• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Best possible Ryzan build?

Soldato
Hi guys, what's the best possible motherboard, RAM and SSD combo with a Ryzan 2700x?

I'm looking at a Samsung 970 EVO M.2 which I believe can be plugged directly in to the motherboard, and will offer the very best performance.

But, I'm not sure which mobo and ram combo?

I want pure performance and overclocking ability (if I so wish to push it).

Appreciate any thoughts and help.

Soldato
Soldato
I agree with the choice of mobo, but defo not the ram. The XMP on the 4000mhz B-Die will not work on Ryzen at the moment. A much better choice would be: https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...3200mhz-dual-channel-kit-black-my-08l-tg.html
so just wind the ram back to 3200, they're both the same price so it would be silly to go for the slower when they are both b die and with very minimal tweaking (if indeed any) will work. then if bios updates allow in the future the op may get closer to the rated 4000mhz

Soldato
so just wind the ram back to 3200, they're both the same price so it would be silly to go for the slower when they are both b die and with very minimal tweaking (if indeed any) will work. then if bios updates allow in the future the op may get closer to the rated 4000mhz

Don't be stupid. They are both exactly the same ram, the only difference is the XMP settings. If the OP was to set DOHCP (AMD's version of XMP) his rig would never boot at 4000mhz. He has already said he wants a 2700x, OP go for the 3200mhz. It will boot at that on DOHP standard and you can clock the ram from there.

Soldato
Is the ram the same :)? Always wondered about that, is it not better in any way?

Of course it is. 8pack and OCUK might have binned it a bit different because it defo reaches 4000mhz on there test beds, but it's still the same ram. What matters to Ryzen users is at the moment it just simply will not run at 4000mhz, so no point in buying ram with an XMP profile you can never boot at.

Soldato
Regarding ram just food for thought.

On the CH6 with 1800X my Ripjaws V 3600C16 ram was recognised on first boot and even was automatically overclocked to 3633C15 when set the DOP in bios.
And I bought this back back in 2015 for £120. (16Gb)

Same ram right now operates at 4133C17 on the Z370 platform.
So I bet with bit tweaking might achieve 4000 in the more stable X470/B450 platform.

Soldato
Regarding ram just food for thought.

On the CH6 with 1800X my Ripjaws V 3600C16 ram was recognised on first boot and even was automatically overclocked to 3633C15 when set the DOP in bios.
And I bought this back back in 2015 for £120. (16Gb)

Same ram right now operates at 4133C17 on the Z370 platform.
So I bet with bit tweaking might achieve 4000 in the more stable X470/B450 platform.

Yes, of course it was :rolleyes: You should be able to show us all the screenshots you took then of this wonder ram that went straight 3633 c15 on a CH6...............................looking forward to it.

Soldato
Yes, of course it was :rolleyes: You should be able to show us all the screenshots you took then of this wonder ram that went straight 3633 c15 on a CH6...............................looking forward to it.

You will find them on overclock.net discussion about the CH6 and in here on the Ryzen discussion.
Look at the October time. (10-18)

And if you still insist, stay tuned. On saturday I am due to clean up the system. I will plug the CH6 with the 1800X just to prove the point :)

Update.

That was after everyone at OC.NET got scared about the SOC voltage at default lowering the ram speeds from auto to manual, still 3605Mhz C16.....

That 1800X was peculiar. Depending the bios on the CH6 was auto overclocking to 4.1gha 4 or 6 cores but never the same cores between bios changes. (1701 was the most stable one for me back then).

f6adbfa3_YXMtKJd.png

Last edited:
Associate
For SSD you want the Intel Optane 900p if you want maximum performance.

The sequential speeds fall a bit behind the Samsung but the most important metric for desktop performance are the 4K random reads at 1 queue depth. The Optane smashes everything else here by an order of magnitude.

I have this drive with the m.2 adapter:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...e-drive-with-m.2-cable-adaptor-hd-08m-in.html

The 2.5 inch drive also allows you to position it near good airflow so you won’t thermally throttle, unlike normal M.2 sticks.

Soldato
For SSD you want the Intel Optane 900p if you want maximum performance.

The sequential speeds fall a bit behind the Samsung but the most important metric for desktop performance are the 4K random reads at 1 queue depth. The Optane smashes everything else here by an order of magnitude.

I have this drive with the m.2 adapter:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/inte...e-drive-with-m.2-cable-adaptor-hd-08m-in.html

The 2.5 inch drive also allows you to position it near good airflow so you won’t thermally throttle, unlike normal M.2 sticks.

280Gb for over £300 holy moly :eek:

I don't think you'd notice a real world difference between the Samsung and Intel.

Associate
Sounds like the OP is after the best of the best though, and that is :)

Ignore what the spec sheet says about aes 256 encryption though - there is currently no way to enable it so it’s worthless. My own personal bugbear after long conversations with Intel support who didn’t have a clue about it.

Soldato
OP
I'm a little confused about the Optane, that's a normal SSD drive - I though the tiny M2 'sticks' that go on the mobo are the very fastest thing?

And without sounding crass, price isn't an issue, so the best of the best is all I want.

Soldato
I'm a little confused about the Optane, that's a normal SSD drive - I though the tiny M2 'sticks' that go on the mobo are the very fastest thing?

And without sounding crass, price isn't an issue, so the best of the best is all I want.

32 core TR is out soon. That will be miles ahead of anything else.

If price isn't an issue and you just want the fastest possible storage then you should be looking at retail drives. If you've got the money you can have 40Gbit/s or more and big capacity.

M.2 and U 2 are the fast connections offered on most motherboards, but you need to buy the right drive.

Associate

The Optane 900p SSD uses a totally different memory type to normal SSD's with it's 3D-XPoint memory. It's exactly the same type as the little M.2 sticks you mention use, which make it pretty much as fast as them give or take.

Anandtech as always explains things better than I can:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11953/the-intel-optane-ssd-900p-review/7

Note that the 905p drive is also on it's way soon, you may want to wait for that.

Back
Top Bottom