Best Retro Handheld

Associate
Hi Guys

Recently I've been looking into ways of playing older retro games via a handheld.

Does anybody have any ideas and recommendations. I know the steam deck is surpose to be a great all round machine but it's pricey.

Ive also seen cheaper little handhelds like the Miyoo Mini and Anbernic machines.

Any ideas guys?

Soldato
I have the Anbernic RG35XX, it's a great device especially since it's so cheap, mine was under £70 with shipping from a UK stockist.

Not perfect and build quality could be better but at this price point can be forgiven, the face buttons, dpad and screen are all pretty decent.

Plus you can put a different OS on it if you like and is very easy to do.

The previous model Miyoo Mini looked great but I can't imagine it being very comfortable to play due to the small size.

The new Miyoo Mini Plus is similar in size to the RG35XX and has been getting a lot of good praise, but it's more expensive and difficult to get hold of.

I'd recommend having a look at the hands on videos on YouTube and see which appeals the most. This fella has had a number of good videos https://youtube.com/@RetroGameCorps

Soldato
I'd echo checking out Retro Game Corps on YouTube. It's what I watched a lot of before getting my Anbernic device.

About a year ago I went for the 351p, which is a horizontal setup, as opposed to the vertical gameboy-style ones. It's down to your personal preference which shape to go for (the 35xx in classic Gameboy colours is a lovely looking unit)

Screen's pretty small on these ones, but there's an Anbernic 505 (iirc) that's bigger and more powerful: can play a good proportion of GameCube games, whereas the smaller ones top out at Dreamcast.

Associate
OP
I have the Anbernic RG35XX, it's a great device especially since it's so cheap, mine was under £70 with shipping from a UK stockist.

Not perfect and build quality could be better but at this price point can be forgiven, the face buttons, dpad and screen are all pretty decent.

Plus you can put a different OS on it if you like and is very easy to do.

The previous model Miyoo Mini looked great but I can't imagine it being very comfortable to play due to the small size.

The new Miyoo Mini Plus is similar in size to the RG35XX and has been getting a lot of good praise, but it's more expensive and difficult to get hold of.

I'd recommend having a look at the hands on videos on YouTube and see which appeals the most. This fella has had a number of good videos https://youtube.com/@RetroGameCorps

Yeah I had a look at the RG35XX. Only issue was no emulator for N64 which I would have liked. The price point looks good but as I said shame about no N64.

Associate
OP
I'd echo checking out Retro Game Corps on YouTube. It's what I watched a lot of before getting my Anbernic device.

About a year ago I went for the 351p, which is a horizontal setup, as opposed to the vertical gameboy-style ones. It's down to your personal preference which shape to go for (the 35xx in classic Gameboy colours is a lovely looking unit)

Screen's pretty small on these ones, but there's an Anbernic 505 (iirc) that's bigger and more powerful: can play a good proportion of GameCube games, whereas the smaller ones top out at Dreamcast.

Yeah I've just looked at that 505 looked a good machine. I don't think I'd want to spend that kind of money though. If I was going to spend that I would rather put it towards a steamdeck.

Preferably I would prefer a horizontal machine the 35XX looked perfect but no N64 emulator and I'm not sure if I would want a non horizontal one.

Soldato
Yeah I had a look at the RG35XX. Only issue was no emulator for N64 which I would have liked. The price point looks good but as I said shame about no N64.
N64 is coming now the GPU has been unlocked. It wont be perfect mind.
If you want N64 specifically, the RP3+ or wait for the Anbernic 405M.
I’ve held out getting the RP3+ as wanted a vertical device for retro games. Horizontal suits newer systems and i didnt use my psp go much due to not liking how horizontal felt playing PSX

Caporegime
N64 is coming now the GPU has been unlocked. It wont be perfect mind.
If you want N64 specifically, the RP3+ or wait for the Anbernic 405M.
I’ve held out getting the RP3+ as wanted a vertical device for retro games. Horizontal suits newer systems and i didnt use my psp go much due to not liking how horizontal felt playing PSX
You seen the new Retroid clamp shell design?

It looks great I think, I want one. The sticks will be rubbish though but the games I play on it, 16bit and older, don't need them anyway.

Soldato
You seen the new Retroid clamp shell design?

It looks great I think, I want one. The sticks will be rubbish though but the games I play on it, 16bit and older, don't need them anyway.
My issue with RP3+ or RP flip would be the Android OS. Id probably spend more time configuring emulators and emulator settings than playing the games.
GarlicOS, MinUI, MustardOS and now Batacera are all quite simple in terms of flash and basic setup then really quick and easy to launch into games and play instantly - especially MinUI.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
I'm a big fan of the AYN Odin. I rate it over the RP3+. More power, great battery, and can play upto PS2 and Switch games (Not all of tham but a lot).

Being Android isn't problem, took me about 30 minutes to get it all set up with a lot of emulators thanks to Retro Game Corps tutorials.

Last edited:
Caporegime
I'm a big fan of the AYN Odin. I rate it over the RP3+. More power, great battery, and can play upto PS2 and Switch games (Not all of tham but a lot).

Being Android isn't problem, took me about 30 minutes to get it all set up with a lot of emulators thanks to Retro Game Corps tutorials.

The mental barrier I have with the AYN Odin is the price is getting close to a Steam Deck, which can do it all, which I also have.

Si.

Si.

Soldato
I have a Steam Deck also.. and I agree, it can do it all, more than the Odin, however, the size difference is significant, the Odin is much easier to just throw in a bag and take with you. I tend to do all my retro gaming (PS2 and down) on the Odin, and PS3 and up on the Deck.

I paid a lot less for my Odin than my Steam Deck, about half the price.

Caporegime
I have a Steam Deck also.. and I agree, it can do it all, more than the Odin, however, the size difference is significant, the Odin is much easier to just throw in a bag and take with you. I tend to do all my retro gaming (PS2 and down) on the Odin, and PS3 and up on the Deck.

I paid a lot less for my Odin than my Steam Deck, about half the price.

I see it as a ladder from like £50 of the RG35XX (which is at the extreme end) to Steam Deck which is at the top. The closer i get to the steam deck, the more reluctant for me to buy. £150 would be my max really for a retro console. Which is about 1/3rd of my 256G Steam Deck.

Soldato
Old or current android phone with Bluetooth gamepad?
Definitely an option but personally I don't find this setup very convenient, and you need a controller which has a holder for the phone or you're trying to prop your phone up against something. And if you're out and about you end up rinsing the phone battery.

Whipping out my little Anbernic and playing a bit of Tetris and then chucking it in a pocket is much preferable.

Last edited:
Soldato
I've only got a Miyoo Mini i bought in Jan 22, it's well built (as long as it doesnt get dropped from what i've seen on reddit) and Onion OS is great. It's too small to use comfortably for more than about 20 minutes for me though.

I'm keeping an eye out for proper retail reviews on the KT-R1 when it starts shipping. It looks like it will be somewhere between the RP3+ & Odin Lite performance wise, but i'm interested in the 3:2 screen it looks like a good compromise for all of the old systems in a 4.5" device.

I'll probably wait until we see RK3588 chip devices, hopefully later in the year before i buy anything else. I'm not in a rush to buy anything.

Back
Top Bottom