Best movie soundtracks / tunes ?

Soldato
Lots of movies have great complimentary soundtracks. The Good, the Bad and the Ugly's entirely carries the movie. When it's present, and when it isn't. Who could disagree?

Soldato
Its the Aliens Soundtrack.
Its entirely epic, even more so considering that Horner was given no time to do it in, and hadnt seen the completed film.

Yup, I'd have to agree on this. If I could pick one this would be it, probably. Especially the opening, and especially the 'retreating' scene. Highly memorable.

That said, Fight Club by the Dust Brothers is amazing, American Beauty, Gladiator, Requiem for a Dream and also Pi had some great electronic tunes cobbled together. I think the Bourne films may even have some good soundtracks...

Soldato
Pretty much anything Hans Zimmer. Brian Tyler is also up and coming - one of his best being the music to Bubba Ho-Tep. Bear McCreary who does the music to BSG and Sarah Connor chronicles is also producing good stuff

Going back a bit, Ennio Morricone's scores for the spaghetti Westerns were ahead of their time and still send a tingle down the spine.

I guess John Wlliam's is one of the more iconic composers but not 100% to my taste.

Honourable mention also to Howard Shore and James Horner.

Soldato
Thought I would revive this thread, rather than start a new one.

I was just listening to 'Superman returns' as it aired on BBC3 and started making a mental list of my favourite (imo best) themes.

1. The Magnificent Seven (I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned already)

2. Thunderbirds (again no mention!)

3. Superman (and re-used for Superman returns)

Soldato
Vangelis' soundtrack to Bladerunner, perfection.
This, anything Howard Shore did for David Cronenberg (eXistenZ and Naked Lunch are my personal favourites), Waking Life, I listen to a couple of tracks from Sakuran (Heisei Fuuzoku by Shiina Ringo) on a daily basis.

Soldato
Some fine choices in this thread, so rather than repeating half of them, I'll add another one.
The whole soundtrack for Kingom of Heaven is superb. Here's one track:

Back
Top Bottom