BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Associate
Yes I meant "color vibrance" and have updated the post :)

Even though the monitor is on the gamme 5 profile, I had to tune the gamma settings down on the gpu drivers to get things to be anywhere near ok under normal usage. If I connect some thing else to the display (e.g Macbook) - the screen is awful, for example on google mail - there is no white/grey for read/unread, the page is completely white and no lines between the messages!

On the lagom gamma test with my GPU driver at defaults and panel settings adjusted, the bands blend at 1.6-1.7 (48%), 1.9 (25%), 2.0 (10%)
With tweaked gpu driver gamma to 0.8, the bands blend at 2.0 (48%), 2.1 (25%), 2.2 (10%)

So I can make it better on the drivers but still not perfect, but doesn't help when I plug in another device

@PCM2 - in your review it looks like the gamma average was pretty good with a panel setting of 4 or 5?

Is this normal on this panel for the gamma to be so far out or do I have a bad one? I am on the v002 firmware.
thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Hello, could one of you guys with this monitor take a picture of it in a dark room displaying a black image. Ive just got one and fear the light bleed is pretty bad.
Brightness at 40, contrast 40

Brightness at 20, contrast 40

The camera does make it look worse but its still very noticable. Should I return it?

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes I meant "color vibrance" and have updated the post :)

Even though the monitor is on the gamme 5 profile, I had to tune the gamma settings down on the gpu drivers to get things to be anywhere near ok under normal usage. If I connect some thing else to the display (e.g Macbook) - the screen is awful, for example on google mail - there is no white/grey for read/unread, the page is completely white and no lines between the messages!

On the lagom gamma test with my GPU driver at defaults and panel settings adjusted, the bands blend at 1.6-1.7 (48%), 1.9 (25%), 2.0 (10%)
With tweaked gpu driver gamma to 0.8, the bands blend at 2.0 (48%), 2.1 (25%), 2.2 (10%)

So I can make it better on the drivers but still not perfect, but doesn't help when I plug in another device

@PCM2 - in your review it looks like the gamma average was pretty good with a panel setting of 4 or 5?

Is this normal on this panel for the gamma to be so far out or do I have a bad one? I am on the v002 firmware.
thanks

You know, these BenQ XL models and others using the 144Hz panels seem to vary so much between individual units. The PG278Q is a great example, using a similar panel. Only a minority of units actually seem to gain 2.2 gamma if measured with a colorimeter, some reach as low as 1.8. And there is no way to adjust that on the SWIFT.

It is certainly possible that some XL2730Zs have much lower gamma than my review sample at each respective gamma setting. But from user feedback they generally seem to be good on that front, so if you can I'd consider getting it replaced.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks for the response - I raised an RMA with Benq so I'll see what happens :)

Yeah I agree. There definitely seems to be an issue with low level settings in those panels. And some people over on OCN were actually trying to "claim" that the 1.7 gamma on the ROG was 100% correct because "they tested it on a spectronomiter" or spyder or whatever it's called and it came out perfect at 2.2?!?!

Just the human ego trying to justify their $700 purchases....

If it comes out at 1.7-1.9 on Lagom,nl, it's NOT perfect. Period. Regardless of what a tool tells you.

My XL2720Z comes out as perfect 2.2 on the lagom site at the Gamma 3 setting, although I prefer a slightly higher gamma, so gamma 4 for me :)

Soldato
Yeah I agree. There definitely seems to be an issue with low level settings in those panels. And some people over on OCN were actually trying to "claim" that the 1.7 gamma on the ROG was 100% correct because "they tested it on a spectronomiter" or spyder or whatever it's called and it came out perfect at 2.2?!?!

Just the human ego trying to justify their $700 purchases....

If it comes out at 1.7-1.9 on Lagom,nl, it's NOT perfect. Period. Regardless of what a tool tells you.

My XL2720Z comes out as perfect 2.2 on the lagom site at the Gamma 3 setting, although I prefer a slightly higher gamma, so gamma 4 for me :)

Unless they have one of the older generation Spyders (3 or earlier) that were totally useless at measuring gamma, then they could even be lying or are referring to the gamma after calibration (with or without realising). But you really can't rely on visual indications of gamma such as used on Lagom on a panel where the gamma curve is so heavily influenced by viewing angle. Head position will alter the 'readings' on that test. The discrepancy observed here, though, points to something else being up (with the colorimeter or user).

At any rate, measuring and attempting to target a particular gamma on such a large TN panel is of limited benefit. I too tend to prefer higher central gamma averages on TN panels, because the bottom of the screen is always significantly lower than that from a normal viewing position. I don't tend to mind the raised gamma (deeper look) at the top so much, in comparison.

Last edited:
Associate
Unless they have one of the older generation Spyders (3 or earlier) that were totally useless at measuring gamma, then they could even be lying or are referring to the gamma after calibration (with or without realising). But you really can't rely on visual indications of gamma such as used on Lagom on a panel where the gamma curve is so heavily influenced by viewing angle. Head position will alter the 'readings' on that test. The discrepancy observed here, though, points to something else being up (with the colorimeter or user).

At any rate, measuring and attempting to target a particular gamma on such a large TN panel is of limited benefit. I too tend to prefer higher central gamma averages on TN panels, because the bottom of the screen is always significantly lower than that from a normal viewing position. I don't tend to mind the raised gamma (deeper look) at the top so much, in comparison.

Whenever I use lagom.nl, I make sure my head position is in the direct center of the panel area, and the gamma bars are lined up directly with me. That way there is no position oriented shift. I always thought this was common sense when testing these on TN panels :) I used that to get the gamma calibration on my Xl2720Z, and that came out to pretty much exactly 2.2 at "Gamma 3", but the gamma curve changes with brightness shades also, so some funky values may appear on the far left sliders (so to get a fully accurate and flat response requires calibration and an ICC profile). But for gaming, it's good enough.

