Best Retro Handheld

Caporegime
It’ll work fine, I have a random brand 32G one I picked up in Daiso (Japanese Poundland) that I’m going to use for the H that’s on its way.
Cool.

I will use the 32GB one for the OS and order a larger one for games. Where did you get the H from and when's it due? i literally just bought it due to the form factor as I think the vertical ones would be less ergonomic for beat em up games. I don't expect it to be as mature as the other Anbernic consoles as it using a new H700 CPU, but I couldn't really find any other cheaper horizontal consoles.

Do you know if I can use 2 different 32Gb cards with different OS/CFW on them and switch between them, seamlessly? The games would be on the secondary card.
If I want to get rid of the sd card that comes with it on day one, is it just a case of using some windows/macos cloning tool to copy the contents of their card onto my own card? Or could I download their OS from somewhere and put it directly onto my own card in advance?

Edit: I was umming and ahhing over an RG505 tbh as I really want PSP content but that will cost over 120euros and I would need to deal with Android. Same for an RP3+ but that is over 200 euros!

rp2000

Last edited:
Caporegime
Cool.

I will use the 32GB one for the OS and order a larger one for games. Where did you get the H from and when's it due? i literally just bought it due to the form factor as I think the vertical ones would be less ergonomic for beat em up games. I don't expect it to be as mature as the other Anbernic consoles as it using a new H700 CPU, but I couldn't really find any other cheaper horizontal consoles.

Do you know if I can use 2 different 32Gb cards with different OS/CFW on them and switch between them, seamlessly? The games would be on the secondary card.
If I want to get rid of the sd card that comes with it on day one, is it just a case of using some windows/macos cloning tool to copy the contents of their card onto my own card? Or could I download their OS from somewhere and put it directly onto my own card in advance?

rp2000

I don’t know all the answers for that one I’m afraid.

What I do is use the smaller card for OS and a larger card for games and then keep the card it comes with as backup.

For the other consoles I have so far I use Garlic and Onion OS which I don’t think the H uses, so I will need to figure out when it arrives on which one is best.

I got mine from Aliexpress and should be here next week.

Side note, my Funnyplaying GBC has just landed in the country next week will be fun.

Soldato
I've finally picked up a miiyoo mini plus...
I have a hacked vita, psp, firestick and shield, but this makes my life so much easiler, I wish I got one sooner.
With onion os it's a breeze to setup, buttons mainly work and if not the onion os overlay for retroarch and mame makes life simple.

I think this will be my go to retro machine now and that intel nuc will never get built.. lol
tbh I mainly only play sega master system, super nintendo games and arcade games..

I wish it played rival schools, justice high and mvc2 but hey.. chances are that I won't play them anyway even if I could..
been playing midnight res, as we was talking about it at work... HEAVY MACHINE GUN!!! SHOWER!! 3-WAY!!! the voice on that game is amazing. :D

Soldato
My RGB30 was scheduled for delivery today but I had to bump it until Thursday as we are away... oh well, something fun to play with at the end of the week.

Soldato
I have a hacked vita, psp, firestick and shield, but this makes my life so much easiler, I wish I got one sooner.
With onion os it's a breeze to setup, buttons mainly work and if not the onion os overlay for retroarch and mame makes life simple.

I think this will be my go to retro machine now and that intel nuc will never get built.. lol
tbh I mainly only play sega master system, super nintendo games and arcade games..

I wish it played rival schools, justice high and mvc2 but hey.. chances are that I won't play them anyway even if I could..
been playing midnight res, as we was talking about it at work... HEAVY MACHINE GUN!!! SHOWER!! 3-WAY!!! the voice on that game is amazing. :D
Ever tried the Amiga version of Midnight Resistence? Music is incredible.

Not sure about the MM+ but Amiga on RG35XX is ok at best, RG35XX+ it runs much much better, almost perfect for most games i’ve tried.

Soldato
Ever tried the Amiga version of Midnight Resistence? Music is incredible.

