BenQ XL2730Z Freesync Owners Thread

Associate
Hi nails666, thanks for responding. May I ask did the problem happen after any specific crash or issue with PC, or did it just happen randomly after a while?

I received a reply from Sebastian at BenQ stating - It's very unlikely two monitors have the same fault, could I please test it on another computer?

So, I uninstalled the AMD GFX drivers and enabled the integrated GPU via BIOS. Connected via HDMI on the iGPU and the blurred text was still there, flickering was barely visible but present. I've also just taken the monitor to my friends house who has my old PC. It has an NVIDIA card and I can only connect via DVI on the graphics card. The same blurred text was evident and I have plenty of images to support. The blurred text problem is also evident in the OSD menus of the monitor, further proof that it's the screen at fault.

I'm presuming your screen is from Overclockers nails666? My original wasn't. The refurbed screen I just received has a previous RMA number on it and Overclockers tape. I know there's a slim chance it's your old monitor, but could you retrieve your RMA number and let me know it please? :)

@Energy88 - If you ever get an AMD card you'll regret not getting that firmware updated, as for the settings, I know it's a long thread but some other owners have posted some nice profiles of their settings. I'd tell you mine but I'm having some issues, but let me just say: despite my problems I do know what this monitor is capable of (including Freesync) and it is fantastic!

Thanks for reply, i will go through the thread when i get chance to find some settings and as far as AMD is concerned i will never go back to them after the problems iv'e had, not to mention performance issues.

Never realised until after i bought the monitor it was a freesync one, but if i dont need the new firmware with nvidia card all is good.

Last edited:
Associate
Some people suspected that the firmware update was ALSO a panel upgrade, because someone actually marked their panel before sending it to Benq, and when they got the monitor back, it was a _different_ panel than the one that was sent in.

And everyone has said that the image quality was improved even WITHOUT Using the freesync feature, so even if you are on an Nvidia card, you STILL should get the firmware upgraded, just in case its also a panel change, and enjoy the improved image quality, even without an AMD card.

Just get it upgraded.

Associate
And It's free so you won't have to pay a penny for RMA! Just a bit of a hassle.
Got a B grade benq for £200 cheaper then RRP just by it having v001. RMA back within 5 days, tech manufacturer should take point on how an RMA should be done!

Associate
Hey guys...I am very concerned about this monitor now because it is starting to show a bright haze on bottom of my panel mostly on bottom right corner. Is anyone else noticing this? I've read something similar on here with some users so I want to confirm if we are talking about the same thing. If I gently touch it with my finger I get that glowing effect which is common if one depresses the panel firmly with a finger but in my case I only have to touch it gently and there it is. Again this is only evident on that bottom area where haze is present. In certain angles it is pretty much all around the bottom of the panel with a reddish tint. I am very disappointed considering I paid $749 for it when it first came out.

Just to further refresh my experience with this monitor. I was probably one of the first who got my V002 update and posted my comments way back and noticed right away that in addition to FreeSync+OD firmware fix the panel itself seemed different in term of color/calibration. As someone also mentioned on here the panel itself appeared to have been exchanged. I never posted this claim but since someone else suspected of this I think it now may be the case. BenQ maybe switching out the entire panel out. Another proof of this is that before I shipped mine out it was a perfect screen; no dead pixel(s) but shortly after I received my V002 update I noticed one stuck pixel on upper left corner but I assumed I may have missed it before shipping it out.

Not a happy camper now and will be notifying BenQ again regarding the issue and will be updating you all.

Overall: I love this monitor it is probably the best monitor available for those with AMD cards. My brother owns the Acer Gsync IPS and can't compete with the speed of this monitor. Better image quality somewhat and viewing angles but mine is noticeable faster in pixel response. Still can't get why he choose IPS for gaming...and we are twins. :)

Last edited:
Associate
Hi nails666, thanks for responding. May I ask did the problem happen after any specific crash or issue with PC, or did it just happen randomly after a while?

I received a reply from Sebastian at BenQ stating - It's very unlikely two monitors have the same fault, could I please test it on another computer?

So, I uninstalled the AMD GFX drivers and enabled the integrated GPU via BIOS. Connected via HDMI on the iGPU and the blurred text was still there, flickering was barely visible but present. I've also just taken the monitor to my friends house who has my old PC. It has an NVIDIA card and I can only connect via DVI on the graphics card. The same blurred text was evident and I have plenty of images to support. The blurred text problem is also evident in the OSD menus of the monitor, further proof that it's the screen at fault.

