Best savings account?

iirc fee is £5 but is refunded if you have 2 direct debits in there (i am planning on converting my current account to one once i close my santander account)
Yup, the £5 is refunded, and if you have a mortgage with them, you get another £3 a month, so extra £36 on top in a year.

So almost £300 a year. It's basically enough per month to pay for a mobile contract.

Last edited:
I put 4k in to open the account as I'm still shifting the other 1k around and it's getting £16-£17/mo in interest. The £5 from the rewards used to be £5 taken from the account and £7 put into a "wallet" but that's dropped down to £5, the wallet was supposed to be their version of debit card cashback and quidco but the offers were always a bit rubbish for me.

Chase have just pinged an offer. Open a nutmeg account through their app and deposit a grand until 30th June and they'll bung you a hundie.
Open a Nutmeg account through the link in your Chase app and pay in £1k before 5th (IIRC) April and then keep at least the minimum amount to keep the account open (£500 for most of them) in there until 30th June then shortly after you'll get £100 deposited into your Nutmeg account.

Looking into this at the moment. What's the best account (ISA or general investment account)?

If I select investment account, will I be charged a fee or can I hold an amount in the account without selecting an investment option?

And if I choose stocks and share ISA, will this prevent me from opening an S&S ISA elsewhere (i.e. Vanguard?)

Open a Nutmeg account through the link in your Chase app and pay in £1k before 5th (IIRC) April and then keep at least the minimum amount to keep the account open (£500 for most of them) in there until 30th June then shortly after you'll get £100 deposited into your Nutmeg account.
Which account?

There is General Investment, Stocks and Shares ISA or Junior ISA.

Looking into this at the moment. What's the best account (ISA or general investment account)?

If I select investment account, will I be charged a fee or can I hold an amount in the account without selecting an investment option?

And if I choose stocks and share ISA, will this prevent me from opening an S&S ISA elsewhere (i.e. Vanguard?)
Yeah I got a bit baffled by this yesterday and gave up.

Assuming no movement at all, Nutmeg will want like £10 a year on £1000. I went with ISA because I don't have an ISA anywhere else and I don't plan on opening one just yet (although I will start having an issue with £500/year if interest rates keep going up).

I guess we could open an ISA or GIA, invest in mostly bonds so it is as safe as can be, and then just take the £100 in June and run.

I believe you can have as many S&S ISAs as you want, as long as you don't breach the pay-in limits.

Yeah I got a bit baffled by this yesterday and gave up.

Assuming no movement at all, Nutmeg will want like £10 a year on £1000. I went with ISA because I don't have an ISA anywhere else and I don't plan on opening one just yet (although I will start having an issue with £500/year if interest rates keep going up).

I guess we could open an ISA or GIA, invest in mostly bonds so it is as safe as can be, and then just take the £100 in June and run.

I believe you can have as many S&S ISAs as you want, as long as you don't breach the pay-in limits.

There is a chance that in 2 months Stocks and ISA can drop 10%...it needs £1000 to open, then take £500 back out?

Select the low risk ISA...just in case, i guess that is the best tactic?

I just checked my tracker (@Diddums) and I closed my FD account on 07/09/2016. Maybe they have deleted all record of me? I have a dormant RBS account I could use. Maybe worth a punt!
Was going to say maybe it's worth a try.
Nothing to lose really. Especially if you have moved house. I guess it would be what they use to ID you. If it's done credit reference agency ID you won't get it. But if its something random you might.

Back
Top Bottom