, running his mouth off and swearing retribution on all concerned. Maybe he's a bit more grown up now than I've been giving him credit for. He's certainly got every right this time to feel pretty bloody aggrieved.

Good job it went just before Rivage. If it had gone at Pouhon it would have been very nasty.

You know, time was when folks in this country would have been pretty much praying for him to have a truly awful accident. By the time he did have a big one (Silverstone '99) there were only a few fringe nutters calling it a good thing. Funny how these things evolve.

***edit***

I know some of you get wound up when I do this (looking at you, Dr. Pain ;)), but from here on in I shall be referring to Pastor Maldonado as Braindead Moron MkII™. Braindead Moron™ of course has already been taken by NASCAR driver Carl 'Braindead Moron™' Edwards in my list, so Braindead Moron MkII™ will have to suffice.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yep. But he didnt block Hamilton or interfere with Hamilton's hot lap.
Yes he did. But it wasn't directly Maldonados fault, as Barrichello slowed after being wide out of Blanchimont, causing the traffic jam.

Admittedly Maldonado could have put 2+2 together and realised that Hamilton would probably be somewhere near him by that point, but not penalty worthy IMO.

Soldato
...Carl 'Braindead Moron™' Edwards in my list, so Braindead Moron MkII™ will have to suffice.

I've just done a quick check on Mr Edwards. What makes him brain dead?

He seems to win races regularly and finished 2nd in the championship a few years ago... He doesn't look that bad, to me.

Back
Top Bottom