Not sure about the MM+ but Amiga on RG35XX is ok at best, RG35XX+ it runs much much better, almost perfect for most games i’ve tried.
Naa it’s got to be the arcade version… I assigned the run rotation to the shoulder button…
I went to a retro con a few years back and the girl I went with was like “wow.. your really good at this game”.. I was like “errmmm I think I’ve spent 1000s on it as kid”… lol

We went to arcade club last year and I was running around looking for it.. sadly it wasn’t there.. tempted to buy the arcade and gift it to them so that more people can enjoy it.

Soldato
I've finally took the time today while watching the match to sort out my shield pro... took me ages to work out how to access the usb drive but it's now using th same files as I've got on the MM, configured one controller for it and just need to sort out the other one when I cba. :)

Caporegime
This just arrived, only booted up to check it's working and it's a gem of a device. Very well built for the money (paid £50). Also got the parts for my GBC build.

31zdtVW.jpg

YRXfvuV.jpg

Associate

my mm+ just arrived today. Love it to bits! Ive got a "patched" ps vita as well which is cool but i think the miyoo will be my goto train journey machine from now on. Got a better sd card coming tomorrow then will get it all onion'd up!

Caporegime
This just arrived, only booted up to check it's working and it's a gem of a device. Very well built for the money (paid £50). Also got the parts for my GBC build.

31zdtVW.jpg

YRXfvuV.jpg
Mine is due to arrive today. Not bad considering I ordered on Friday evening and it was Easter weekend!

To get myself back in the EMU groove I installed Batocera linux to a USB drive and played around with it by booting directly form the USB on my windows mini pc. It's so good that I'm gonna keep the USB drive and play some of the games that are too taxing for the RG35xxh on my desktop (Lenovo M90q tiny) connected to a TV! Hopefully most of the options settings I fiddled with will be very similar on the Batocera build for Anbernic devices.

I found some more micro SD cards so my plan is as follows:

Card 1 > copy the original Anbernic 64Gb card to this so I have one card with the stock content/OS
Card 2> install Batocera
Card 3> install MuOS

I can switch those 3 cards around in slot 1 to try the different OS and then I will have a 4th card in slot 2, that I will point all the OS crds to for loading content.

p.s. I'm unlikely to mess around with the hardware, as it will be brand new. The anbernic website says warranty is void once you load your own OS, but I'm sure if I put the original card back in they would honour the warranty. BUT, at a later date if I wanted to swap the face buttons for Playstation themed buttons, how hard do you think that would be?

rp2000

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mine is due to arrive today. Not bad considering I ordered on Friday evening and it was Easter weekend!

To get myself back in the EMU groove I installed Batocera linux to a USB drive and played around with it by booting directly form the USB on my windows mini pc. It's so good that I'm gonna keep the USB drive and play some of the games that are too taxing for the RG35xxh on my desktop (Lenovo M90q tiny) connected to a TV! Hopefully most of the options settings I fiddled with will be very similar on the Batocera build for Anbernic devices.

I found some more micro SD cards so my plan is as follows:

Card 1 > copy the original Anbernic 64Gb card to this so I have one card with the stock content/OS
Card 2> install Batocera
Card 3> install MuOS

I can switch those 3 cards around in slot 1 to try the different OS and then I will have a 4th card in slot 2, that I will point all the OS crds to for loading content.

p.s. I'm unlikely to mess around with the hardware, as it will be brand new. The anbernic website says warranty is void once you load your own OS, but I'm sure if I put the original card back in they would honour the warranty. BUT, at a later date if I wanted to swap the face buttons for Playstation themed buttons, how hard do you think that would be?

rp2000

The power on switch sliding on the PCB on the GBC was slightly bent and it snapped cleaned off when I turned it on the first time :(

Ah well, emailed them for replacement.....

Will set up Anbernic in the meantime.

Caporegime
The power on switch sliding on the PCB on the GBC was slightly bent and it snapped cleaned off when I turned it on the first time :(

Ah well, emailed them for replacement.....

Will set up Anbernic in the meantime.
RG-35XXH arrived. Transparent colour instead of the Black I ordered.

