Best Games you've ever played

Associate
I don't think I could ever pick one game, it's the same with music - different things for different moods :) Thought I'd flesh it out a little more too.

Wipeout 2097

- Massive sense of speed, crazy tracks, great weapons and loads of ships on the track. Was easy to pick up but difficult to master. Loads of fun though!

Alien Breed (Amiga)

- Me and my brothers were kids playing this but loved it - don't have keys? Blast the door open at the expense of ammo! Didn't get too far though, we weren't hardcore gamers (just normal kids ;) ) and like every amiga game, it was rock hard!

Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 (not Yuri's Revenge though)

- Skirmishes only at that. Just something about it that I enjoyed more than Homeworld, C&C Tiberiun Sun etc.

Deus Ex

- Perfect. Do things pretty much how you want and a decent storyline to go with it. no one messes with my Stealth Pistol...

Final Fantasy VII

- Loved the setting, the flexible combat system, story and characters. Not keen on traditional RPG's, I think this is about as close as I'll enjoy (the Final Fantasy series that is). Pipped X to the post, I enjoyed that too but preferred VII's more urgent story.

Gran Turismo 1/3/4

- 2 was good, there was just something a bit off with the handling. Always loved cars and although the AI's a bit pants, just like in real life, the skill is in the lap times :D The original had more fun handling, sliding was a piece of cake and that the "Racing Modifications" transforming any car into a stripped out racer was ace (FTO!). 3 had immersive graphics, improved handling over 2 and the ace rally stages up it's sleeve. 4 was just immense in every sense. Still haven't even come close to completing it!

Shadow of the Colossus

- Just an amazing experience with original gameplay. The setting was so mysterious, just got drawn right in.

There are probably loads that I've forgotten about - Rollercoaster Tycoon, Unreal Tournament are ones that are sitting there at the back of my mind!

EDIT: Ooo, Metal Gear Solid!
EDIT 2: Rainbow Island!

Last edited:
Soldato
At the moment... Fallout3 by miles. I've been playing it for several weeks now and while there are annoying features (nothing's perfect!), there is something about this game which is lifting it higher and higher in my esteem. It works so well on so many levels. I feel like I've stumbled across a great series of SF books, and can't wait to read the next chapter.

While I'm here, how about a few titles that have shaped (and wasted! ;) my gaming life over three decades...

0) Invaders/Asteroids/Scramble in the arcades, because you never forget your first love. :)
1) Jet Pack on the Speccy
2) Revs and Elite on the BBC Micro
3) The game I wasted two years working on for the Acorn A5000 before discovering...
4) F-19 Stealth Fighter and Railway Tycoon (unexpectedly) on early PCs
5) Tornado and IndyCar Racing on my first PC
6) Doom!
7) Flanker/Flanker2/LOMAC
8) Grand Prix Legends
9) Far Cry
10) iRacing

All these stand out from the merely average games I've played over the years.

Andrew McP

Permabanned
Glad to see I'm not the only old DAoC player on here :)

I loved that game from beta through to ToA where it was ruined, the encounters and so on were fantastic but the scroll/artifact thing was silly in my view.

For me it would be

DAoC
Quake 2
GTA3

Many many more but these 3 stand out.

Associate
Has to be Body Harvest on the Nintendo 64, used to spent HOURS on that.

Didn't expect that. I did love Body Harvest, not quite best ever type love, but underrated.

These threads are done to death, but if it wasn't for one just like this, I would never have played Psychonauts.

Soldato
Vintage:-
Settlers 2 - Amiga
Scorched Tanks - Amiga
Jetset Willy - C64

Vintage console:-
Double Dragon II - NES
Supermario 1 - NES
Supermario 3 - NES
Battletoads - NES
Lost Vikings - SNES
Supermario World - SNES
Street Fighter II - SNES (used to get blisters on my left thumb from the cross pad)
Sensible Soccer - Xbox

PC and current console:-
Q3 - PC
Colin Mcrae 2 - PC
Wolfenstein - Enemy Territory - PC
Codename Eagle - PC (classic!)
CS:S - PC
BF1942 - PC
BF2 - PC
MOHAA - PC
Flatout - PC (great fun on LAN gaming)
Left 4 Dead - PC
Warhawk - PS3
WAW - PS3
GTA5 - PS3
Ninja Gaiden - PS3
Prince of Persia - PS3

If I could only have one game to play for a year then Left 4 Dead for sure!

Soldato
My top 10 favourite ever:

1: Counter-Strike
2: Half-Life
3: Mortal Kombat II
4: Street Fighter IV
5: Madden NFL 2010
6: Half-Life 2 + The Episodes
7: Killer Instinct
8: Streets of Rage 2
9: Super Mario All Stars
10: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare

Caporegime
Grand Theft Auto IV. A stunning masterpiece. The game world created is simply amazing. The shootings, cars, radio, the story and the characters create more than just a game, it feels like you're in a real city.

Half Life. It isn't everyday that you come across a game that totally revolutionizes an entire genre, but Half-Life did that. A stunning world, brilliant moving story telling, character development and combat that all come together to form the best First Person Shooter game made.

World of Warcraft. It took everything that worked in the MMO experience, broke it down into its basic parts, and improves upon them all. A world that is polished and finished brilliantly by Blizzard. Game development at it's best.

Baldurs Gate Series. A RPG that I lost many many hours to, a world that is full to the brim with fantastic story telling, characters and things to do. The line between game and art is blurred in these games. Magnificent.

Football Manager. My passion, my hobby. I get to be a Manager of my football team, in a game that let's me do it all, tweaked to almost perfection. A game that will draw players in for days at a time, that often feels like only hours.

The Sims. Great fun. Easily one of the best things EA have done, a game that appealed to a wide variety of PC gamers and one that introduced a new type of gamer. I spent many hours making weird and wonderful mini soap operas and designing fantastic looking houses.

Halo. A amazing game, the best FPS on a console. A good story line, brilliant set pieces, good weapons and it looked very good. The best multiplayer fun me and my mates had in years. Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant.

Pokemon. Don't give a **** what anyone thinks, Red and Blue were awesome ! hands down brilliant fun, still play them through with most of the lads every year (despite been old ourselves) just brilliant, simple enjoyment.

Space Invaders. This took up much of my time :(

Chuckie Egg. **** you whoever made this game ! It killed hours of my life! Brilliant fun ! :)

I couldn't pick just one single game :(

Back
Top Bottom