Best savings account?

Short-dated gilts with very low-interest rates/coupons, much better for tax too*.

Gilts are totally free from CGT and so you're only paying income tax on the very low coupon!

Last edited:
Short-dated gilts with very low-interest rates/coupons, much better for tax too*.

Gilts are totally free from CGT and so you're only paying income tax on the very low coupon!
Would this not be treated as income from dividends? Thus the tax on coupon payments would be lower as the rates are lower than those for income tax (assuming you are a higher rate tax payer who goes over the personal savings allowance).

Wasn't aware that gilts were free from CGT

Has anybody else had a message from Chase recently about a compromised merchant? I've received such a message today, also telling me that they've changed my virtual card details and to check my transactions since the beginning of the year. When I phoned Chase, they say that they don't know which merchant. :confused:

The message is definitely from Chase as it's in the chat section of their app when I login.

so your putting it into Premium bonds for a short term ? i would stick it in chip

Interest isn't worth worrying about it'll be so short.
At least in premium bonds there's a chance to win a chunk.

And I'll breach the tax free limit if I put it in a normal account

Last edited:
barclays Rainy day saver @ 5.12% (on up to 5K)

the rest, look at Money saving expert and find the best regular saving account that will take 500 a month

Exactly what I would say.

Lloyd's have a 6.25pc regular saver for 400ppm
And the barc 5k 5pc lump sum.

Both of those work well for this case

Would this not be treated as income from dividends? Thus the tax on coupon payments would be lower as the rates are lower than those for income tax (assuming you are a higher rate tax payer who goes over the personal savings allowance).

Wasn't aware that gilts were free from CGT

Nope, income tax is charged on interest from savings, gilts, other bonds etc.. at the regular income tax rates (with some allowances etc..).

So the angle here is to take advantage of Gilts paying a very low-interest rate and avoid tax because otherwise (assuming the ISA has been maxed out) you'd be paying say 40% or 45% on that interest if held in a bank account.

Basically, you can get a 66% or so higher return vs savings.

Last edited:
ISA question

I don't currently have an ISA but want to open one, just a question about transferring in money. If I opened a new ISA now and put in 5k say, is their a cut off for when I can transfer more in, would it be the next tax year, April?

April to April.

So I can transfer in say another 5k in 3-4 months time?

And then next April If I had funds available I could then put in the full 20k.

See I have bond thats not tax free and it has a large amount in it, so I want to eventually move some of this into an ISA, so trying to work out best time to open an ISA.

Last edited:
So I can transfer in say another 5k in 3-4 months time?

And then next April If I had funds available I could then put in the full 20k.

See I have bond thats not tax free and it has a large amount in it, so I want to eventually move some of this into an ISA, so trying to work out best time to open an ISA.

You can put in £20k between April to April, it resets on April 6th. If you take some out, it does NOT lower it. So if you put in £20k, and then take £10k out. You cannot put that £10k back in until next April.

Yep realise the 20k limit, was just unsure if I can make numerous transfers in, over one tax year.

Yeah, if the product allows it it's fine.
Also to be aware..
You can open a Stocks isa and a cash in same tax year. And contribute to both.
But.. 20k limit is split combined for stocks and shares and cash.
Just in case you have a S&S account already!

If you put 10k in one, you can only put 10k in the other that tax year.

Yeah, if the product allows it it's fine.
Also to be aware..
You can open a Stocks isa and a cash in same tax year. And contribute to both.
But.. 20k limit is split combined for stocks and shares and cash.
Just in case you have a S&S account already!

If you put 10k in one, you can only put 10k in the other that tax year.

I just had a look and the fixed rate isa from nationwide for example only allows a lump sum upon opening, so I will leave it for now.

Back
Top Bottom