Best savings account?

HSBC has just launched a fixed 7% regular saver , upto £250 a month

That's pretty good, I need to see what Nationwide will do once my existing 8% one ends, I guess the replacement is less.

I was with HSBC for ages but switched to Nationwide for all my account needs last year, still winning on the trade as I got cash to move across, and the fairer sharer payment earlier in the year, plus the 8% reg saver I was running since last Nov.

That's pretty good, I need to see what Nationwide will do once my existing 8% one ends, I guess the replacement is less.

I was with HSBC for ages but switched to Nationwide for all my account needs last year, still winning on the trade as I got cash to move across, and the fairer sharer payment earlier in the year, plus the 8% reg saver I was running since last Nov.

I have been using that too but not seen any interest accrued on it, do they drop when it matures?

I think the Nationwide regular saver is now 6.5%. Mine hit £2400 this month, maturing end of next month with around £115 interest but I don't think I will replace it as I have had 4 regular savers running for the last 9 months and they squeeze my budget pretty hard.

Coop and First Direct also offer 7% regulars

I think the Nationwide regular saver is now 6.5%. Mine hit £2400 this month, maturing end of next month with around £115 interest but I don't think I will replace it as I have had 4 regular savers running for the last 9 months and they squeeze my budget pretty hard.

Coop and First Direct also offer 7% regulars

I have that account too. I near enough at my free interest tax limit for the year, so I’ll just keep chucking it into premium bonds for now until I fill those. Then in April I’ll need to open a new regular saver I suspect.

Yep it pays on maturity.

Good and bad as it throws all the interest in at the same time so gotta be careful for the tax things.

I was fine until nationwide chucked me a free £100. I had to make a good few adjustments after that.

Last edited:
Just noticed Chip cash ISA on my app says 4.84%, but the website says 5.01%
For new accounts, if you use the code when opening it. Those of us who already have one just get the 4.84%

I was fine until nationwide chucked me a free £100. I had to make a good few adjustments after that.

I don’t think that is considered as gains.. and won’t affect interest or capital tax. It’s considered as a gift incentive, like getting x amount for opening a new account.

Edit: looking at nationwide’s site… it seems that I’m wrong and it should be considered as taxable income.

Last edited:
I don’t think that is considered as gains.. and won’t affect interest or capital tax. It’s considered as a gift incentive, like getting x amount for opening a new account.

Edit: looking at nationwide’s site… it seems that I’m wrong and it should be considered as taxable income.

Thats what I would have said taxable income. Not interest however!

Oof - that's annoying RE: the Nationwide £100. Although annoying in a weird way vs. a normal way :D

We get reward points at work which cause a headache re: adjusted net. You have to manage it so well.

Oof - that's annoying RE: the Nationwide £100. Although annoying in a weird way vs. a normal way :D

We get reward points at work which cause a headache re: adjusted net. You have to manage it so well.

Yes, it’s a good kind of annoying at least. It meant I had to rework my numbers and accounts. For now I just chuck any excess into premium bonds, I find the randomness and ‘prizes’ quite fun. I’ll then just move onto ISAs I think.

It seems Nationwide are treating it as savings income (not interest) so they must have agreed this with HMRC.

They could easily beat any HMRC challenge to it being a fixed amount by saying its not its a variable rate interest bonus, and at that point it would be compliant so suspect HMRC would have given up.
Also ofc many people don't use their £1k misc income allowance anyway so it would just fall into that bucket.

Last edited:
Had a text my 0% on my M&S card is up. It has worked hard for me the last few months, so transferring £5k over to a Tesco 27 month card. There is a 3% fee so it's cost me £150 but I figure even when Zopa drops I'll still do more than £150; and the security of having the cash spare is nice.

I'll put it in a separate pot so I don't have to think about it.

Back
Top Bottom