Best savings account?

I need to follow my own advice, I'm currently with Shawbrook and they're paying 3.72% but advertising 4.7%.

I just logged in to see a message, "if you want to upgrade to the new rate just send us a message and we'll do the rest"

How about applying the rate automatically.I bet I won't need to apply when they lower the rate.
:mad:

That's the sort of thing that'll make me cancel an account to be honest.

I did something similar @GeX recently

I had World P and then added a Fidelity US Index P split to see how it goes and then leave it alone. The thinking was one can be held longterm and the child can dip into one at a milestone for something. Do need to stick to it and then leave it alone though as far too many options available.

Another fund that looked good but for my own account was Vanguard's FTSE Developed World UCITS ETF (VHVG) over VWRP and All Cap.

Aye, we put £100 a month into a cash savings account each month for each kid - after 12 months that drops into another account and from there I'll funnel it into their ISAs and invest as it seems appropriate at the time.

I do need to then sort out what my investments are doing too, before the end of the tax year!

No. The bonus rate will continue until for another year, the underlying rate is variable

Access ISA pot rates:
Your rate: 5.08% AER (4.96% gross) variable
New customer rate: 5.08% AER (4.96% gross) variable. This is made up of the new underlying rate of 4.58% AER (4.48% gross) variable, plus the fixed 0.5% AER/gross bonus rate

Chat confirmation

Hi there, welcome to Zopa, you're through to Sipho.
Yes that is correct, you will receive that rate until the 6th of April 2025.

Access ISA pot rates:
Your rate: 5.08% AER (4.96% gross) variable
New customer rate: 5.08% AER (4.96% gross) variable. This is made up of the new underlying rate of 4.58% AER (4.48% gross) variable, plus the fixed 0.5% AER/gross bonus rate

Chat confirmation

Hi there, welcome to Zopa, you're through to Sipho.
Yes that is correct, you will receive that rate until the 6th of April 2025.
Yes as it says..... 4.58% is variable I.e it can change at any time. Only the bonus rate is fixed as you confirmed.

The top isa are from
chip
Zopa
Virgin money.
And maybe somone I've missed.
I would rather sacrifice a little bit on the interest rate for good customer service. Who would be the least painless to deal with.

The top isa are from
chip
Zopa
Virgin money.
And maybe somone I've missed.
I would rather sacrifice a little bit on the interest rate for good customer service. Who would be the least painless to deal with.
never had any issues with Chip personally.
Had to delink accounts multiple times and it's a simple message and it's done quickly.

Started set up a chip account, then they want 90 day access to my account. They can **** right off.
That's for withdrawals and deposits under the easy current account link everyone uses. It links the account for 3 months at which point you have to relink again.

You can delink it at any point you don't have to wait 3 months.

What do you think they are going to do? it's through official means everyone uses

Last edited:
What happens to the tax burden in joint savings accounts when one is on the additional rate and the other is on the basic rate?

@Dirk Diggler

That doesn't really matter, the default position of the HMRC (unless a declaration is made otherwise) is that the interest is apportioned 50:50 on joint accounts, so each person just includes 50% of the interest into their overall position and pays the relevant tax due.

@Dirk Diggler

That doesn't really matter, the default position of the HMRC (unless a declaration is made otherwise) is that the interest is apportioned 50:50 on joint accounts, so each person just includes 50% of the interest into their overall position and pays the relevant tax due.

Thanks, as much as it pains me - I'll leave it in the wife's sole account. :p

Back
Top Bottom