Best 1440p monitor for £500

Soldato
OP
Mainly gaming and browsing the net I guess. Watch a few tv shows on it too.

Would like to avoid dell after the power button failing after just a year on my current monitor.

Like the samsung's but they are a bit too pricey for me. The Asus seems good value.

Soldato
Reckon I'll go with the Asus pb278q. Reviews seem good and it is a fair bit cheaper than its main rivals. Also, I've been impressed with Asus products lately.

You'll not regret the Asus, I owned one and loved it. Colours are exquisite on the matte/semi-gloss PLS panel and the viewing angles are superb.

The only monitor "better" than it is the Samsung S27B970D as Sycho said although it is very expensive but I managed to pick one up for £600 so went with it but the Asus was a very close second and honestly represents much better value for money and only for the deal I got on the Samsung I'd still have it.

Soldato
OP
You'll not regret the Asus, I owned one and loved it. Colours are exquisite on the matte/semi-gloss PLS panel and the viewing angles are superb.

The only monitor "better" than it is the Samsung S27B970D as Sycho said although it is very expensive but I managed to pick one up for £600 so went with it but the Asus was a very close second and honestly represents much better value for money and only for the deal I got on the Samsung I'd still have it.

Thanks for the opinion on the Asus, pretty sure that'll be the one I go for. The Samsung would be first choice but it is just too far above my budget really.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dell u2713HM is an amazing monitor when you actually get one without backlight bleed! i had to exchange 4 times before i got one i was happy with.

No way I would get another Dell. I've had no issues with the screen itself and its been a great monitor, but the failed power button and Dells attitude when I contacted them about it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Soldato
OP
Read a few reviews of the U2713HM now and it seems to be on par with the Asus and is £50 cheaper.

So now I am kind of at odds with my dislike of Dell as a company and going for the better value monitor :o

What is the quality of the buttons like on the U2713HM? Do they feel tactile and robust? Or likely to fail after 12 months like my 2407WFP?

Associate
What is the quality of the buttons like on the U2713HM? Do they feel tactile and robust? Or likely to fail after 12 months like my 2407WFP?

The quality of the menu buttons are excellent and the menu itself is superb, just beware if you go for this monitor that its a lottery if you get a perfect one, quite a few people including myself have suffered or are suffering from light bleed which i pointed out above.

If you get a perfect one your laughing as its a fantastic monitor.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Also the U2713HM is £30 off this week. Very tempting!

Yeh, just seen the dell is £409 at the moment, great price. Is the Asus worth £60 more? From what I've been reading the Asus is a slightly better monitor.

I've totally ruled out the Samsung as it is priced just too far above what I'm happy to spend on a monitor. Especially when oled ones will probably be with us in the next couple of years.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom