Best savings account?

Finding and sticking with a good easy access saver is now exhausting with things changomg all the time :mad:

Honestly, I hate the ******* modern world.
Chip have been the market leading easy access account for a while now and they don't seem to be slowing down.

Open an account, stick it in there and forget about it

Was looking around the usual big UK banks the other day for savings and the rates are still rubbish.

Mortgage rates shoot up beyond base rate, even before rate announcements cause that's where they think it might go, savings, nah we need wait and see what happens.

Mines gone to like £988 on the lowest risk :D

I’m on the lowest risks too but almost parity.

7Ctd7Ct.png

Just noticed Coventry are offering a loyalty bond until end Aug 24 of 5.9%. As long as you don't need any access to the money for 14 months, you'll get £70 interest per £1000 upto 20k.

Just noticed Coventry are offering a loyalty bond until end Aug 24 of 5.9%. As long as you don't need any access to the money for 14 months, you'll get £70 interest per £1000 upto 20k.

That's pretty good!
I put in 4k into a 3 year in December thinking 4.75 was high as it was gonna go!
Now I can't have anything else that finishes that year as I thought the interest was annually paid and I'll be into paying tax! Derp!
I believe anyway.

Last edited:
Talk to me like I'm 10 years old. Keep the money where it is and change monthly deposit to new ISA or transfer it all to new ISA please?
On a calculator have this calculation in mind. Interest receivable tax allowance divided by the interest rate you're getting. This tells you the maximum you should have in your savings accounts that aren't sheltered from tax.

Example: You have funds in an account that pays 3.8% interest. Your allowance of interest earned before paying tax is £1,000 and on a calculator you express a % as a fraction by dividing it by a hundred if you're not comfortable using a % button. So in this example 1000 / 0.038 = £26,318, that's the maximum you should keep in those regular savings accounts. Any more and you'll pay tax on additional interest received beyond £1,000

Of course it isn't quite that simple because any interest you earn is added to your savings every month most likely, the interest rates will not remain static for the whole year (April - April) and it's harder to be precise if you have it in multiple accounts paying different interest levels. But it is an easy bit of math to understand if you're going to be close to the limit of needing to pay tax.

Unless there's a big disparity between interest received between non-ISA and ISA options, as can be the case, in general maxing out your ISA allowance is just a smart thing to do - it's protected from tax now and forever more. Although not quite as straight forward as moving money between bank accounts, it's still perfectly possible to move ISAs around between providers annually (or whatever period you lock in) in future years to get better deals too.

Back
Top Bottom