Best 1440p monitor for £500

Soldato
OP
Mainly gaming and browsing the net I guess. Watch a few tv shows on it too.

Would like to avoid dell after the power button failing after just a year on my current monitor.

Like the samsung's but they are a bit too pricey for me. The Asus seems good value.

Soldato
OP
You'll not regret the Asus, I owned one and loved it. Colours are exquisite on the matte/semi-gloss PLS panel and the viewing angles are superb.

The only monitor "better" than it is the Samsung S27B970D as Sycho said although it is very expensive but I managed to pick one up for £600 so went with it but the Asus was a very close second and honestly represents much better value for money and only for the deal I got on the Samsung I'd still have it.

Thanks for the opinion on the Asus, pretty sure that'll be the one I go for. The Samsung would be first choice but it is just too far above my budget really.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Dell u2713HM is an amazing monitor when you actually get one without backlight bleed! i had to exchange 4 times before i got one i was happy with.

No way I would get another Dell. I've had no issues with the screen itself and its been a great monitor, but the failed power button and Dells attitude when I contacted them about it just leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

Soldato
OP
Read a few reviews of the U2713HM now and it seems to be on par with the Asus and is £50 cheaper.

So now I am kind of at odds with my dislike of Dell as a company and going for the better value monitor :o

What is the quality of the buttons like on the U2713HM? Do they feel tactile and robust? Or likely to fail after 12 months like my 2407WFP?

Soldato
OP
Also the U2713HM is £30 off this week. Very tempting!

Yeh, just seen the dell is £409 at the moment, great price. Is the Asus worth £60 more? From what I've been reading the Asus is a slightly better monitor.

I've totally ruled out the Samsung as it is priced just too far above what I'm happy to spend on a monitor. Especially when oled ones will probably be with us in the next couple of years.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Still leaning towards the Asus as I'm reading lots of quality issues with the dell. This added to my past experience with the poorly designed power button on my 2407wfp means i'll probably buy the Asus.

One question, will I need a different cable for the higher res? I'm hearing you need a dvi-d cable? What's display port connection?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Yeah, I'm still torn between the Asus and the Dell. Although also been looking at the Veiwsonic, but it's a little above my budget. The Catleaps look quite nice for the price but i'd be a bit worried about the warranty and returns if I got a bad one.

Soldato
OP
Except that half the Dells have bad backlight bleed in the bottom left corner puts me off.

I know all LCD monitors will have a certain degree of bleed due to the technology and manufacture process, but some of the pictures of the yellow bleed on the Dells are very poor indeed.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
If the power button failed just after a year I would be pressing the supplier of the monitor under the sale of goods act and stating that it was not fit for purpose. :)

Tried this but as it was a few weeks out of warranty, I had no joy from either the supplier or dell. Criminal really for a £400 monitor.

I guess I could have chased it through the small claims court but as the monitor was still usable I couldn't be bothered with the hassle.

Soldato
OP
I'm not sure any monitor costing over £400 can be called a budget offering but I know what you mean. It is a bit cheaper than comparable models.

No way I'll buy a dell knowing I can't send it back if it is riddled with defects though.

Back
Top Bottom