Best savings account?

Think I managed 8 as I used mine and the other halfs allowance. God, we got so lucky. The house we wanted went up to 475 and we low balled at 450. Thanks to Brexit they panicked and accepted.

Nice! I know 4k was (at the time) max.
I moved my HTB to Lisa when you could penalty free. So I never missed a year.
Lucky as HTB limit was 250k and this house was 260.

Was Lisa 400? Or 500?
Cant remember if there was London uplift

Last edited:
Nice! I know 4k was (at the time) max.
I moved my HTB to Lisa when you could penalty free. So I never missed a year.
Lucky as HTB limit was 250k and this house was 260.

Was Lisa 400? Or 500?
Cant remember if there was London uplift
LISA was 450k max irrespective of location

I setup a LISA using Moneybox to save up for my first house. If you contribute £4000 per tax year the government add £1000 extra for free. I noticed this doesn’t have to be used for your first house but can also be used as a pension pot. Anyone else using it for this purpose?
We're throwing in monthly to a LISA to hit the £1k bonus/year too and will do so until we're ready to buy in 4 or 5 years time.
Using it for a first house purchase and since I’m not in London I won’t ever hit the threshold for a 1st time property price.
/side eyes Edinburgh house prices ;)

Last edited:
I cant remember where I read it but some very enterprising person in the UK found out the time of the day after close of business that the banks applied interest to customers account balance.
The time was not fixed across all the banks, it varied quite a bit, say ranging between 18:00 and 23:59.

The person then did a magic roundabout of shuffling £25K from bank to bank during the evening, leaving it in one account until interest credited, then sfuffling it to another account where the interest had not yet been applied.

Needless to say the banks put a stop to it, possibly due to a flood of magic roundabout shufflers making it noticable?

Last edited:
Aren't the BoE meeting today? Inflation is still way over their limit, so expecting another perhaps .25 rise. I imagine Chip, Kroo and few others will be racing to up their rates again.

Starlings 1 year fixed saver went up to 5.25% today, so the banks are definitely privy to, or strongly expecting a rise.

Aren't the BoE meeting today? Inflation is still way over their limit, so expecting another perhaps .25 rise. I imagine Chip, Kroo and few others will be racing to up their rates again.

Starlings 1 year fixed saver went up to 5.25% today, so the banks are definitely privy to, or strongly expecting a rise.

Atom has been at 6.05% for awhile. I'll probably do fixed soon , currently have in Chip easy access

Back
Top Bottom