Best savings account?

Chips doesn't ask for any ID verification when opening the account, is it normal?

I've noticed with a few of these accounts that I've opened recently that you can only fund and withdraw to a nominated bank account, and my understanding is that this is a way for the provider to reduce the level of checks they need to do for money laundering?

I don't have a Chip account so not sure if it's the same setup?

Why would it be total cringe?

Yep my winnings are tax free and I'm in the basic tax bracket for earnings. Obviously I'd have to pay tax on savings interest if over £1000 per year if not in ISAs.
Where is the information on this in bold? I've just done the questionnaire below

and it said I don't need to do a self assessment form... I'm a basic rate tax payer, but will earn over £2839 in interest if the rate of Zopa stays at 3.34..

Where is the information on this in bold? I've just done the questionnaire below

and it said I don't need to do a self assessment form... I'm a basic rate tax payer, but will earn over £2839 in interest if the rate of Zopa stays at 3.34..

The threshold for basic rate is £1,000 and you're above that.

Last edited:

Personal Savings Allowance - most people can earn up to £1,000 in interest without paying tax on it

Last edited:

What I believe is supposed to happen is that the bank tells HRMC and HRMC adjust your tax code to claw back the tax that's due.

Back
Top Bottom