I'm presuming your screen is from Overclockers nails666? My original wasn't. The refurbed screen I just received has a previous RMA number on it and Overclockers tape. I know there's a slim chance it's your old monitor, but could you retrieve your RMA number and let me know it please? :)

@Energy88 - If you ever get an AMD card you'll regret not getting that firmware updated, as for the settings, I know it's a long thread but some other owners have posted some nice profiles of their settings. I'd tell you mine but I'm having some issues, but let me just say: despite my problems I do know what this monitor is capable of (including Freesync) and it is fantastic!

Sorry for the delay, for some reason the forums aren't emailing me when new posts are made to subscribed threads any more.

On mine it just happened randomly, I was just browsing some websites (I think it was actually these forums) and the screen made a clicking noise, flickered off briefly and when it came back the burring was there.

My monitor did indeed come from here, I'll try and find the RMA number and serial number of the screen and I'll send them via a private message on here.

Associate
Picked up two of these which were delivered Saturday.

I have to say they are exceptional, but then I was using a benq xl2310T and an even older Benq FP241wz.

The colours pop and the freesync + 144hz is buttery smooth for CS:GO and Planetside2.

I do have a question though:

I have a R290 Tri-x Sapphire - this has 2x DVI 1xHDMI and 1xDisplay Port.

I assume the best config is 1 mointor to Display Port and the other is best served via dual link DVI (which limits the refresh to 60hz).

If I want to run both at 144hz I will need to get a Fury which has 4xdisplay port?

Thanks.

Rob.

Associate
Picked up two of these which were delivered Saturday.

I have to say they are exceptional, but then I was using a benq xl2310T and an even older Benq FP241wz.

The colours pop and the freesync + 144hz is buttery smooth for CS:GO and Planetside2.

I do have a question though:

I have a R290 Tri-x Sapphire - this has 2x DVI 1xHDMI and 1xDisplay Port.

I assume the best config is 1 mointor to Display Port and the other is best served via dual link DVI (which limits the refresh to 60hz).

If I want to run both at 144hz I will need to get a Fury which has 4xdisplay port?

Thanks.

Rob.

Yep. That would be the only solution if you want to run more than 1 monitor via FS at 144hz...in case you are not aware FS on this monitor works optimally only at 120/144hz anyway. This was tested and proven to be the case. It will not allow any other manual settings even within 120-144hz in addition to the above limitation. What does this mean? It means do not plan to hook up a console to it. This monitor was tailored only for PC gaming. BenQ does however offer a monitor for consoles but forgot the model name.

Last edited:
Associate
Hey guys...I am very concerned about this monitor now because it is starting to show a bright haze on bottom of my panel mostly on bottom right corner. Is anyone else noticing this? I've read something similar on here with some users so I want to confirm if we are talking about the same thing. If I gently touch it with my finger I get that glowing effect which is common if one depresses the panel firmly with a finger but in my case I only have to touch it gently and there it is. Again this is only evident on that bottom area where haze is present. In certain angles it is pretty much all around the bottom of the panel with a reddish tint. I am very disappointed considering I paid $749 for it when it first came out.

Just to further refresh my experience with this monitor. I was probably one of the first who got my V002 update and posted my comments way back and noticed right away that in addition to FreeSync+OD firmware fix the panel itself seemed different in term of color/calibration. As someone also mentioned on here the panel itself appeared to have been exchanged. I never posted this claim but since someone else suspected of this I think it now may be the case. BenQ maybe switching out the entire panel out. Another proof of this is that before I shipped mine out it was a perfect screen; no dead pixel(s) but shortly after I received my V002 update I noticed one stuck pixel on upper left corner but I assumed I may have missed it before shipping it out.

Not a happy camper now and will be notifying BenQ again regarding the issue and will be updating you all.

Overall: I love this monitor it is probably the best monitor available for those with AMD cards. My brother owns the Acer Gsync IPS and can't compete with the speed of this monitor. Better image quality somewhat and viewing angles but mine is noticeable faster in pixel response. Still can't get why he choose IPS for gaming...and we are twins. :)

UPDATE:::
The issue I listed above completely went away after using it for a few hours. I wonder if having the monitor completely powered off the wall for about 72hr while away from home had something to do with it. Pixel re-charging perhaps?

