Best savings account?

My Santander interest landed today too, a nice £67.

Although I noticed that Moneybox have released an easy-access cash ISA recently paying 5%. Tempted to get my wife to open that and dump the Santander savings into that instead.
Make sure you read the t&cs as there is a limit/ interest rate penalty on withdrawals

Not really saving account but something like this. Isn't it a gamble ? Ie you could loose it all of a sudden? I don't understand it so I don't risk things like this but it sounds profitable

Last edited:
Not really saving account but something like this. Isn't it a gamble ? Ie you could loose it all of a sudden? I don't understand it so I don't risk things like this but it sounds profitable

Investing in the stock market always carries risk but in the long term its usually a winner. Stick to an index tracker rather than individual stocks imo.

Cash ISA if you want zero risk.

Like most investment stories.when it starts by saying save £600 a month that wipes out a huge number of people that could only dream on having that much spare income a month.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but wouldn't the dividend income be taxable to? Or can you pull out an amount per year from an ISA tax free?

Like most investment stories.when it starts by saying save £600 a month that wipes out a huge number of people that could only dream on having that much spare income a month.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but wouldn't the dividend income be taxable to? Or can you pull out an amount per year from an ISA tax free?
Any return in the ISA is tax free and the allowance stacks each year, you can build a significant tax free income source.

Last edited:
What happens if you earn more than your annual allowance in interest and are not someone that does self assessment?

If you go over your allowance​

You pay tax on any interest over your allowance at your usual rate of Income Tax.

If you’re employed or get a pension, HMRC will change your tax code so you pay the tax automatically. To decide your tax code, HMRC will estimate how much interest you’ll get in the current year by looking at how much you got the previous year.

If you complete a Self Assessment tax return, report any interest earned on savings there.

You need to register for Self Assessment if your income from savings and investments is over £10,000. Check if you need to send a tax return if you’re not sure.

If you’re not employed, do not get a pension or do not complete Self Assessment, your bank or building society will tell HMRC how much interest you received at the end of the year. HMRC will tell you if you need to pay tax and how to pay it.

Thanks, further questions:

1: How does one find out what their current annual interest is across all products?
2: Does it always run April to April regardless of when an account was opened? i.e. Say you open an account in December 2023, only the interest earnings on that account from December 2023 through to the following April 2024 are included in that years interest earnings?

Thanks, further questions:

1: How does one find out what their current annual interest is across all products?
2: Does it always run April to April regardless of when an account was opened? i.e. Say you open an account in December 2023, only the interest earnings on that account from December 2023 through to the following April 2024 are included in that years interest earnings?
1) Keep a track. Each provider will provide you with an interest statement usually a month or 2 after the tax year ends. Spreadsheet will help you.
2) Tax year is always the same and tax is due in the tax year you can access the interest. Your example is true for monthly interest payments, but for annual payment the full amount would be taxable in the 24/25 tax year.

Back
Top Bottom