Best mATX conroe capable board for sensible money

Associate
Hi,

I've done a search but nothing conclusive came out of it.
What is the best microATX conroe capable board I can buy at the moment for up to about 70 quid. I can only wait about 2 weeks maximum so has to be something "out there" now.

I was looking at the ASUS P5VD2-MX, i know its VIA chipset but it seems to tick other boxes ok. I'd be looking to put an E6300 in it.

Opinions?

Thanks

Gommsta

Associate
OP
Agreed that board looks nice but 91 quid is a push for me at the moment :/

Something i'm not really "up" on is board chipsets. What should i be looking for? 965? 945? What are the main differences?

Associate
yea Gommsta, that chipset seems to be the best on the market for core 2 duo

i wouldnt pay that much to, maybe 70 quid but thats still a lot for a matx
board

Soldato
I don't understand these 'bit much for an mATX board' comments. If it has all the features in less space, then why shouldn't something smaller cost the same or more than a full-sized ATX motherboard. On that way of thinking Shuttles should cost peanuts. And we all know that's never going to happen ;)

Soldato
Most people are saying the 965express chipset is the best for OCing the Allendale's with the new 975 better for the conroe's.

the 965 comes in three flavours - p965 (proformance) - G965 (graphics - which btw are really poor need separate GPU) and Q965 (business - extra connectivity and guarenteed life cycle)

no mATX or uATX boards with P965 yet or 975 for that matter :( - some P965 are out now, with the Q965 out soon (not soon enought)

mATX board don't have room for everything but the rise in premium SFF systems is giving manifactures excuse for premium prices. I know you can't wait, but mATX prices should fall when Asus have serious compertition on the shelves (ABIT, DFI and Gigabyte all have good SFF boards due out soon)

Arc

Arc

Associate
Its a bit of a problem at the moment because choice for MATX Conroe boards is limited. The newer ATi boards should be out soon as will the Nvidia boards (planned for next month).

Give it two months and we'll have plenty of choice.

Associate
OP
WJA96, you're dead right. It does make no sense. I need to decide whether i'm building a performance machine or not and if so then i'll need to pay performance money.

Aside from the newer 965 boards that Asrock Conroe G945-DVI seems to do quite well and is not much money. Problem i see is with low FSB though as i'd be looking to mate it with an E6300.

hmmmmmmm

Associate
Gommsta said:
Aside from the newer 965 boards that Asrock Conroe G945-DVI seems to do quite well and is not much money. Problem i see is with low FSB though as i'd be looking to mate it with an E6300.

hmmmmmmm

Same problem I've got. It'd be a crime to buy an e6300 and not violate it. But theres no matx boards capable of this really at the mo. I've been waiting ages for one, you would have thought there would have been a good performance mobo ages ago, but no.

Permabanned
Paramount said:
Same problem I've got. It'd be a crime to buy an e6300 and not violate it. But theres no matx boards capable of this really at the mo. I've been waiting ages for one, you would have thought there would have been a good performance mobo ages ago, but no.
im hopeing the asus P5B-VM is as good as the P5W DH for overclocking, i have a 6300 too and its so annoying because i cant overclock it with the gigabyte board i have at the moment

Soldato
The review of the Asrock 945 board on Anandtech was disappointing. I mean, no Vcore options! What were Asrock thinking?

Putting an order in one week from today for the parts I want, and it'll be based around the P5B-VM, that board looks the dog's danglies.

Soldato
I've just downloaded the ASUS P5B-VM manual and the BIOS options are pretty poor on that board too;

1. The CPU FSB only goes up to 400
2. You can't lock the PCIe BUS frequency separately from the CPU FSB so it'll crap out at 300, just like the ASRock ones.

It's not very surprising that the ASUS and ASRock systems are so similar, really, given that ASUS is ASRock's parent company.

Associate
OP
oh "bother"

So in that case theres very little point paying the 90 quid for the asus when the asrock does the same job for 50?

I suppose we need to wait and see some benchies and see what that fsb will do in reality.

Back
Top Bottom