Associate
Yep. That would be the only solution if you want to run more than 1 monitor via FS at 144hz...in case you are not aware FS on this monitor works optimally only at 120/144hz anyway. This was tested and proven to be the case. It will not allow any other manual settings even within 120-144hz in addition to the above limitation. What does this mean? It means do not plan to hook up a console to it. This monitor was tailored only for PC gaming. BenQ does however offer a monitor for consoles but forgot the model name.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here, FreeSync only works over displayport anyway and no console supports it but that doesn't mean you can't connect a console via HDMI and use the monitor fine. Yeah as it's 1440p running a console at 1080p won't be native resolution but it'll be no worse than any other 1440p monitor for consoles.

Associate
^^^ I am curious about that as well. This is an exceptional monitor, it is kind of strange to see its price drop so steeply in a matter of a few days.

Last edited:
Associate
To tempt people away from some of the models shown off at IFA, possibly. Or simply because it was due another price drop, I wouldn't complain.

Oh no, not complaining at all. Ordering myself one today - just wanted to know if there were any underlying issues which resulted in the price drop etc.

Soldato
Is there any specific reasoning as to why this monitor's now priced at £419/439 instead of the 499 it cost a few days ago?

It was probably to price match another website selling them for the same price.

Second time it's been this price since its release and that was months ago so I purchased one today. Didn't want to miss out like that last time.

Caporegime
What is the main difference between this and Acer XG270HUomidpx?

Not much at all, Acer will now also accept/arrange a replacement to update the firmware. At £270-300 they are available for the BenQ with mostly the same components... well, it rather shows why I believed at above £400 these were an utter rip off. £270 for an Acer, I haven't arranged a pickup for the firmware fix yet because I bought it on special but had a assignment to finish so haven't had the chance yet.

Going to chase up a guy on the Acer forums who works for them and helps arrange the update. I've been led to believe it's not as easy as BenQ are making it. Though the guy on their forums is saying he'll help arrange it and get the shipping covered for it... will have to wait to see if that is true.

Updated Acer to get freesync + overdrive, as good as the Benq, maybe not, is the BenQ worth £150-200 more, no.

If people keep overpaying for things clearly not worth the price they will continue to both get ripped off and buy stuff only to see prices drop massively.

If a 1080p 24" 144hz can be had for £150, a 27" 1080p 144hz can be had for £250 and a 27" 1440p 60hz can be had for £250... wtf is anyone paying over £300 for these features together. A 120-144hz version of a 60hz panel really doesn't cost that much more, £50, maybe, tops.

Associate
Not much at all, Acer will now also accept/arrange a replacement to update the firmware. At £270-300 they are available for the BenQ with mostly the same components... well, it rather shows why I believed at above £400 these were an utter rip off. £270 for an Acer, I haven't arranged a pickup for the firmware fix yet because I bought it on special but had a assignment to finish so haven't had the chance yet.

Going to chase up a guy on the Acer forums who works for them and helps arrange the update. I've been led to believe it's not as easy as BenQ are making it. Though the guy on their forums is saying he'll help arrange it and get the shipping covered for it... will have to wait to see if that is true.

Updated Acer to get freesync + overdrive, as good as the Benq, maybe not, is the BenQ worth £150-200 more, no.

If people keep overpaying for things clearly not worth the price they will continue to both get ripped off and buy stuff only to see prices drop massively.

If a 1080p 24" 144hz can be had for £150, a 27" 1080p 144hz can be had for £250 and a 27" 1440p 60hz can be had for £250... wtf is anyone paying over £300 for these features together. A 120-144hz version of a 60hz panel really doesn't cost that much more, £50, maybe, tops.

At the moment I have got both, my BenQ has the latest firmware but I am not sure about the Acer one. My BenQ is £100 more expensive than my Acer one.
I am using a 7990 only so I wont be able to tell is there any problem with the overdrive setting with Freesync.

I have just done some research and it says Acer didnt recall any of this monitor for firmware upgrade, unlike BenQ, so it is almost 100% that mine has the old firmware.
What I hate about Acer is the customer service takes 1 week to get things done, hate that long wait...

Associate
Hey guys

Just got this monitor today... tweaked my settings, and then jumped straight in to BF4 in 1440p 144hz goodness :) Lovelllly so much better than my 27" 1080p !!

How do you guys find the grey/whites just doing normal stuff like google mail / outlook / etc ... I'm finding that the text is extremely light and greys are nearly white! Any ideas?

My settings

Blur reduction off
Black eq 0
Color vibrance 10
Low blue 0
Instant on
Auto game on
Picture standard
Brightness 45
Contrast 45
Sharpness 5
Gamma 5