Best savings account?

So I'm fully set up.

I'm on
Lloyd's 400ppm 5.25pc fixed for 12 months
First direct 300ppm 7.0pc fixed for 12 months.
Nationwide's 4.75pc fixed rate bond for 3 years (no withdrawals) with 5k in

The regular savers aren't great but with the nationwide bond sucking up the lump sum they suit right now.

Didn't want to fix for longer than 3 years without withdrawal option.

I noticed that most fix rate bonds have dropped from the 5pc peak they hit a month ago

Last edited:
So I'm fully set up.

I'm on
Lloyd's 400ppm 5.25pc fixed for 12 months
First direct 300ppm 7.0pc fixed for 12 months.
Nationwide's 4.75pc fixed rate bond for 3 years (no withdrawals) with 5k in

The regular savers aren't great but with the nationwide bond sucking up the lump sum they suit right now.

Didn't want to fix for longer than 3 years without withdrawal option.

I noticed that most fix rate bonds have dropped from the 5pc peak they hit a month ago

If the rate goes up again this week by 0.5%, saving rate will be back to close to 5%.

Been following the rates like a hawk last 6 months, spreading the sale of a property in 85-50k chunks.

I've got everything sat in the Santander 2.75% (2.72% after tax) savings account.

Cant be bothered with drip feeding money in to the other capped savings accounts at 5-7% as in reality its only like 3.2/3.5% and im not going to open up and go through the hassle of standing orders every month for the sake of an extra £150p/yr

I've got everything sat in the Santander 2.75% (2.72% after tax) savings account.

Cant be bothered with drip feeding money in to the other capped savings accounts at 5-7% as in reality its only like 3.2/3.5% and im not going to open up and go through the hassle of standing orders every month for the sake of an extra £150p/yr
Doing similar. Got the lump sum in Santander but doing the Natwest 5% at £150pcm as already have an account and took seconds to set up.

Got a LISA setup as nearing 40 now. S&S ISA setup on Moneybox but performance is pretty dire.

At what point does the tax free savings allowance fall from £1000 to £500? It says higher rate tax payer, is that 40% or 45%? I'm into the 40% tax band so I think I only get £500?

Last edited:
Doing similar. Got the lump sum in Santander but doing the Natwest 5% at £150pcm as already have an account and took seconds to set up.

Got a LISA setup as nearing 40 now. S&S ISA setup on Moneybox but performance is pretty dire.

At what point does the tax free savings allowance fall from £1000 to £500? It says higher rate tax payer, is that 40% or 45%?
40% in England.

Premium bonds are tax free. If you have the max 50k in you tend to get close to the advertised rate, now 3%. Tend to be better as easy access for higher rate payers, you'd need to fix at higher than 5% for savings accounts to be viable.

Last edited:

I have Barclays's Rainy Day wit 5% but that has a cap of £5k. I also got in on the Santander is 2.73% too but that was like back in October, I feel like there has to be more and better rates now.

Santander's Edge saver pays 4% on balances up to £4,000 but you need the current account for that.

Same here, got a lump in there earning a decent amount every month.

Back
Top Bottom