Will contact them and see what they say!

rp2000

Soldato
my mm+ just arrived today. Love it to bits! Ive got a "patched" ps vita as well which is cool but i think the miyoo will be my goto train journey machine from now on. Got a better sd card coming tomorrow then will get it all onion'd up!
to be fair mate, the card I got from the box is rapid as hell, 128GB too.. so I'm just going to leave it till I do another big rain forest shop again.

Caporegime
RG-35XXH arrived. Transparent colour instead of the Black I ordered.

Will contact them and see what they say!

rp2000
Requested a refund but cba tbh. I'm gonna keep it and request a partial refund for the wrong color :).
Struggling to order a RG35XX H from the Anbernic EU store, won't accept my shipping address :(

Is that the best place to get one of these from?

AliExpress, even though mine arrived in the wrong colour! I'm not sure exactly which page you are buying from, as the only Anbernic site I can see shows all prices in USD. But once you go to the checkout taxes and shipping massivley bump the price. It's £41 GBP on aliexpress including free delivery.

rp2000

Requested a refund but cba tbh. I'm gonna keep it and request a partial refund for the wrong color :).

AliExpress, even though mine arrived in the wrong colour! I'm not sure exactly which page you are buying from, as the only Anbernic site I can see shows all prices in USD. But once you go to the checkout taxes and shipping massivley bump the price. It's £41 GBP on aliexpress including free delivery.

rp2000

Thanks dude, I just ordered it from UK WhatGeek for £52.79 delivered with "free" shipping (which is probably coming from the far east anyway).

Discount code WGGG12

I know it can be had for cheaper, but I can't be arsed with waiting for AliExpress and I'm sure as hell not installing TikTok. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks dude, I just ordered it from UK WhatGeek for £52.79 delivered with "free" shipping (which is probably coming from the far east anyway).

Discount code WGGG12

I know it can be had for cheaper, but I can't be arsed with waiting for AliExpress and I'm sure as hell not installing TikTok. :D
AE should deliver from Anbernic in 8 days. My orders from Monday were collected by the courier today. Will keep fingers crossed.

My order with Powkiddy from AE would have been delivered in a week had it not been for me bumping the delivery date.

I wouldn't use/install tiktok either.

Besides the RGB30, I'm now waiting on an RG300X and RG35XX H, I think I've gone a bit handheld crazy...

Caporegime
The included 64GB card has a lot of content on it already. I've cloned it onto a decent Lexar card I had using Belana Etcher and swapped it over with no issues. I've kept the original card but by all accounts the quality is rubbish.
The stock OS is fine, if a bit bloated with so many systems I don't want. Has both a Retroarch launcher and Anbernic launcher. Accessing most retroarch functions and core stuff is the same as on windows.

Will dabble with other OSes and configuring the second sd card later tonight or tomorrow. For now I really like it. I can't put it down :D The transparent shell is actually pretty cool, so i'm less annoyed I didn't receive the black I ordered.

Might upload some photos later as well.

AE should deliver from Anbernic in 8 days. My orders from Monday were collected by the courier today.
I ordered 9pm on Friday and it arrived 3pm today. Less than 4 days!

rp2000

Last edited:
Caporegime
The included 64GB card has a lot of content on it already. I've cloned it onto a decent Lexar card I had using Belana Etcher and swapped it over with no issues. I've kept the original card but by all accounts the quality is rubbish.
The stock OS is fine, if a bit bloated with so many systems I don't want. Has both a Retroarch launcher and Anbernic launcher. Accessing most retroarch functions and core stuff is the same as on windows.

Will dabble with other OSes and configuring the second sd card later tonight or tomorrow. For now I really like it. I can't put it down :D The transparent shell is actually pretty cool, so i'm less annoyed I didn't receive the black I ordered.

Might upload some photos later as well.

I ordered 9pm on Friday and it arrived 3pm today. Less than 4 days!

rp2000

Are you planning to do single card or dual card? I am not sure on the file structure on dual cards for this.

Caporegime
Are you planning to do single card or dual card? I am not sure on the file structure on dual cards for this.
Dual cards looks complicated from what I read, and tbh everything I need will fit on the 64gb card.

But I like the flexibility of having all the rooms in 1 place so tomorrow I will try to get 2 cards working with batocera beta and/MuOS.

rp2000

Back
Top Bottom