When TFTCentral said that their ROG Swift came perfect with 2.2 gamma out of the box, and others felt the image was way too washed out and was clearly not 2.2 (and tested at 1.8 on lagom.nl), I mentioned that the proper gamma on "macintosh" computers for photo editing back in the day was 1.8, which was different from the sRGB standard for windows which is 2.2. I was just throwing that out there as this could have been some sort of factory error, or not, but there was clearly a gamma issue with some of these panels.

Associate
Can someone tell me whether it is possible to set the XL2730Z up to not display the BenQ logo at switch on. Can it be skipped so that you go straight into your desktop?

Thanks in Advance

:)

Soldato
Can someone tell me whether it is possible to set the XL2730Z up to not display the BenQ logo at switch on. Can it be skipped so that you go straight into your desktop?

Thanks in Advance

:)

Yep can be disabled, You need to enter the service menu -

How to enter the service menu on 2720Z:

Power off.

Hold down button #4 (MENU) for 5 seconds ,then press power while holding down MENU.

Then release. Eyecare logo will be bypassed and service menu is accessible.

Go back to the normal menu by powering it off and holding button #3 and #4 for 5 seconds, then press power on). If this is done correctly ,the INPUT OSD popup (DVI, HDMI, etc) will not appear at all after powering on.

Last edited:
Associate
Just don't turn on Internet Café or you'll be sorry
(most annoying setting EVER).

Also factory menu is button #3 and #4 for 5 seconds with power off, then power on.

There's a LOT of really interesting things in the factory menu (aka service menu #2; was called Factory menu in the older Z series, although on those monitors, the only useful thing was the "Scaler resolution" which was only added in V4 firmware).

Some pictures here.

http://forums.blurbusters.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2222&start=20

If only the XL2720Z had this info..maybe I could figure out how to get the (Mstar) scaler to accept a 1600 vertical resolution oh well, might be fun for someone...

Too bad this monitor doesn't handle strobing crosstalk by the Vertical Total anymore (as mentioned in that thread).

Associate
ok I have got to the factory menu. Which setting is for turning off the BenQ logo?

EDIT - I think I need the service menu (service Menu#1), not the factory menu (service menu#2)

OK I got it. Now sorted.

Cheers All
:D

Last edited:
Associate
Greeting all......

Finally I received my Benq xl2730z at first I was disappointed with the picture quality comparing it to my Yamakasi 120hz.
"Well that the nature of TN panel after all."
But after trying dU5t setting with much lower brightness & contrast I can say I'm more pleased with my purchase.
The screen is so much smoother than my Yamakasi even at 120hz and the game play is a night and day now.
So in my view there is a Big difference between 5ms vs 1ms

Soldato
Greeting all......

Finally I received my Benq xl2730z at first I was disappointed with the picture quality comparing it to my Yamakasi 120hz.
"Well that the nature of TN panel after all."
But after trying dU5t setting with much lower brightness & contrast I can say I'm more pleased with my purchase.
The screen is so much smoother than my Yamakasi even at 120hz and the game play is a night and day now.
So in my view there is a Big difference between 5ms vs 1ms

No; there is a big difference between "so-called 5ms" and "so-called 1ms". The BenQ is consistently faster across a broad range of transitions, which at the high refresh rate certainly makes it the smoother monitor. :)

Associate
Just wanted to post an update to my issues with screen blurring and flickering.

I'm now on my third XL2730Z! This one was brand new and V002 firmware out of the box. After using it to browse and game for the last 5 days, I can say I have not had any issues with the left side of screen becoming blurred or any flickering. I'm running the newest AMD beta driver, Freesync on with a 290x and I'm so happy to have this monitor working properly again, it is fantastic!
It seems I was just particularly unlucky to get 2 screens that required RMA (this is after my initial RMA for firmware update) for the same issue.
One thing I've noticed that's different from my first 2 monitors - When I power up my screen and PC, the screen does not come on now until the Windows login screen has appeared. With my previous 2 the screen came on much earlier (during POST). Not sure why, I'm using DisplayPort to connect, same as I did before.

BenQ deserve some praise for their customer service, despite some confusion over delivery addresses (I recently moved). They didn't even ask for any proof for the last RMA and were very apologetic for all the hassle I've gone through, and rightly supplied a brand new, up to date monitor for my troubles.

Game on! :)

Associate

I'm now on my third XL2730Z! This one was brand new and V002 firmware out of the box. After using it to browse and game for the last 5 days, I can say I have not had any issues with the left side of screen becoming blurred or any flickering. I'm running the newest AMD beta driver, Freesync on with a 290x and I'm so happy to have this monitor working properly again, it is fantastic!
It seems I was just particularly unlucky to get 2 screens that required RMA (this is after my initial RMA for firmware update) for the same issue.
One thing I've noticed that's different from my first 2 monitors - When I power up my screen and PC, the screen does not come on now until the Windows login screen has appeared. With my previous 2 the screen came on much earlier (during POST). Not sure why, I'm using DisplayPort to connect, same as I did before.

BenQ deserve some praise for their customer service, despite some confusion over delivery addresses (I recently moved). They didn't even ask for any proof for the last RMA and were very apologetic for all the hassle I've gone through, and rightly supplied a brand new, up to date monitor for my troubles.

Like they say Third time lucky huh. :D

Associate

Wow three times to get a working monitor , that's pretty rotten luck , but on the plus it is a cracking monitor , i've been using it for a few months now and every night i look forwards to my gaming session .

And yes i found BENQ support to be fantastic to when i had to send it back for a firmware update.

Happy Gaming .... :D:D:D:D

Back
Top Bottom